Author Topic: Brian's 2009 SWP STI Hatchback  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
Brian's 2009 SWP STI Hatchback
« on: February 21, 2019, 10:58:47 pm »
Hello again, been almost 2 years since I sold my 04 WRX.  I regretted it almost everyday lol.  So, decided to get another one.  This time it's a 2009 STI hatchback.  Purchased Feb.2,2019.  I wasn't a fan of this generation at first but they grew on me.  Also, wasn't a fan of the hatch but the more I look at it the more I like it. 

So, I quietly looked around for about a month thinking I wouldn't find anything until spring but then this beauty pops up with a built engine with only 10k kms on it.  The previous owner spun a rod bearing, he rebuilt the motor for more power but then lost interest.  It's closed decked, blue printed, forged internals, killer bee oil pick up, intake, exhaust, stock turbo, stock fuel system, stock suspension.

It's been a minute so I'll have to research on all the new parts and R&D that's happened since I was involved last.  Any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

Plans:
350/400hp daily

Engine:
Block completely machined, including close decked and blue printed
Manley 99.75mm pistons
Manley rods with ARP bolts
King main and rod bearings
New 2011+ crankshaft
Killer B Ultimate oil pickup
New OEM oil cooler and 11mm oil pump
Greddy magnetic oil drain plug
Cobb light weight crank pulley
AVCS cam gears
Full cylinder head service
ARP 11mm Head studs
Gates timing belt kit
Air pump delete plates
vf48 Turbo rebuilt with new compressor wheel, new turbine housing and CNC ported
Cobb sf intake + airbox
Tomei turbo inlet
Invidia Catless Downpipe
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
Airboy tuned 19psi

Tranny, Suspension, Brakes:
ACT HDSS Clutch
Stoptech Sport Slotted Rotors
Akebono Pads

Wheels:
2016 STI Grey Wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires
17" Phat Kat Racing Engineer Wheels
Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2

Interior:
SMY Dual Gauge pod
52mm Defi oil pressure and boost gauge
60mm Defi Oil temp gauge
Cobb Accessport V2
Cobb black shift knob
JVC headunit navigation

Exterior:
R205 fender badges
Rally Armor mudflaps Black and Red
Window Tint
Red vinyl tail lights
Hella supertones (white)
black/white subaru emblems f/r

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2009 SWP STI Hatchback
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:56 pm »
Random work pics, I can expand more on this if anyone is interested.

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: sti swapped/fxt
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 04:27:51 pm »
She's a beauty! White is one of the best colours for gr hatches Imo.

Offline I--RIDE--BIKES

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SGM 06 sti... Turbo of the rotated variety in progress
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 05:58:15 pm »
Nice buy!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:13:39 pm »
I would like to know some details of the V12, please.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 10:36:25 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.  I was originally looking for the wrb then I seen the white lookin fine as hell.  Its the only other color that could change my mind. 

Small update. I'm trying to get the car fully healthy before throwing some more power behind it.  Done, fresh rotella T6 and p/s flush. Cabin air filter replaced, Cobb  intake cleaned.  There was a little bit of sweat at the rear of the oil pan, removed and resealed the pan.  Most likely motul or redline going in the tranny and diff, undecided.
I should HAVE done this before purchasing but compression test, leak down, test vacuum/boost lines, exhaust leaks.  These will keep me busy for awhile.

Recalls on airbag being done at Subaru city.  And car detailing not sure where to go yet. 

That V12 is a caterpillar engine block.  We almost exclusively work on caterpillar.  It's a c27 or c32, meaning 27 or 32 liters displacement.  Around 6" bore 6" stroke.  2000hp I think.  2500rpm redline.  It's used mostly in D10 or D11 bulldozers.  It's the smallest engine we work on, 3400 series. 

3500 series we get in 8,12 and 16 cylinder.  They used to bolt 2 12 cylinder blocks together and use that to power the C797 dump trucks.  Now they use C175 16 and 20 cylinder blocks like the 1st pic. 

This C797 for reference.

D11

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 11:08:57 pm »
I found Redline was difficult to shift in the cold.  Motul has been much more compliant. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 02:25:27 pm »
I put redline 75w90 in there this time.  I'll put motul in next, and then immediately regret not doing it the first time.

So, I've done some little things.  Compression test done 120's all around, maybe low? but happy about consistency.  Leak down 6-8% in all cylinders so yay!  Cheap compression tester $30 at princess auto and leak down tester I bought the $100 one on amazon.  Works, I'm happy about it.  Went to ABC muffler and did an exhaust check and everything looks good.  Those guy at ABC are great and they do the check at no cost.  Last check is boost/vacuum, I've yet to go to Gregg's and get the cap and piping but that's next.

I went and saw Sunny.  Peace of mind this guy brings is priceless.  Can't say I've ever had a bad experience with him.  So, did the baseline I guess, 
alls I've got is the cobb sf intake and invidia catless down to a magnaflow catback, stock turbo, stock fuel system, stock intercooler.  Looks like 300 / 260 technically I could put dyno chart on a shadow graph but I think that's close enough.

Other little things I've done, not very exciting.  Cleaned the maf, used sensorkleen canadian tire $9.  Replaced the power steering pump o-ring that sits up top.  34439fg000 $4 from subaru. Bought hella horns with grimmspeed bracket from kijiji for $40 and the wiring from the market here, it needed to be cut up but I figured it out.  Also painted them white.  More rice, bought emblem stickers black on white from emblemoverlays.  $45 with shipping, expensive not sure I'd do that again.  Might change the red vinyl on the tails, not in a rush.  Car's been so dirty I didn't noticed I have carbon exhaust bumper covers.  Zip tied all the boost hoses that need them.  Removed the spare tire, it weighs a ton, I'll put it back in if I ever leave the city.  Did the same thing with my old wrx.  I think that's it for now. 

I bought a tomei turbo inlet, might need to go bigger, might not even install it.  I want to do the tgv delete.  All these will mean another trip to airboy so kinda dragging my feet and collecting whatever I can.  Headers, turbo, fmic and fuel gonna eat me alive.  Not sure if the price is worth the end goal??  I don't know, we'll see.  Car's plenty of fun to drive as is.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:45:38 pm »
A proper "stage 2" STI, with a downpipe and tune, is pretty damn fun. Just do that.

Also, that wheel fitment is excellent.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.