Author Topic: Tremor's '13 STI Hatch  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
Tremor's '13 STI Hatch
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:08:40 am »
So as a few of you already know from my post in another section, after almost 900 days I am finally back in a Subaru. This time a bit newer.

I picked up a '13 STI Hatch in DGM.

Details:
- 60,000KM
- Full 3M front end + rear door
- OEM Roof Rack
- Brand new Michelin all seasons
- Cobb AP V3(Stage 2)
- Cobb catted downpipe
- Cobb SF intake + airbox
- Perrin turbo inlet

Plans:
- Aftermarket catback.
- EL Headers(I have a set, not sure I want to use them)
- Red Tail light overlays
- Just drive the damn thing.

If anyone has any suggestions on a catback that is resonated with a quad exit that isn't super loud and doesn't drone I'm all ears!

Here are a couple pictures.
IMG_0914 by Carter Clackson, on Flickr
IMG_0915 by Carter Clackson, on Flickr

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
Re: Tremor's '13 STI Hatch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:09 am »
Awesome dude!

DaDuke99

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:41:19 am »
Too bad about the green lettering on the plate
  :-\  ;D
I run a q300 catback and the drone is minimal (some people complain about it but honestly it's never bothered me). Usually people who want to be loud swap it out eventually.
I'll plug my morimotos I have for sale if you want to upgrade your fogs, I cracked 2 sets of the OEM's from winter driving but eventually cut my bumper in half and don't need em  ;D
The red taillights will help a lot, I can't stand the stock clear ones. A red pinstripe on the grill has gotta be the most worthwhile mod you can make on these things too lol
I don't think you have a sunroof, do you have the hids? The difference is amazing, if that interests you

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:28 am »
Looks great! I liked my invidia q300. Quiet for a catback on the highway. Loud in higher rpms.

The R400 really tempted me, but I was never able to hear one

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:13 am »
Q300 does drone for my tastes but I'm jaded. Not sure how it is on the GR, but the MadDad on my WRX does not drone. It's also pretty quiet compared to the rest of them.

http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/wsp08cb.htm

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 10:10:09 am »
Too bad about the green lettering on the plate
  :-\  ;D
I run a q300 catback and the drone is minimal (some people complain about it but honestly it's never bothered me). Usually people who want to be loud swap it out eventually.
I'll plug my morimotos I have for sale if you want to upgrade your fogs, I cracked 2 sets of the OEM's from winter driving but eventually cut my bumper in half and don't need em  ;D
The red taillights will help a lot, I can't stand the stock clear ones. A red pinstripe on the grill has gotta be the most worthwhile mod you can make on these things too lol
I don't think you have a sunroof, do you have the hids? The difference is amazing, if that interests you

Haha well I'd like to say it won't be green for long, but MB plates also have green + blue on them, so I'm SOL there.
I actually do have a sunroof, and HID's! so I'm good on that front.

Thanks to all of you for the recommendations on exhausts, I'll have to start saving my pennies to afford one!

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 11:54:13 am »
Nice pickup!
I run a Blitz Nur Spec R and it drones a little but not much. Not super loud either. Fills the exhaust cutouts on the bumper nicely.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:17:54 pm »
I think whatever you get, it'll drone to some degree due to the hatch.  There's always the option to sound dampen. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

DaDuke99

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 04:58:37 pm »
You'll want to address the trim rattles first anyways...

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 05:25:06 pm »
I second the Blitz Nur Spec R. I love the way mine looks and its no louder than stock while easy driving or cruising, but when you get on it it sounds great.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 10:52:29 am »
You'll want to address the trim rattles first anyways...

I currently have only one, and it only happens while the dash plastic is cold so fingers crossed I don't get too many.

I second the Blitz Nur Spec R. I love the way mine looks and its no louder than stock while easy driving or cruising, but when you get on it it sounds great.

I am going to look into this and maybe the Cobb one as well as someone is selling a used one on Facebook Marketplace here!

I think whatever you get, it'll drone to some degree due to the hatch.  There's always the option to sound dampen.

I kind of figured a bit would be normal, my Forester always had some so I'll be okay with some, I just don't want a loud car on the highway really!

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
Looking like a great purchase. I love how you've got the time without a Subaru all tracked hahaha! I could afford to cut down on at least one maybe, but somehow I feel I'd be just the same counting the days and missing them far too much if I got right out of them.

