Author Topic: WSC Sylvan Lake 2019 BBQ & Cruise - Saturday July 13, 2019  (Read 3131 times)

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
WSC Sylvan Lake 2019 BBQ & Cruise - Saturday July 13, 2019
« on: January 29, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
Current Status: I will update the top section of this thread with recent information. I'm posting this thread quite early this year to provide advance notice of a firm date, that way people can arrange their schedule and we don't have to 'vote' on dates. I hope to see everyone there!

Please don't bring macaroni salad this year ;D We literally had 10 containers of it last year. I know it's the easiest thing to bring, but we literally wasted sooo much of it last year and someone said it was my fault, so this is my fair warning!!

THEY IMPLEMENTED PAID PARKING LAST YEAR. $2.00/ hour; $10.00/ day.  CREDIT CARD / COINS ACCEPTED ONLY. No ATM.

Draven Performance has generously offered to Sponsor our BBQ for this year with a $150.00 Gift-Card Giveaway!!

Each person in attendance this year will receive 1 x Entry Ticket into a raffle that we will draw at random during the afternoon of our BBQ. Winner will receive a $150.00 Gift-Card to use at Draven Performance that is managed by our friend Corey McKeigan. Although Corey isn't very active here on the WSC Forums, he's still very active within our community and has helped many of our members find good deals on various performance parts, wheels, alignments, etc. and has even helped members with installing those parts in their garages.

You can contact Corey via their Facebook Page here: https://www.facebook.com/dravenperformance/

Or check out their website here: https://dravenperformance.com/

TL;DR - Same plan as the past few years.

Credit: RedndWhite

Date: SATURDAY JULY 13, 2019
Edmonton and Calgary Cruise Meet-Up: 9:00am
Edmonton and Calgary Cruise DEPARTURE: 9:30am
Edmonton & Calgary MEET in Red Deer: 11:00am
Edmonton & Calgary DEPART from Red Deer to Sylvan: 11:15am

This is a pot-luck style BBQ event! Please bring (1) item to contribute to the table of food! Burgers, buns, soda, water, chips, and other snacks, etc. are all good!!
Also bring folding lawn chairs! If you have any footballs/ frisbees/ games etc. bring those too!

Please comment within this thread if you can provide any of the above!

Please read the below details carefully. There will be planned cruise(s) departing from both Edmonton and Calgary the morning of the BBQ. There will be a pre-meet at determined locations, following a planned strictly speed-limit only cruise to Red Deer. From Red Deer we will depart to Sylvan Lake. We actually managed to mostly find parking in the main lot last year, there was lots of open space still by noon that day!

The Sylvan Lake BBQ Meetup (Final Location):
This is the destination where we will be cruising out to. Parking may NOT be "together."  There is street-parking and lot-parking along this entire area. Parking should not be an issue as long as people are patient.
Find parking and then come hangout for the BBQ! There is a large open green space in the area I've shown with many picnic benches, trash cans, and there are public washrooms a bit further down. The beach is also ofcourse right here. There was discussion in our other thread about not wanting to make this a "hard-parked" show n shine style event where we stand around in a mall parking lot under the beaming sun. Therefor; the effort I'm making is for this to be a fun "family-friendly" afternoon hanging out in the nice weather, enjoying some BBQ foods & drinks, and talking about Subi's or cars in general with friends who share the same interest! Expected arrival time from the cruises is early afternoon.

https://goo.gl/maps/HrtVXhe74TR2

Sylvan Parking & Direction

Open Space/ Field/ Picnic area

The Calgary Cruise to Red Deer:
****Do arrive with a full tank of gas. We will not be stopping for gas.****

We will be meeting at 9:00am in Calgary for the cruise up to Red Deer where we will then join up and cruise together with the Edmonton group. Departure time from the location will be 9:30am.

