Author Topic: Back after a long break  (Read 537 times)

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
Back after a long break
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
Hi all. haven't been on in a looong time, but decided to come back
My story.  So I got my first subie in oct. 2011 - an '11 wrx. Loved the car, had no problems or issues with it - even drove it through 2 winters on the summer tires with no problems. But due to unforeseen financial issues, I had to sell it in 2014.  I missed it dearly !!!! Fast forward a few years, and in Oct. 2017 I got an '18 wrx sport. If there has been 1 good thing about it, it is that I went with the "kicker" speaker and sub upgrade. Otherwise, over all, I have been extremely disappointed with it. She is NOTHING to what the '11 was. Performance was dismal, handling was not there, etc,etc. just an overall let down.The FA20 engine in my opinion is nothing of what they say it is, and after doing a bunch of research, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't even worth trying to mod, due to the weak rods, and the fact it would take around $6000 - $8000 in internals just to bring it up reliably over 300 hp. Then the tranny would have to be replaced to handle it as well. I only ever did 3 good launches with the car. On the 3rd launch I got a very nasty clunk and bang from the trany as she locked in, and decided that I wouldn't ever try it again. Also noticed the fuel economy she was supposed to have wasn't there. I averaged 21-22 mpg over the year and a half I've owned it, (I'm 47 BTW, so I don't drive like an idiot - most the time!) I noticed, that to drive the car properly and not lug it,keeping it between 2800-3400 rpm, the boost/vacuum gauge would always be right around -2 -5, and the slightest throttle change would cause the turbo to kick in, and thus the fuel gauge to drop. So, a week and a half ago I was in for my servicing, and just happened to ask what it would take to get out of my lease. Easy peasy !!!! I didn't even lose anything, and because My new one is my 3rd car bought from Scott subaru, I got the wickedly low interest rate, and I am now getting into a 2019 Sti sport-tech !!!!!Its being PDI'ed and having some extra parts put on it as we speak, and should be getting it within 2 weeks !!!!!!!! I'm very excited!!!!  Will post a pic or 2 of the '18 once I figure out how  LOL
]
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: Blue V8, 15 Odyssey
Re: Back after a long break
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
Welcome back to Subaru!  That's odd to hear about your '18 WRX, but, whatever! 

You do, however, bring really disheartening news :O 

There are too many rumors, and now even a few reports coming out from the states, that the new revamped Sti will be a hybrid !!!!! And the manual transmission will be GONE !!!!!

Ahwell.  Congrats on the up and coming STI!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
Thanks, and yes I agree on the disheartening news !!!!!! Especially the loss of a manual! But, apparently, according to stats, less than %25 of drivers even know how to drive a manual, and Subaru wants their eyesight tech. on everything, so I can understand that. The hybrid part may not be such a bad idea, other than the loss of trunk space and all the added weight. the schematic I saw showed the trunk pretty much full of motor and batteries!!!  I'm trying to find it, and I will post and share it!
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
Oh and yeah, if you ever get the chance to drive a stock '11 - '13 WRX, and then a stock  '16+ WRX, you'd notice the differences right away !! That, and after learning about all the flaws and weakness' of the FA20 just made the '18 a dissapointment. I don't regret getting it, and am actually quite happy I waited to get the '19 Sti due to them finally doing something about the pistons and rings

Offline RedBimmer93

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
All those links you shared above bring Error 404 :(

Welcome to the forums!

Offline Way_Gone

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2014 WRB STI Tsurugi
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
Welcome back!

I test drove a 2015 WRX against my 2014 STi and was surprised at how little I liked the WRX in comparison. When the FA came out, everybody was over the moon for a new engine platform but I never had the chance to drive one until recently. It was fine, but certainly wasn't anything to write home about.
But compared to my GV STi it certainly didn't feel like much of an improvement

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
Welcome back!

I test drove a 2015 WRX against my 2014 STi and was surprised at how little I liked the WRX in comparison. When the FA came out, everybody was over the moon for a new engine platform but I never had the chance to drive one until recently. It was fine, but certainly wasn't anything to write home about.
But compared to my GV STi it certainly didn't feel like much of an improvement
I've now had my Sti for the weekend, and yeah, what a huge overall difference. Other then the blue paint, the 2 are totally different cars!

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 01:44:09 AM »
So just to update. 2 weeks and 700km's on the STi.

