Author Topic: Cool-guy AGV AX-8 DS motorbike helmet cheap  (Read 304 times)

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2000 OBS EJ222 +MFT, KTM Duke 390, 1996 Ford E350 SD ambulance
Cool-guy AGV AX-8 DS motorbike helmet cheap
« on: January 05, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
I bought this AGV AX-8 dual sport on sale thinking i could simply swap out the cheek pads and top pad and get a size L fit (the shells are the same and the website says you can do it), but the stupid worthless company stopped making the pads and stuff I need even though it says its available for purchase on the website.

Helmet is XL and is just slightly too big for me to the point where I never wear it because its not worth it to look cool (and hot dang do you ever look cool).

Sorry for my ittshay cell phone pics. Garage lights are like mini suns and my phone cam lens is scratched all to itshay.
Made in 2010

Condition is quite good considering low use. Missing one screw from visor... I just noticed.

Price is $160 obo.
Located in calgary 11ave se near Franklin Station.
Must come pick up.

What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru Ford

Offline Mustard

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '07 STi LTD
Re: Cool-guy AGV AX-8 DS motorbike helmet cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 12:52:18 AM »
I really hate to be 'that guy,' bumming on your sale, but as a long time motorcycle instructor, I can't sit idly by...
Likely the reason you can't get new pads and what not is partially because Helmets have manufacturer recommended life spans, which is generally no longer than 7 years from manufacture. They likely aren't "supporting it," because it goes against their own policies about guidelines for when the helmet should be replaced, rather than re-outfitted with new foam.

What is the average life-span of an AGV helmet?

The helmet industry is fairly consistent with this question. Generally speaking, a helmet should be replaced either 5 years after date of purchase or 7 years after date of manufacturing, whichever comes first. Over time, changes in humidity and temperature can weaken the interior EPS liner and comfort liner within the helmet. Both of these layers play an important part in the dispersion of energy in the event of an impact. Replacing the helmet before these begin to break down is important for adequately protecting your noggin.

Essentially, the main "ingredient" of helmets is EPS... or fancy styrofoam. If you've ever found really old styrofoam in your closet, you know how brittle it gets as it ages. Particularly if it isn't stored properly. If impacted it will no longer act how it should- which is bad for anyone wearing it.

In the end, none of this really means anything, right up to the point it means everything.

SNELL, has a pretty good FAQ about helmets- https://www.smf.org/helmetfaq - and SNELL is a higher standard than DOT... so it's worth considering out.

Again, sorry man. I've just come across a number of people who don't know this, and I have a feeling you may be one of them (Not judging). As an instructor, we don't let anyone show of for our courses with anything older than 5 years. The number of folks I've told they can't wear their 20 year old helmet, cause they think "it'll be fine" is... astonishing.

Mods feel free to delete this if you feel it's against rules- or if the OP is adamant. I won't fight it.
- Mustard

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
Well no one is interested, could be that's why.
Its going in the dump this afternoon so no big deal.

I know ifs pretty variable what people are comfortable with which is why putting the date is always important.

Personally use eps foam quite a bit for both sub grade and uv exposed insulation and i dont find that any characteristics change and from an engineering standpoint dry poly styrene doesn't loose load bear capacity over time and is in fact often used in bridge approaches because of this.
Anyways I understand where it comes from, liability. A manufacturer can't reasonably say a helmet will definately protect you 6 years after they sell it. Some people are comfortable about drinking milk past the expiry date, some aren't. Helmet has more serious consequences than pooping your guts out but for me it's more of a meh.
Imo #1 thing is impacts. Dropping it off your shelf or if you fell and didn't hit your head or it fell off your handle bars while you impressed ladies on 17th, get a new one...
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru Ford

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
Has it ever been motovlogged in?

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
No but it's all set up.  8) 8) 8)
Subaru Ford

Offline Mustard

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '07 STi LTD
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »
Well no one is interested, could be that's why.
Its going in the dump this afternoon so no big deal.

I know ifs pretty variable what people are comfortable with which is why putting the date is always important.

Personally use eps foam quite a bit for both sub grade and uv exposed insulation and i dont find that any characteristics change and from an engineering standpoint dry poly styrene doesn't loose load bear capacity over time and is in fact often used in bridge approaches because of this.
Anyways I understand where it comes from, liability. A manufacturer can't reasonably say a helmet will definately protect you 6 years after they sell it. Some people are comfortable about drinking milk past the expiry date, some aren't. Helmet has more serious consequences than pooping your guts out but for me it's more of a meh.
Imo #1 thing is impacts. Dropping it off your shelf or if you fell and didn't hit your head or it fell off your handle bars while you impressed ladies on 17th, get a new one...

Yeah, impact is absolutely more of a deal breaker than age... never leave a helmet anywhere it could fall. I always hold it (looks cooler anyways, right?) or place it on the ground (if you're worried about it getting dirty, you're in the wrong sport :P)

There is something to said to personal risk tolerance, as well- I just wanted to say something because while almost everyone understands milk expiry dates, many people have no idea about helmet recommended life spans (as I can attest to with the old helmets showing up for our motorcycle courses).

Either way, I always cut the straps on my helmets when they expire... that way there's no chance anyone can use them.

Thanks for not tearing me a new one for 'jacking your sale.
- Mustard

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
I forgot to throw it out so it's still available. Buyer assumes all liability lol :haplo90:
Subaru Ford