Author Topic: 2019 Formula 1  (Read 15772 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: 2019 Formula 1
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2019, 09:16:56 am »
Biggest problem right there, stewards are very inconsistent. Either let it be a racing incident all the time unless there is damage/ contact or whatever, or always call to the letter of the law.

Personally, I would rather see more stuff be left as "racing incident".

That's what's been happening the last few years, and it created a situation that drivers were unsure of what they could get away with or not. They literally begged the stewards to enforce the letter of the law because of this, and now they are, and now they're all itchbaying when it affects them negatively. Every drivers meeting, they ask the stewards to enforce it, and then complain when they get slapped because of it.

No one itchbayed when Ricciardo got two 5s penalties in a race, like Vettel did, and Vettel was only showboating because he wanted everyone to focus on the call itself, rather than admit (and let people analyze) that he was 100% in the wrong. He broke down under pressure, and that's how the situation was created in the first place. He consistently breaks down under pressure from any other driver, and only does well when he's cruising out front alone.

Both Hamilton and Verstappen do fine under pressure.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2019, 10:45:55 am »
Canada was a 50/50 call in my opinion. I would say that Mercedes easily has the political clout with the FIA to get those 50/50 calls to go their way.

It did look like Vettel swung wide on purpose, but still debatable.

I am disappointed in the Verstappen pass as he basically ran Leclerc off the track and left him no space when he was still ahead, and ran wide and by bumping him basically took away any chance of fighting back by the next turn as he had upset the car.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2001 Subaru WRX STi Tommy Kaira M20b; 2019 Ascent Touring
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2019, 10:58:25 am »
I am disappointed in the Verstappen pass as he basically ran Leclerc off the track and left him no space when he was still ahead, and ran wide and by bumping him basically took away any chance of fighting back by the next turn as he had upset the car.

Totally disagree here, inside line was clear, he took track position & gained the racing line all while staying on the racetrack. If anything from watching it a bunch of times, Leclerc turned in, corrected then turned into and hit Max. If anything should have been 5 sec penalty to Leclerc as he had to yield to Max, which he did not and instead consciously hit him.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:07 am »
I'm in the middle on this one. Verstappen held his line and from the onboard, he definitely does NOT release the wheel to push Leclerc out. Leclerc does turn in, but I suspect he was just trying to keep 2 wheels on the track so that he didn't get penalized if he was able to get some momentum out of the corner. This, to me, is the definition of "racing incident".

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:32 pm »
I think it's a racing incident. Jolyon's perspective is good. Max isn't far enough ahead to "have the corner" so all da time you have to leave a da space.

Who's ahead at the apex? Half a car length? Who has the right to line? When they're along side they won't have evidence to sway either way. So leave a space, and race cleaner?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »
This, to me, is the definition of "racing incident".

Yeah I am okay with that, the precedent is set. I think as long as it's just hard driving it is all good and I want to see more of that instead of 2 hour slot-car race.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2019, 01:02:27 pm »
Totally disagree here, inside line was clear, he took track position & gained the racing line all while staying on the racetrack. If anything from watching it a bunch of times, Leclerc turned in, corrected then turned into and hit Max. If anything should have been 5 sec penalty to Leclerc as he had to yield to Max, which he did not and instead consciously hit him.

Turned into him? He was attempting to turn to stay on track. The initial correct he made at turn in was not to hit Verstappen then he knew he was going to get run off the track and attempted to keep 2 wheels on track because if he did not he would have then been forced to give up the position either way.

As Jolyon said the rules state you cannot intentionally run another car off track. There was just not enough evidence to prove he did exactly that. What basically happened here is Verstappen intentionally pushed him off the track without making it look like he did it. He unwound the steering just enough to push to the edge of the circuit.

The call was made with the evidence the stewards had in front of them. It is also on Leclerc for leaving him too much space on the inside which allowed for that move.

Offline Scooby Brew

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2019, 03:25:14 pm »
It is also on Leclerc for leaving him too much space on the inside which allowed for that move.

This is the first thing the stewards look at, however you have said it last as an after thought. Leclerc gave up the inside line, which allowed Max to control the racing line and sequence of events. This super important to keep in mind as it is the basis for the ruling.

Turned into him? He was attempting to turn to stay on track. The initial correct he made at turn in was not to hit Verstappen then he knew he was going to get run off the track and attempted to keep 2 wheels on track because if he did not he would have then been forced to give up the position either way.

So again, think that now Max has the racing line, you cannot impede another car making a legitimate pass who has the racing line. Leclerc has no choice but to brake and concede the track position to Max that he has fairly gained. Remember Leclerc took the outside line of his own doing and made no attempt to protect that line prior to the corner. However, Leclerc makes an initial turn in, turns back out and then turns in again with full control as seen on his on-board cam. He consciously tried to keep the racing line when in fact he had already lost it to Max, which resulted in the wheel to wheel contact.