Location: 19 Street NE, off Airport Trail NE.  See direct link and image below.
https://goo.gl/maps/gHuKkPxTSdP2

Roll-Out from Calgary

Calgary Meet Location

Following the route detailed within the above map link, we will then meet up with Edmonton group in the outskirts of Red Deer near 75 Ave, and Queens Dr. by 11:00am.
If you live in Red Deer, or are coming from elsewhere - You can meet both groups up at the below location by 11:00am to join in.
Red Deer Meetup Location: https://goo.gl/maps/4YxnWgULwkP2
*** This is slightly different from last years planning but this is the SAME SPOT WE ENDED UP AT LAST YEAR ***

The Edmonton Cruise to Red Deer:
****Do arrive with a full tank of gas. We will not be stopping for gas.****

We will be meeting at 9:00am in Edmonton for the cruise up to Red Deer where we will then join up and cruise together with the Calgary group. Departure time from the location will be 9:30am.

Location: Gateway Park Road SW.  See direct link and image below.
https://goo.gl/maps/gqwrVeeQqzq

Roll-Out from Edmonton

Edmonton Meet Location

Following the route detailed within the above map link, we will then meet up with Calgary group in the outskirts of Red Deer near 75 Ave, and Queens Dr. by 11:00am.
If you live in Red Deer, or are coming from elsewhere - You can meet both groups up at the below location by 11:00am to join in.
Red Deer Meetup Location: https://goo.gl/maps/4YxnWgULwkP2
*** This is slightly different from last years planning but this is the SAME SPOT WE ENDED UP AT LAST YEAR ***

The Edmonton + Calgary Cruise from Red Deer to Sylvan Lake:
https://goo.gl/maps/cLqARoucpTE2

We will be promptly departing from Red Deer's meeting location to cruise a short 10 minute drive over to Sylvan Lake Via Westbound on 11A.
As mentioned above, parking will not be coordinated so please find parking wherever is available. We will then meetup at the green-space/ field/ beach/ picnic area for our BBQ!

Red Deer location to Sylvan Lake

The meeting point in Sylvan Lake
https://goo.gl/maps/HrtVXhe74TR2

Last years event was awesome! The weather was great and we all walked down for ice cream in the afternoon. Let's make this another great one! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!

Last Years Pictures: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=54457.msg668465#msg668465

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2003 Legacy GTB, 1997 Yamaha Virago 750
Re: WSC Sylvan Lake 2019 BBQ & Cruise - Saturday July 6, 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
I will most definitely be coming this year! I have gotten a few friends of mine into the car/Subaru scene over the past 6 or so months so it'll be cool to bring em around.

Not to mention, I still haven't met most of you guys.

Offline RedBimmer93

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: WSC Sylvan Lake 2019 BBQ & Cruise - Saturday July 6, 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
I may make it up this year, considering this does not fall on my dad's exact birthday this year...

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
Re: WSC Sylvan Lake 2019 BBQ & Cruise - Saturday July 13, 2019
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
Hey guys, I've made a date change to our BBQ because my friends wedding ended up being scheduled the same day (July 6) and I just received the invite / found out this weekend. I'm really hopeful that will be okay because I love this BBQ and really want to be there..

I checked with Cole also and it works out a bit better because that's a separate weekend from his dad's Birthday too.

New Date: July 13, 2019.

Offline Real

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '08 WRX STI
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »
Will be there - Dibs on bringing a veggie platter

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
Will be there - Dibs on bringing a veggie platter

I'm going to update first post with things people are bringing, so we don't have 10 tubs of macaroni salad.  Like seriously, nobody bring any macaroni salad this time ;D ;D ;D

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
Out again this year. Got a wedding that weekend.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »
Out again this year. Got a wedding that weekend.

Oh man!  :( :(  You gone the full entire weekend?

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Oh man!  :( :(  You gone the full entire weekend?
Yeah, I'm in Waskesui from the 12-15. All G though! I'd imagine there aren't any weekends in the summer that at least a couple people won't have plans already.

Offline Real

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '08 WRX STI
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm in Waskesui from the 12-15. All G though! I'd imagine there aren't any weekends in the summer that at least a couple people won't have plans already.

Book off every Saturday in July 2020 dude this can't keep happening lol

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
Book off every Saturday in July 2020 dude this can't keep happening lol
eh, probably for the best; I was going to bring a couple buckets of macaroni salad.

Offline Markkas

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 Version VI Subaru WRX RA
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »
I will likely be in Whistler running a race during this :( Another year, another event I miss...

If plans change however, I will do my best to be there!

