Author Topic: Rust repair worth it?  (Read 995 times)

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GC8 WRX STi
Rust repair worth it?
« on: March 09, 2019, 07:51:14 pm »
Looking at potentially buying an 07 hawkeye STi but it's quite rusty. Has rust on the quarter panel, roof, under the side skirts, and probably other places. Any ideas on what this might cost? Not sure if it is even worth pursuing. What would a rebuilt 2007 STi with ~100k even be worth?

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
Re: Rust repair worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:56:29 pm »
I'd pass. If it has that much rust, who knows what else is wrong with it.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:59:40 pm »
I'd agree, only thing keeping me interested is it's the original owners and I've been watching it sit outside for years.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 08:00:00 pm »
I'd say $10 000- $12 000ish for value.

Rust repair is insanely expensive because it's a ton of work, huge liability, and paid out of pocket. When I looked at doing my bugeye it was about $3000-$4000 for just the rear quarters that were just starting to show rust. One shop even said they wouldn't even touch the car

If you can get it for a decent deal I would snag it depending on how bad the rebuilt claim was

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:07:46 pm »
It was a total loss within the first 6 months of ownership lol.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 08:59:35 pm »
That's like $25k plus in damages on a new vehicle, and now it's rusting out with 100 000km? Sounds like a itshay repair job, or poorly taken care of.

Here's a tip for ya, most shop will guarantee their work for the life of the car providing the owner doesn't change. Get buddy to take it to the shop that fixed it (if it still exists) and try to get them to fix the rust in any sections that were previously repaired.

I'm at max 10k now, if it can pass a compression and leak down

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 03:17:00 am »
I'd buy it as a $4000 beater. At that price point, at least you can part it out and not lose your shirt.

But if the body is bad, you know the rest of it is bad. You'll be fighting with every single bit of maintenance you do.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline drewfuspx

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • "Is it supposed to sound like that?"
  • Ride: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Ltd w/ M
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 08:45:08 am »
I'd buy it as a $4000 beater. At that price point, at least you can part it out and not lose your shirt.

But if the body is bad, you know the rest of it is bad. You'll be fighting with every single bit of maintenance you do.

I agree - in some regards a lot of rust can be avoided by just giving your car a good wash on a consistent basis which is about the easiest maintenance someone can do. If someones not washing their car consistently I'd wonder about their attention to other maintenance items. With the Subaru being a car you don't want to skirt around maintenance on I'd give it a pass.
I broke it.  Just like how I'm going to break you

a piece of bread for dinner.  Want to come over? 

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 11:23:31 am »
If it was only the typical rust that can surface in the rear fenders I'd say go for it, yet it would still likely be $4k+ to fix. However with all of the area's you mentioned I would say it's definitely not worth the excessive repair costs. The fact that it's visible along the side skirts is some real insight to how far gone it could be, or will be in a short time. It would be safe to assume that the bottom rear of the front fenders, the bottom front of the rear fenders and possibly other spots behind the side skirts could be rotting pretty bad. I've experienced this on my high mileage 02 WRX wagon. No noticeable rust except when pulling the side skirt, and not a pleasant surprise. The car was a Calgary car since new, until I bought it.

With the mention of it sitting for years, I can say that definitely doesn't help out with corrosion. If anything it makes it worse with humidity, precipitation and sitting stagnant not getting any air flowing through things (when driving). 
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 12:55:01 pm »
I specifically sold mine once it started developing rust. It's the one thing I never want to deal with.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 05:24:58 pm »
I specifically sold mine once it started developing rust. It's the one thing I never want to deal with.

And here I am doing my best to fight it :(
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
Full send and get an eBay wide body kit to cover it up. Out of sight, out of mind.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 04:38:23 pm »
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline SirBoostalot

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 05:33:56 pm »

Same here. I was sad to get rid of it, but every time I see a rusty hawkeye on the road I'm glad I didn't try to win that fight.

OP, sound like the one you're looking at is pretty far gone. If it costs a few grand to repair rusty rear quarters, I can't imagine how much money you would have to sink into this thing.

Offline TenTurbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 USDM STI Hatch
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 12:52:31 pm »
Really is a shame the paint/metal treatment on these cars isn’t the best. My wife’s 2010 WRX has a fair bit of rust on the bottom of the car around the engine bay. I can see nuts that I hope to never have to remove. Car spent the first 3 years of its life in Quebec so I’m not surprised. Car has 195,000k on it now. Body still ok. In my 2011 with only 90,000 km I have something rusting above my licence plate lights on truck lid. Rust streaks starting to run down :( Hope the Krown treatments will help going forward.
His - 2011 STI Hatch
Hers - 2010 WRX Hatch