As Jolyon said the rules state you cannot intentionally run another car off track. There was just not enough evidence to prove he did exactly that. What basically happened here is Verstappen intentionally pushed him off the track without making it look like he did it. He unwound the steering just enough to push to the edge of the circuit.

Of course you cannot intentionally run a car off the track, but Max was full lock on the wheel then eased out. He had the racing line at this point and there were no jerky motion to indicate either he did not have control or was trying to push Leclerc off. Again this all agrees with the stewards ruling.

Any-who my point is this should have never been reviewed. The stewards had like 4 or 5 angles plus the on-boards and then driver interviews on top of that. They had all the info, there was nothing unknown, takes 30 seconds to make the call. It's simple, Leclerc got passed by a car, that at the very least had better tires. Even Vettel said it is getting stupid and it is time for the FIA to just point blank say it is a racing incident and get on with it.

I think I made a fair point, but if you want to disagree it is what it is.

Online Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2019, 03:22:40 pm »
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:01 pm »
Ahahahahahahahaas.....

https://jalopnik.com/haas-f1-sponsor-rich-energy-claims-to-have-terminated-c-1836250021

Poor Haas.  Bad weekend for them and as for Rich Energy...  Who are they even?  I feel bad for Gunther.  They look like a bunch of wankers.

So many highlights this race.  Anyone catch Kvyat speaking Italian at the end?  Vettel's turning into Torpedo and Dani's turning into Vettel. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Online Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »
Poor Haas.  Bad weekend for them and as for Rich Energy...

I think you mean Lightening Volt

https://jalopnik.com/embattled-f1-sponsor-rich-energy-is-now-lightning-volt-1836415910
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2019, 10:41:48 am »
Even though Mercedes ran away with it this weekend, seeing the RBR and Ferrari cars battling back and forth throughout was fantastic. They are very closely matched on some circuits and I hope that the McLarens can catch up to them before the end of the season.
When Vettel first hit Max, he reacted as though he wasn't at fault, so I was glad to see that by the end of the race, he had changed his opinion and taken the blame.  I mean, what are we doing here? haha

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2019, 09:41:35 am »
What. A. Race.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2019, 12:29:53 am »
What. A. Race.

SO RIDICULOUS! So much Formula Drift bSo many position swaps! If they added strategy of the day, Racing Point would take it because that was hilarious good.

Great feels for all the podium winners. Such heartbreak for all retirees.

That 54 sec pitstop though. And then 5 sec penalty. Just wow!

New table slam meme coming up.

Palmer's got his work cut out for him

Online Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2019, 08:29:48 am »
New table slam meme coming up.

Oh wait, can't find it yet....

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2019, 07:40:14 pm »
Did anyone else see the reddit post where this was the one weekend Mercedes was allowing Netflix to film them? Can't wait for that episode!

Online Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2019, 07:36:07 am »
Did anyone else see the reddit post where this was the one weekend Mercedes was allowing Netflix to film them? Can't wait for that episode!

Hahaha, yes. Gon be lit AF.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:48 am »
The tire scuffle when Lewis went into the pits will make for extra dramatic Netflix.

I got decimated once again in the pool. Polaris, htf are you doing so good!?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2019, 02:55:22 pm »
I got decimated once again in the pool. Polaris, htf are you doing so good!?
I'm surprised I didn't drop a few places because I put so many eggs in the Mercedes basket, but having Kvyat and Sainz really saved my assay this week haha

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2019, 12:48:00 pm »
I'm surprised I didn't drop a few places because I put so many eggs in the Mercedes basket, but having Kvyat and Sainz really saved my assay this week haha

I honestly have not been paying attention to my fantasy pool whatsoever. Really should get into it to try and redeem myself soon here lol. One more race and then the summer break! Going to be odd not seeing F1 for a few weeks!

Online Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2019, 10:02:54 am »

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2019, 12:32:41 pm »
https://jalopnik.com/lewis-hamilton-may-block-netflix-from-including-footage-1836868525

What a uckfayin' itchbay-out move.

I think they may just not show Lewis in certain states. If he was throwing up or whatever, they may just have to exclude that. I can't see them NOT using the footage from the garage while Lewis was out on the track - just seems insane to me.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2019, 01:18:38 pm »

Online Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2019, 01:26:23 pm »
I think they may just not show Lewis in certain states. If he was throwing up or whatever, they may just have to exclude that. I can't see them NOT using the footage from the garage while Lewis was out on the track - just seems insane to me.

Disagree, he's the type of guy to just say: "no, I wasn't on form due to illness, cut out all my scenes". It's not like they would show him in the garage cryin' ruth anyways, it doesn't fit with the show.

Lewis is fully about his image, and having his scenes cut out is exactly what I would expect from him. Guy wanted to retire the car when it was clear that he wasn't gonna be able to contend anymore and, lo and behold, 2 cars get the ole' DSQ and he's up into 9th in the points. It's a very Hamilton thing to do.