Author Topic: 02-03 impreza WRX fuel line (recall expired) any advice?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline WhiteWrxWagon

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 2002 white wrx wagon
02-03 impreza WRX fuel line (recall expired) any advice?
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Hello everyone,

I recently purchase (last month) a 2003 white wrx wagon (automatic) in Edmonton.  During a cold start in the winter I can smell gasoline coming from the engine bay.  I did some research on the net and it appears that there was a recall from the dealership for this fuel line issue.

However when I contacted the dealership: Subaru City, Rally Subaru as well as Scott Subaru (at red deer). They all said the recall has been finish and it was during the year 2010.

The below link showed steps by steps instruction on how to tackle this issue, (and my vin is part of the recall group per page 2 of the attachment)  however I am not a car guru as such I don't really want to attempt this fix by myself. 

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM12948229/RCSB-09V468-1307.pdf

Anyone here on the board has tackle this issue and is generous enough to help me with the fix??.........or any recommend shops in Edmonton I can call for a quote?

your help is much appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

Offline Gargoyle

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: soul crushingly stock 2010 WRX
Re: 02-03 impreza WRX fuel line (recall expired) any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:32:50 pm »
that's weird, they fixed it on my 02 wrx about a year and a half ago, beginning of last winter i think it was, i guess you've called around to a few places so it's too bad they stopped, wish i could help more, i just think that's weird

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »
My car had pretty severe fuel line leak this winter. I had Vex fix this for me when I installed a turbo using new rubber hoses and better clamps, however I was going to follow this fix if you can get a long screw driver in and tighten these screws it should stop the fuel seepage if its coming from these 2 areas. you'll have to take off the turbo inlet tube to access the screws

2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »
Expired in 2010? That sounds a little odd, considering I only RECEIVED my recall notice in 2010. I didn't bother having it done until I moved here and actually got the cold start fuel smell. Centaur Subaru here in Calgary had zero issues doing the work this past January, just looked up my VIN. 4 years after the recall "expired".... heh.
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 07:13:24 am »
Yeah somethings not right there.  My 02 is from Calgary and it only had the recall done in 2011 or 2012.  I'm not sure how they can expire a recall that deals directly with the safety and well being of the owner/passengers. 
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline WhiteWrxWagon

• Baby Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:28 am »
Thanks for all the responds.... maybe I should give Calgary dealership a call? (which dealer ship did you guys go to?)

Maybe it is the way I word it?  I phone in telling them I just picked up a used Subaru and I ask them to do a quick check if there are any outstanding recalls and I provided them the VIN.   They checked for me and there are 2 outstanding recalls, one is a deal with rust/axle safety thing and the other one I forgot; but both are not fuel line related. 

Maybe if I start the conversation saying that I receive a letter regarding this re-call maybe it'll help? Also I should mention, the car is originated from Ontario. (not sure if that matters)

Offline astroboy

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 04 WRX
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:38:36 am »
I had the same issue, bad fuel smell when cold. However the recall didn't include my04. The fuel clamps are tricky to get to but in my case I took a long philips screwdriver and tightened all the fuel line clamps. If you peak between the runners of the intake manifold you should be able to find some of them. (not all) maybe you'll get lucky and have access to the lines which are sweating.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:55 pm »
Thanks for all the responds.... maybe I should give Calgary dealership a call? (which dealer ship did you guys go to?)

Maybe it is the way I word it?  I phone in telling them I just picked up a used Subaru and I ask them to do a quick check if there are any outstanding recalls and I provided them the VIN.   They checked for me and there are 2 outstanding recalls, one is a deal with rust/axle safety thing and the other one I forgot; but both are not fuel line related. 

Maybe if I start the conversation saying that I receive a letter regarding this re-call maybe it'll help? Also I should mention, the car is originated from Ontario. (not sure if that matters)

I went to Centaur Subaru. Found their service guys really easy-going and friendly. I've never been to Calgary Subaru yet.

I'm from Ontario and so is my car - so shouldn't make any difference. It's all Subaru of Canada after all.

This recall number might help:
12/09
2002-2003 WRX
cold weather fuel line seep
In cold weather, certain 02/03 WRXs may have fuel line seep when starting in cold weather. Only app 5724 cars are affected by this in 16 cold weather states - Ak, Co, Io, Id, Me, Mi, Mn, Mt, Ne, ND, SD NH, NY, Vt, Wi, Wy.  The repair involves replacing a segment of the fuel line. There will be a 12 year unlimited warranty extension for this particular issue for the remaining 34 states for affected vehicles. Program #WVK-21

The other recall is actually for rusting control arms. They can poke a hole through one that's rusted out  so it's easy to tell whether they need replacing. Mine were solid!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:01:51 pm »
I got my fuel line recall done back in November with my 02 WRX from Ontario with no problem (well, not problem booking it, issues with the quality of work at Centaur though). There is actually a transport Canada Recall on this issue which means that Subaru HAS to fix the issue regardless of the age of the vehicle.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/results-resultats.aspx?lang=eng&mk=2510&md=IMPREZA+WRX&fy=2002&ty=2004&ft=&ls=0&sy=0

I had one dealership try and give me the run around about how they couldn't do the recall because of its age and I told them about the Transport Canada recall that means they need to do it by law, and they pretty much said "we'll look into it" and never called me back.

But as I said, because Transport Canada has the recall listed as a Road Safety Recall, they MUST do it. I'd go back to the dealer and show them the Transport Canada report and see what they say. Or if they say that the recall has been done, ask them for reference.

Offline WhiteWrxWagon

• Baby Faced
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:24:55 pm »
thanks Jukka!!

I know the  dealership will fix it for sure but I just have to pay.  Just want to clarify did you get yours fix for free because of the recall?

many thanks for all the help from everyone on board

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »
thanks Jukka!!

I know the  dealership will fix it for sure but I just have to pay.  Just want to clarify did you get yours fix for free because of the recall?

many thanks for all the help from everyone on board

Why would you have to pay for a recall to do done? It's mistake at the factory not wear and tear.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
  • It burns how much gas???
  • Ride: 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sports 5MT
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:20 am »
Bumping this up, my '08 forester is now experiencing this but it seems that the recall only covers earlier imprezas according to centaur subaru, any thoughts?
Trying to keep fast station wagons from going extinct

My 2008 Forester XT Sports build

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 10:25:00 pm »
Bumping this up, my '08 forester is now experiencing this but it seems that the recall only covers earlier imprezas according to centaur subaru, any thoughts?

For our Foresters it will likely either be the rubber lines associated with the hard fuel lines under the intake manifold, or the rubber lines that attached to the engine. Firstly I would check for hardening of the hoses, cracking at the end face of the hoses and check that all of the hose clamps are tight.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |