Author Topic: Rivian R1S/R1T  (Read 818 times)

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Impretzel
Rivian R1S/R1T
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »
After my recent trip to Oz where every man and his dog had a light or medium truck complete with camping rig I started nosing around seeing what's available to me here in North America. Wife is a big fan of Alex Honnold, a free solo climber, who is Rivian's brand partner. I started to look into Rivian's Truck EV... with up to 400 miles range it has my interest.

The headlights are founder RJ Scaringe's baby. He thinks they're a brand icon but then he probably likes the Hyundai front end. Personally I don't appreciate them but they're growing on me slowly. IMO "stadium" is more an oval shape, not an elongated track circle.
A Rivian will be quickly recognized, with its iconic, signature “stadium” headlights and a daytime running light that extends the entire width of the vehicle.

https://products.rivian.com/

https://insideevs.com/rivian-r1t-video-round-up/
https://media.rivian.com/rivian-launches-worlds-first-electric-adventure-vehiclestm-with-debut-of-r1t-pickup/

Offline SlowLGT

• beards comin in nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
Re: Rivian R1S/R1T
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
Rivian caught my eyes when they made the announcement. The website says $61.5k after rebate, I guess that's for US customers and 250 miles range. I hope these two products actually come to real production.

Offline Rad_Racer

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
Independent wheel motors will help bring this truck some attention when they're able to demonstrate it off road. Honestly with EV trucks coming to market, I can't see a huge market for small cars anymore. If you can have a vehicle that's as capable and practical as that, while not having to spend a significant amount more on "fuel", why buy something else? Hope it's fun to drive!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
Definitely hoping these actually get made. Not a fan of the headlights, but maybe its different in person...
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »
Independent wheel motors will help bring this truck some attention when they're able to demonstrate it off road. Honestly with EV trucks coming to market, I can't see a huge market for small cars anymore. If you can have a vehicle that's as capable and practical as that, while not having to spend a significant amount more on "fuel", why buy something else? Hope it's fun to drive!

I'd say the cost of the car itself would be a big reason. I know a lot of people still buy small cars because they're cheap to buy.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 04 2.5TS wagon, 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
Aside from cost, as mentioned by LDS, the size would be my primary concern. Garage/parking stall sizes aren't always truck friendly.

Offline Rathburn

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Red Rockets
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
Honestly with EV trucks coming to market, I can't see a huge market for small cars anymore.

Why would I want to pay a hefty premium for a vehicle i'll never use anywhere close to it's full potential and won't fit in my garage? Plus, then I'll look like all the other truck driving oucheday bags around.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
Why would I want to pay a hefty premium for a vehicle i'll never use anywhere close to it's full potential and won't fit in my garage? Plus, then I'll look like all the other truck driving oucheday bags around.
It's okay mate, I'll just drive it around here in California.

Offline Rathburn

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
It's okay mate, I'll just drive it around here in California.

Just wait until the unwashed hippies start stealing your battery power while you're at work.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: Blue V8, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »
Definitely hoping these actually get made. Not a fan of the headlights, but maybe its different in person...

They remind me of some anime character/series/movie.  I can't think of who or what. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 05:20:29 PM »
They remind me of some anime character/series/movie.  I can't think of who or what.

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:32:46 PM »
Do you even know what anime is? 

Offline Rathburn

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »

Don't assume his animation style.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
Don't assume his animation style.

This is probably my favourite thing you've ever said.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
I'm old enough to remember black and white cartoons you little itshay. Astroboy was my first anime back in the 80's... before you were a glint in your father's eye. I just couldn't find a decent Astroboy image with similar stadium headlights. I'm too old to Google.

Offline coop3422

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 350ZR, 2008 Infiniti EX35
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »
Aside from cost, as mentioned by LDS, the size would be my primary concern. Garage/parking stall sizes aren't always truck friendly.
Very true. My in-laws were just in town to do some work on their condo before selling it and he couldn't even get his stock HD Ram into the underground parking, too tall. Personally I'd rather a car that's fun to drive around town, and rent a truck the very few times I need one.

As for the Rivian though, I saw them a few months ago when they were announced and look quite promising. I hope they are successful, looks like a great option for the market. And with how much some of these loaded pickups go for, the premium to a Rivian might be realistic.

One thing I've always wondered, how much does it cost energy wise to "fill" an electric vehicle? I'm sure it works out cheaper than buying gas, abut the electricity still has a cost.

Offline SlowLGT

• beards comin in nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
BUT why do they have to put a BMW motor in it?

Oh wait, wrong thread, sorry.

Offline Rad_Racer

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
One thing I've always wondered, how much does it cost energy wise to "fill" an electric vehicle? I'm sure it works out cheaper than buying gas, abut the electricity still has a cost.

Use the P100D as an example. 100kWh battery. I think my present electricity rate is $0.0559/kWh, so $5.59 to "fill" a P100D from being completely discharged (and I think it actually has a system preventing it from getting below like 20% charge or something).

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 11:59:01 AM »
Size of the truck is definitely an issue for me. That's why I initially started looking for the non-existent small/medium range in North America. A diesel Hilux? Oh hell no, have a ginormous Ranger.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 01:11:27 PM »

Yeah. My dad has a Nissan Leaf. Based on his tracking, he's thinking its about 1/3 the cost on a $/km basis. He lives out in victoria, so he's paying like 2.5x what we pay for electricity.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
Well, I take it back.  You were dead on with the Disney. 

Offline Asstuna

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
Amazon and GM are allegedly looking to buy in.

They're not publicly listed yet or I would be too.

Offline coop3422

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 350ZR, 2008 Infiniti EX35
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
Use the P100D as an example. 100kWh battery. I think my present electricity rate is $0.0559/kWh, so $5.59 to "fill" a P100D from being completely discharged (and I think it actually has a system preventing it from getting below like 20% charge or something).
Good info, appreciate the insight!

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 04 2.5TS wagon, 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 12:26:52 PM »