Author Topic: Pulling Rocker Panel Dent  (Read 198 times)

Offline SnowBreeze

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: Altezza
Pulling Rocker Panel Dent
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:48:20 AM »
My car has this nasty dent. I want to try fixing it myself. Want to pull it as much as I can then bondo the rest. Looking for advice on what to pull it with or links to diy write ups or recommendations for auto bodywork forums. I'd also consider paying someone to do the pulling part if anyone knows a guy that would do it for around 200$. I'd finish the rest.

My idea
-Weld slide hammer tip to dent and pull, repeat at various points. Pull it as much as I can, then bondo the rest.

20190321_153809

20190321_153835

20190321_153842

Offline imprezapassion

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Pulling Rocker Panel Dent
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
Not too long ago I tried tackling a bad dent in my rocker and can tell you the slide hammer did nothing but rip off the spot welds or create little high points. I am new to the tool so your method may lead to better results. There was access holes once the sill trim is removed that you can get some paintless dent repair tools in but that metal was stubborn and again it was my first real attempt at anything like this. I did seem to have more luck with getting inside and pushing it out to make it better. Looking back, heat would have helped.

Sorry, not too much help

Offline RockThePylon

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »
Rockers are sturdy and a itchbay to pull out.

With how badly that's creased, cut and weld is probably (in my not a body tech opinion) your only option for a fix.

With a side hammer you'll need to do it up like a porcupine... If the welds hold enough to actually pull it out.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline SnowBreeze

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: Altezza
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:37:19 AM »
Darn that sucks. I definitely don't have the expertise to cut and weld a panel on. I'm gonna look in to those access holes. For now I'm gonna cover it up with side skirts.

Offline imprezapassion

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
That sounds like a good plan. Hit it with some rust check (or similar), clean it up and seal it with a touch up pen or you'll have a much uglier mess brewing under those skirts.