Author Topic: Slow n Low + A Poll  (Read 2959 times)

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
Re: Lucy, wut do ya figur?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 07:09:09 pm »
Not that I've talked about power goals yet, but I do want to run the 1/4 mile and based on the reading I'm doing I'll be setting a 450-500hp naturally aspirated -> I'll need some nice fat tires in the back to hook up!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 04:19:29 pm »
Throw the box out, cut the frame, reverse mount engine in the back, V-Drive, Wheelies. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 08:44:41 pm »
Well, first things first, time to clean er' up.

My son loves helping me out so he got a spray bottle and got right to work. Missed a bit of daylight so I set her back down on the ground,

And pushed her out of the garage. Not hard.. but not easy with two flat rears either.

Still nice for some fresh air. Neighbour came over, we talked red neck for a bit and then pulled out the chains.

Would you look at that?

Sitting pretty waiting for an LS.

Dropped by the local shop and talked with them about parts, they're putting together a quote for me right now. I'm neither rich nor famous, my mom thinks I'm cool, but I still don't have a massive bank account. With that said.. I'd rather have it spend another year in the garage and do it right rather than do it twice.

Narrowed a few parts down and will start with the suspension. I'll need a Mig welder so looking for a Mig 250, 251 or 252 in the mean time. After that I'll be starting up on the TCI Mustang II front suspension and TCI 4 link rear.

Decided on a 4th gen 5.3L LS, 4L80 mated to a Ford 8.8" rear end. Getting a Holley Terminator standalone and a full new body wiring harness from America Auto Wiring. The future will hold a supercharger, unsure of which yet, but the overall goal is to lay down 600-750whp.

Honestly scared to even see the quote - even more scared to show the wife, but thankful she's supporting me on this and understanding that it's going to be a long project. I'd love to have it on the road by next summer but realistically I'm looking closer to 2-3 years.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 10:40:57 pm »
Guess an update would be kind of cool. Haven't really invested too much into this yet, maybe $1100... but with that I got,

A sander. Yay! Mostly using 100-120 grit sand paper, so it went from this..

To this..

And then this,

But that brings it all back to the original poll. This is my thinking,

Black is boring. It's sexy as hell, but it honestly is boring. It hides beautiful lines and gets dirty quickly. Shiny blue or red cars - either of those would be sweet and eye catching, but anybody can take a truck (With a lot of money) and restore it back to perfect and paint it a shiny blue or red.

The truck in its current state is a one of a kind. The bullet hole in the side, the dent here and there - they each have a story. Kind of like the laugh lines around a persons eyes. You get rid of those, you get rid of the story. The more I'm into it the more I'm digging the original style - I'm going to put my own personal twists on it but I'm currently very happy with it.

Anyways, enough of my "I don't actually want to spend the money on resto and am using that as an excuse to keep it patina" story, I picked up a van.

Part of a van.

5.7L of reliable goodness.

Just kidding, I only bought it for the transmission. It has a 4L80E in it which is used in a lot of the Chevy/GMC trucks like the 2500 and 3500HD. It's a beast of a tranny. Should easily handle the power goals and some time on the drag strip before it's rebuilt into something bigger and better.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 10:48:55 pm »
So with the vehicle at home I've only started taking it apart. Plan is to sell the 5.7L engine with ecu, harness etc, the rear diff, brakes, wheels. Everything I can. Hell, if anyone wants a frame to play with I can deliver it in Edmonton for some chocolate milk.

Here is what I really wanted,

Mind blowing the comparison to the stock one. That's almost 50 years difference in technology.

Aaand I'm still sanding..

Next up? A little art project. I love the Chevrolet stamped into the tailgate but wanted a bit more pop.

At this next photo you'll probably scream "TERRIBLE IDEA, TERRIBLE IDEA!!"

It turned out okay. But really, it wasn't great.

I was really going for a "It's aged and I didn't do anything to it aside from neglect it for 70 years look" but that didn't work out. My wife walked in and said "It's cool, but it looks like you did it"

!#$Q$#%

Back to square one.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 10:58:25 pm »
So doing some reading and not sure how I wanted to pursue my overall look for this truck now that I hated the white on the tailgate.

It has white bumpers, headlight bezels etc so I thought a white stamped CHEVROLET and white roof, both distressed, would be sweet but it's not as easy as I thought it'd be. So that gave me another idea...

Anyways. Still sanding.

Pulled the box off to make it easier and as an added bonus now I can get to the frame for when we notch it and drop it. Laying frame will provide this truck with a good.. 15" drop?

Probably just clear the box the way it is, mind you, I'll have to tub it with wheel wells to fit the wheels/tires I've got spec'd out for it.

Sanding is coming along really well though.

So with a few common household chemicals, you take it from this...

To this,

And with a little pat pat

So being unhappy with the tailgate I did that too. After sanding it back down and playing around with the amount of metal left over,

Far happier now. Tosses a bit of a wrench into my whole patina colour scheme plans, but that's okay. I'm really happy with how this turned out.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2019, 11:13:35 pm »
Lastly, for the night, I picked this up which I was and am very excited about. Not only was it a steal, it was only a short drive from home.

A ford 8.8" rear end. Found in a number of Ford vehicles, this one came from an Explorer between 1996 and 2005 I think it is. Disc brakes, limited slip, 4.56 gearing and an upgraded cover. The gearing is steep but it'll just be a burnout queen.