I am so far very happy I made the switch. The very first and noticeable difference has been the ride height. That 1 1/2 " makes a huge difference for us old farts getting in and out of the car - and you can go ahead and roast me on this one - but the wife really appreciates the extra inch and a half as well ::) LOL.  Next biggest - and best difference - the trany !!!!! the tight ratio's and short throws are sooo much nicer ! Of the 700km's  I'm sure 500 have been in 6th gear - where as on the WRX out of the 25 000 km's I don't think 200 of them were in 6th. That , and the annoying rev hang being gone makes the car so much smoother and drivable ! One other great improvement I have noticed, on the WRX, if you "speed shifted" (shifting without the clutch) the gear indicator did not work until you engaged and dis-engaged the clutch. On the STI, it works without it - not that this is any real great feature - but it is one of the nit pic's I had on the WRX.
I also find it is much easier to drive economically. With the WRX the turbo was kicking in around 2200-2500 rpm regardless of throttle position. With the STI I can rev it up to around 3200 on 10% throttle and not engage the turbo. thus so far I have been able to achive 8.9l/100km - better than I averaged in the WRX. This I know is going to change very quickly - in around 800km's - especially when I decide to try out the S and S# modes!!!
I was a bit concerned about the stiffness of the STi's suspension, but so far it is a total non-issue, other than I find it does corner much better!
I was also a little concerned about the wing blocking the rear view - but this has also been a non-issue. I can barely see the wing in the mirror - though that I'm sure will change if I decide to add some stiffeners.
Other improvements that were my doing:
My WRX was the Sport trim, but I had the Kicker speakers and sub installed. The STi is the Sport-tech trim - Those reccaro seats are so much more comfortable, and the HK system does sound much cleaner and a touch louder - though a bit less base having a smaller sub.The head unit on the STi is a bit less user friendly - but I'm sure thats a lot to do with the fact that I'm old and have a hard time with touch screens in general!  On the downside - even with a high quality seat protector I'm afraid to let my dogs into that beautiful interior - so if I'm taking them anywhere I guess we have to take the truck !! I'm also not really happy with all the red inside. I just can't get over putting red seats and seat belts in a blue car. Granted , you don't notice it while driving, but its still a little nit pic of mine - and about the only one!
I haven't really put the Brembo's through much of a test , but the piece of mind just knowing they are there is a good feeling - plus the highlighter yellow calipers really make the car stand out from your average corolla or focus.
Do I regret buying the WRX ? not at all! it was a very good car - just disappointing after having the '11 WRX
Any I glad I traded it for the STi ?  ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
Not sure how you could possibly fault the handling of a 15+ WRX coming from a 2011, it’s actually the biggest highlight of the new chassis for me. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the STi though, it’s definitely the way I would go between the two as well, for many of the reasons you mentioned.

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »
The '11 had a much stiffer suspension than the '18. They softened it quite a bit for ride comfort. Some coilovers and stiffer easy bars would have mostly fixed it, but I just wasn't prepared to go that route. I had decided within the first 6 months  that I wasn't going to keep the car, so I wasn't going to put any money into it. My biggest comparison was with one particular 90 deg.  corner. In the '11 I could take it at 100km/be. It would just start to slide about 2/3 of the way around, and I could just drop a gear and punch it and off she went.  I tried it once in the '18 at only 70km/be and it was scary to say the least. Never tried it again! I also have a beautiful S corner on my commute to and from work (highway 54 by the Innisfail airport) Both the '11 and the STi don't even roll or ya around it at @00km/hf.  The '18 felt just like our minivan.

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 03:36:06 AM »
OK. So I broke down and opened a flickr account. Lets see if this works.   First, the only pic I can find of the 2011 ...
Internet Explorer Wallpaper by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:38:25 AM »
And now a couple of pic's of the 2018 the second day I had her
IMG_20171005_104547751_HDR by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr
IMG_20171005_104523923 by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr

more to come, once I can get them transferred from google photos

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 04:08:07 AM »
And a few more of the '18, with my "Boxer equipped" security system  :P
Dory by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr
boxer equipped by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 04:14:53 AM »
And just a couple of more of the '18
2018 by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr
2018 by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr

First one is just her in the background, at my "hobby job" site. (these are the type of "guns" I like to shoot)
Second is just some added decor, because of course I named them Dory
And the third is a typical day at work, where our resident cat alwys has to go and sleep - even after the car has been parked for 10 hours! And hence the first "mod I did on the '19

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 04:18:07 AM »
And finally, a couple of pics of the '19 with my youngest and 2 of our dogs.
2019 by Trevor Brenna, on Flickr

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »
And one last one for the night. First "mods" done.  I'll post more after I get her all done. Right now I'm just waiting on the rally armors and window tint, plus a few more dress up pieces.

The "dots" on the front bumper are from the dealership. The car was on display at the Edmonton auto show back in April before it came to me. They were going to take them off, but there was a scratch on the bumper, so they ordered a new one. I told them not to worry about them then (I was just anxious to drive her!)   New bumper and rally armors to be installed next week!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: Blue V8, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »
At least that boxer won't grenade on you!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 11:27:17 PM »
At least that boxer won't grenade on you!

LOL, don't be too sure of that !!!! (Assuming you are referring to the dog LOL)   I brought him to work with me tonight, which I do quite often. We weren't here 1/2 hour when he projectile vomited 4 times in 4 different spots! Had to get the wife to come pick him up, and now I spend a few hours mopping floors!

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 11:31:22 PM »
I'm really hoping the car won't grenade !!!!! Part of the reason I went for it, is the upgraded internals. I have no plans in the next 5 years to do any mechanical mods. I don't go parking lot drifting in the winter, and I don't drive like an idiot 99.8% of the time, so here's hoping .....

If not, well I did lease it so the option is there to send it back.