I really like the Q300 with the Invidia catless DP on my 04 Wagon (with the JDM Swap), it doesn't drone too much on that set-up. Also, I haven't got around to doing headers yet, which will change things a bit.

I have heard the Q300 on a couple GR hatches that where noticeably louder than mine, maybe they had headers. The catted DP you're running will combat a bit of excess noise in comparison.

For a daily I'm really glad I picked up that Maddad whisper back for my Forester. It's very subtle with no drone when cruising, but also satisfy's just right when pulling harder. It growls pretty good. This has been the best exhaust I've experienced on all of my Subaru's and different changes to each, especially for the highway.

Overall wagon's and hatches are typically more prone to producing unwanted drone with several exhausts, I'm sure you already know that though.

| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 03:26:06 pm »
If you are not looking for drone, why not keep it stock? My fozzy has 3 inch catless DP to stock still cat back and it is quiet and sounds nice to me.

Or keep the stock midpipe/ resonator with a larger quad tip axle back?

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 06:40:09 am »
Looking like a great purchase. I love how you've got the time without a Subaru all tracked hahaha! I could afford to cut down on at least one maybe, but somehow I feel I'd be just the same counting the days and missing them far too much if I got right out of them.

I really like the Q300 with the Invidia catless DP on my 04 Wagon (with the JDM Swap), it doesn't drone too much on that set-up. Also, I haven't got around to doing headers yet, which will change things a bit.

I have heard the Q300 on a couple GR hatches that where noticeably louder than mine, maybe they had headers. The catted DP you're running will combat a bit of excess noise in comparison.

For a daily I'm really glad I picked up that Maddad whisper back for my Forester. It's very subtle with no drone when cruising, but also satisfy's just right when pulling harder. It growls pretty good. This has been the best exhaust I've experienced on all of my Subaru's and different changes to each, especially for the highway.

Overall wagon's and hatches are typically more prone to producing unwanted drone with several exhausts, I'm sure you already know that though.
Yeah I'm going to have to go off of how the Forester felt, and I hated the drone in that thing. I'm still doing research but I'm leaning towards Maddad or something similar!

If you are not looking for drone, why not keep it stock? My fozzy has 3 inch catless DP to stock still cat back and it is quiet and sounds nice to me.

Or keep the stock midpipe/ resonator with a larger quad tip axle back?

I'm considering the second route actually. Every manual car I have owned has had an aftermarket exhaust so that I could shift by feel/sound rather than having to look at the tach. The stock STI exhaust isn't quite loud enough with the windows closed unfortunately(also, it just doesn't look quite big enough!).

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 12:44:38 pm »
Aftermarket intake, downpipe, OEM catback. Makes enough noise with your foot in it to be fun, while being quiet and peaceful while cruising. My '08 STI and now my '03 WRX ended up the same way, I just can't handle the Subaru throb all the time.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 10:10:49 pm »
The FXT I got from Canuckrz has a catless downpipe and STi catback. It's a nice compromise between a quiet aftermarket catback. I don't really hear it cruising.. The idle is just a few notches louder than stock I find as well.

Here's a clip for science.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 09:08:32 am »
The FXT I got from Canuckrz has a catless downpipe and STi catback. It's a nice compromise between a quiet aftermarket catback. I don't really hear it cruising.. The idle is just a few notches louder than stock I find as well.

Here's a clip for science.

See that sounds throaty and mean, mine makes very little noise. I'm going to wait until I can actually drive around with the windows down to see what it sounds like, if not,  I might see if I can convince my brother in law to build me a custom axleback with mufflers like the nameless one. and see how it sounds.

Aftermarket intake, downpipe, OEM catback. Makes enough noise with your foot in it to be fun, while being quiet and peaceful while cruising. My '08 STI and now my '03 WRX ended up the same way, I just can't handle the Subaru throb all the time.
I'm probably going to leave it for now and see how it feels.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 03:00:07 pm »
Nice whip.  Did you install those headers?  Which brand did u get.

Also that fxt sounding hawt

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 11:08:29 am »
Nice whip.  Did you install those headers?  Which brand did u get.

Also that fxt sounding hawt

They came with the car, they're Tomei as well as the uppipe!