Thing about this diff is it's actually off center. The drivers side is about 3" longer than the passengers, so you can shorten the drivers side and replace it with two passenger axles to fit. This will make for a slightly more narrow diff than my current factory one which is perfect as I'll be stuffing some pretty decent rubber under there.

Which brings me to the wheels. I'll be going 20x11 in the rears and 20x8 up front. 315 series in the rear and a 205-225 series up front.

Pretty sure I've also decided on an engine, I'm searching for an LQ4 which is a 6.0L iron block. It'll give me a little more low end torque than the 5.3L and once I have it boosted with a supercharger... well, it'll be pretty quick.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:41 pm »
Which brings me to the wheels. I'll be going 20x11 in the rears and 20x8 up front. 315 series in the rear and a 205-225 series up front.
Wait... 20's? And potentially stretched?

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Lucy, wut do ya figur? New poll, more pictures
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:53 pm »
Can't please them all! This is the style that I'll be aiming for,

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 09:19:48 am »
Yeah, have to say, all these exciting updates and then 20" at the end.  It's like watching Game of Thrones. 

But no matter.  I mean, overall, GoT was still amazing and I'm sure this build will be too!

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 10:11:18 am »
If you don't do white walls on it I'll unsubscribe

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 11:55:53 pm »
SLAMMED AND BIG WHEELS YEP

I approve of all of this.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 02:21:27 am »
Nice project you got on the go. That's Old School Hot Rodding !!!! I don't fancy the lowered look at all, but its your truck, so ultimately do what you like/want.

Either way, its going to be a sweet truck when it's done, even if you left the body exactly as is. Nicest think about it, is holes can be easily patched with a welder  :D.
My only suggestion is, if you are planning on a supercharger down the road, build the bottom end for it now - forged crank,  rods, pistons, rings, bearings, you know, the whole gammit. Saves having to re-do it later. Also, if you can budget it, I would go for timing gears instead of a timing chain. More expensive, and louder, but well worth it. (snapping a timing chain in the middle of a 1/4 mile is a death sentence to your engine - possibly the whole truck or worse :-[
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2020, 09:53:50 am »
Not sure if there's much interest in keeping this going, but it's boring during quarantine.

Found the tires..

Working on the step notch

And I'll be building a rotisserie for the frame shortly to get to work on that section

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2020, 10:09:36 am »
Not sure if there's much interest in keeping this going, but it's boring during quarantine.

Yes.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2020, 10:19:57 am »
What's a good, free image hosting website?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2020, 10:28:37 am »
What's a good, free image hosting website?

I have gone to the multiple emails on flickr method, probably unethical. 
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 10:38:50 am »
imgur
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2020, 01:31:38 pm »
Almost done the step notch - everything is fitted together, most of it welded right in.

Those tires are just for mockup as they're about the appropriate height, but with the modifications made I can put just under 29" tall tires in and have it laid out when I park it.

It'll have 29x15.5x15 -> which for the metric guys is 395/45r15.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 01:50:43 pm »
Do you have any plans on boxing the C frame in and adding more stuff to keep from flexies?

This is such a cool project.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2020, 04:09:47 pm »
Did I read that right. 395's.

TICKEY MOMPSONS!!

I echo the above comments, how will you triangulate this whole rear affair?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2020, 07:20:24 pm »
The radius you see around the notch that boxes the wheels in.. that also boxes in the step notch. It's strong AF, the notch is made out of 5/16 and the rest if 3/16.

The entire frame will be boxed - after I finish off the rear fabrication I'll be boxing the entire frame from front to back. The tranny mount is an entire centre section that will add more strength, in addition to a driveshaft loop that'll be mounted in between the tranny and notch.

It'll still twist I'm sure... but that's just purely because of the power it's going to be handling. ATM I'm thinking of scrapping the twin turbo idea and going supercharger for a few reasons.

1. It's clean - the one I'm looking at will simply modify the intake manifold.
2. It lets me drive it sooner - plan is to get it up and running, and that winter toss on the blower.
3. It'll net about 650whp/tq to the rear wheels
4. Since that'll be a nice start, I'll add on some spray for funzies.

Here's where it'll sit laid out -

And ya.. you read that right, some good ol' 395 series.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2020, 09:29:23 am »
The radius you see around the notch that boxes the wheels in.. that also boxes in the step notch. It's strong AF, the notch is made out of 5/16 and the rest if 3/16.

The entire frame will be boxed - after I finish off the rear fabrication I'll be boxing the entire frame from front to back. The tranny mount is an entire centre section that will add more strength, in addition to a driveshaft loop that'll be mounted in between the tranny and notch.

It'll still twist I'm sure... but that's just purely because of the power it's going to be handling. ATM I'm thinking of scrapping the twin turbo idea and going supercharger for a few reasons.

1. It's clean - the one I'm looking at will simply modify the intake manifold.
2. It lets me drive it sooner - plan is to get it up and running, and that winter toss on the blower.
3. It'll net about 650whp/tq to the rear wheels
4. Since that'll be a nice start, I'll add on some spray for funzies.

Here's where it'll sit laid out -

And ya.. you read that right, some good ol' 395 series.

I think boxing that frame and adding some supports will make a big difference. Also, that radius I was seeing that it was dummy thick and beefing up that C notch.

I guess my next question, with all the frame modification, are you worried about getting insurance and inspections completed? I am worried about even running rock sliders on my truck.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2020, 10:58:41 am »
How the heck do you have such a clean and empty garage?  How can you keep your life in one cabinet and one suspending shelf?