Author Topic: Exhaust cutout in Canadian Climates?  (Read 947 times)

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
Exhaust cutout in Canadian Climates?
« on: April 02, 2019, 11:23:40 am »
I've been toying with the idea of adding an exhaust cutout just before the muffler in my STI to get a little bit of noise when I want it and silence when I don't. Has anyone run a cutout in the cold/salty/snowy winters? What was your experience?

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
Re: Exhaust cutout in Canadian Climates?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »
The salt and moisture are definitely what will kill the dump valve/components more than anything in a daily driver application. I have one on the exhaust of one of my trucks and at the moment it's completely ceased up after only a couple of winters post install. Of course higher quality components will ''typically'' stand up noticeably better and if you take the time to clean and lubricate things now and then you'll likely avoid the same trouble that I've experienced.

I've never ran one on my Subaru's, but I know Dustin H. had one on his JDM SF Forester and Geoff R. had one on his 2012 Sti. I believe they both ran them right off of the DP. They're both Saskatoon boys that I think you've met and I believe they're both still in the local FB group. That being said Dustin (Sask08STi on here) is likely the better one to inquire with as Geoff never has a car long enough to offfer feedback for situations like this.  ;D
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:46:24 pm »
The salt and moisture are definitely what will kill the dump valve/components more than anything in a daily driver application. I have one on the exhaust of one of my trucks and at the moment it's completely ceased up after only a couple of winters post install. Of course higher quality components will ''typically'' stand up noticeably better and if you take the time to clean and lubricate things now and then you'll likely avoid the same trouble that I've experienced.

I've never ran one on my Subaru's, but I know Dustin H. had one on his JDM SF Forester and Geoff R. had one on his 2012 Sti. I believe they both ran them right off of the DP. They're both Saskatoon boys that I think you've met and I believe they're both still in the local FB group. That being said Dustin (Sask08STi on here) is likely the better one to inquire with as Geoff never has a car long enough to offfer feedback for situations like this.  ;D

I totally forgot that Dustin had one on his SF. I'll have to send him a Facebook message. Thank you!

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:21:42 pm »
Lots of AMG people run them, but lots of AMG people garage their cars over winter.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:58:48 pm »
Or when it rains. :o
Lots of AMG people run them, but lots of AMG people garage their cars over winter.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)