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »
We are in need of some sort of portable grill / BBQ / propane setup if anyone has one!!  Please comment or msg me!!

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
I have a portable grill you guys can take. It's a cheap CT one and it's not in the best shape but it worked fine a couple months ago - I'll check to see if it still works if you want to take it. I've only used it with the small propane canisters but I have an adapter that should work with full sized tanks.

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
Just a note, from someone that lives in central Alberta.

You may want to change to route from Red Deer to Sylvan lake.
Highway 11a is a total mess right now. They are putting a pipeline in the ditch all the way from Sylvan to Red Deer, so the road is pretty chewed up, covered in mud, and lots of delays. Last time I took it, it was 45 minutes from Sylvan to Red Deer. I won't take my car down it again til they are done, and its not scheduled to be done until August !!

Highway 11 is a much nicer road, and 4-6 lanes all the way.

Just a thought
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
Just a note, from someone that lives in central Alberta.

You may want to change to route from Red Deer to Sylvan lake.
Highway 11a is a total mess right now. They are putting a pipeline in the ditch all the way from Sylvan to Red Deer, so the road is pretty chewed up, covered in mud, and lots of delays. Last time I took it, it was 45 minutes from Sylvan to Red Deer. I won't take my car down it again til they are done, and its not scheduled to be done until August !!

Highway 11 is a much nicer road, and 4-6 lanes all the way.

Just a thought

Thanks for this update dude!  Will keep eyes on that and plan accordingly then! Slight detour in the trip should be fine. We don't usually all make it through that left hand turn anyways, so no big deal if the group is split! Usually happens! ;D

Update: Made a private Facebook event, should be able to join and I think I invited everyone but may have missed a few. Feel free to invite any of your friends / people you know coming from here. https://www.facebook.com/events/406151899963822/

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »
Sorry I just realized / found out that the Facebook event remains private even if you have the link, someone needs to actually invite you to join the page!  I've invited the 44 people that I know / have on Facebook - but if I missed anybody or you want to join the page please feel free to PM me and I can help (friends of friends can invite also to the event page.)

The only purpose the FB holds is just easier communication since people don't always check here as often!

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 11:25:17 PM »
I'll keep you updated on the condition oh 11a. My wife and I drive through sylvan into red deer daily to take the kid to school. Once June hits, I'll let you know its shape and delays.
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline TenTurbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Sedan - Pearl White
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 08:33:55 PM »
Hi guys! My wife and I are relatively new to the suby family. Checked the calendar and were free that weekend!! 2 more cars to the convoy! I was completely bummed when I checked the site last year and realized we missed the BBQ by just a few days.

I’ve got a small BBQ and propane tank that I’ll bring along. Great for hot dogs. We’ll bring some of those with buns as well.
His - 2011 WRX sedan
Hers - 2010 WRX wagon

Offline diamondedge

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2004 FXT
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »
I got paper towels, hand sanitizer and general cleaning implements.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
I got paper towels, hand sanitizer and general cleaning implements.
Raiding the supply closet at city hall again I see.

Offline diamondedge

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2004 FXT
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:21 AM »
Raiding the supply closet at city hall again I see.

Your tax dollars hard at work.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
;D Awesome thx dude!

Hi guys! My wife and I are relatively new to the suby family. Checked the calendar and were free that weekend!! 2 more cars to the convoy! I was completely bummed when I checked the site last year and realized we missed the BBQ by just a few days.

I’ve got a small BBQ and propane tank that I’ll bring along. Great for hot dogs. We’ll bring some of those with buns as well.

Awesome man, thanks! We'll see you there! You'll be one of few coming from Edmonton actually! If you have Facebook you can add me and I'll invite you to the event page, in case there's any urgent messages we need to send anybody this would be the best way: https://www.facebook.com/spencerhogg

Offline TenTurbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Sedan - Pearl White
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:30 PM »
Thanks Spencer. Sent you a note on FB. See if you can add me in.
His - 2011 WRX sedan
Hers - 2010 WRX wagon

Online DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
  • Ride: 13 DGM STI, 03 Forester 2.5X, 01 Forester S, 92 Justy
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »
I'm a hard maybe. Will be working a block away from where you guys usually meet in red deer, if I work that day I'll try to just meet you's there 8)