Author Topic: Amanda's Offroad SF Forester Project  (Read 1825 times)

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 99 Forester
Amanda's Offroad SF Forester Project
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:24:17 pm »
I’ve had this car for about 1.5 years. I got it as a $500 beater I could use when I hit the gravel and not have to worry about my “nice” car getting damaged. It was already being used as backwoods fishing hole transportation. It probably should have just been parted out. I never expected to fall in love with this heap of junk. I figured with all the work I'm about to put into it, I may as well start documenting it's progress. I'm also hoping to use this to debate ideas for it's future.

BACKSTORY

That was the car when I brought it home. The exhaust was missing from the 2nd cat back. The windshield was smashed on the passenger side. The whole front end body looked like it lost a drunk back alley fight. Other than replacing a wheel bearing, I drove it like that for 4-6 months. My goal was to spend as little money as possible on it, see how long it takes to die.

After the second time I was pulled over, I gave in and decided to clean up the front end. I put a new windshield in myself. I’ve seen it done enough that it looked super easy. It was not super easy. I won't make that mistake again. I replaced both front fenders, hood, and grill. I had to straighten the rad support to get the new hood to meet the latch. Then I threw on a random subaru exhaust a friend gave me for free. Even though it sat kinda high, I didn't think it was much of an issue until it melted a giant hole in my bumper.

April 1st, 2018 – I pick up a replacement driveshaft and shifter linkage from RedBimmer93. This is relevant later.

So now the car’s chugging along. Slight misfire, but otherwise relatively solid. I’ve blown through a MAF already, and when I replaced it I noticed that there were about 20 nickle-sized holes drilled in to the bottom of the airbox (I assume for water drainage). I put a new air filter in and just left it as is. Then I blew another MAF. So I replaced it and put some tape on the bottom of the airbox.

April 4th, 2019. The Forester completely dies on my way to work. I tow it home. Eventually it works out that I’m going to pick up an engine from... RedBimmer93. I guess higher powers have decided he needs to do an annual garage clearout? Or maybe he's just sabotaging my car.

After some troubleshooting, it turns out it was my new MAF. So now I’m on MAF #4. #3 had been giving me issues for a while, but I took the opportunity to replace the airbox just in case it was still leaking. Hopefully #4 is here to stay.

FUTURE PLANS

Next weekend I’m doing the suspension and brakes. The current set is toast, and my bushings are all in terrible condition.

The “Need To Do” List:
  • Rear diff bushings - Probably the whiteline kit or something similar.
  • Gear and Diff fluid swap (any suggestions here?)
  • New bumpers with quick releases.
  • Fix Exhaust Position
  • Install an ebrake assembly

Eventually I'll slap on some fun stuff like a bumper bar, aux lights and a roof rack. For budget's sake, I'm going to try and make as much of this at home as possible. I'm totally open to suggestions.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Amanda's Offroad SF Forester Project
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 12:29:51 am »
Jebus.

Welcome to the club. What's your nice car?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:28:12 pm »
It's a manual 98 Volvo V70 T5. Which doesn't mean much to most Subaru people, but I promise it's a great car.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:54:43 pm »
Hey now, don't be so quick to judge.  A lot of us would be more interested in your Volvo than the Forester lol.  Check out the non-Subaru projects here:  http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?board=136.0

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:47:16 pm »
It's a manual 98 Volvo V70 T5. Which doesn't mean much to most Subaru people, but I promise it's a great car.
Arguably the best seats in the class... Even until today.

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 07:04:05 pm »
I'm glad you two appreciate it. There isn't much to say about it at this point, but it'll be getting an overhaul in the next year or so. Suspension is shot in it as well, among other things. I started with the cheap car.  :P

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:16:42 pm »
The suspension bushings turned out to be a bigger job than anticipated. Pro tip: If a friend asks for help replacing their lateral link bushings, they're not really your friend.

I ordered Whiteline lateral link bushings and Prothane trailing arm bushings for a grand total of ~$170. Everything except the larger trailing arm bushings are two piece bushings. I forgot to order control arms, and decided to leave the tie rods.

I did a bunch of reading before attempting this, and was prepared to fight the long bolts on the lateral links. They actually weren't too much of an issue but the cam bolt for tow adjustment on the rearward link ended up being a nightmare. I spent way too much of Saturday trying to get the first cam bolt out before deciding it was gonna need to be cut. With my strongest cutting tool being a little Dremel, that bolt was going to have to wait. It was pretty late at this point, and we were discouraged by our overall lack of progress so I pulled the remaining rear hub and replaced the outward bushings from all three other lateral links before calling it a night. I didn't take a picture of the lateral link bushings, but this is the general condition of the bushings that came out:

Sunday morning we picked up an angle grinder and got the first lateral link out. It was an awkward spot to cut. We only bought a 4.5" disc and had to keep turning the bolt to get all the way through. Time was passing quickly and my left trailing arm was really bad so we decided to get started on that. The bushing bolt for the trailing arm up by the frame was really tight. We couldn't get any tools on it, so we decided to drop the frame bracket. BIG MISTAKE. It turns out the bolts are held on by a nut welded to the other side of the frame. When the bolts seize, the nuts break free of their welds and you have to go find them under the seat. We broke 2 out of 3.

I had to stand on the breaker bar because the vibration from the impact on the other side was too much to hold. Once we get the bracket down, the bolt through the bushing came out with no fuss at all. I regret not trying harder to get a tool in there.

At this point we were about 40% done the bushings and nearing the end of Sunday. The new suspension didn't make it into the car because the rear bump stops I ordered are too long to thread the nut back onto the strut. This weekend I'm hoping to pull the old rears out and steal the bump stops from them instead, then tackle the other trailing arm at a minimum. Fingers crossed!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:02 am »
Wait, is this Amanda, friends with Jacky, the EVO that never runs, Amanda? 

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:30:48 am »

Gonna go with yes.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »

Yes it is! Famous by association.  8)

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 04:42:06 pm »
Yes it is! Famous by association.  8)

Who says being associated with Jacky is good for being famous...
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 04:53:07 pm »
Haha, I was going to make a similar comment but he's assisting in assembling the new suspension. I should probably be nice until I get my springy bois back from him.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 07:52:43 pm »
Who says being associated with Jacky is good for being famous...

Yeah, honestly, I was going to get the admins to flag your account.

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 10:46:33 pm »
Aww, you guys are too sweet.  :P

So tonight was oddly successful. Everything's out. I started grinding the rust down on the lateral links so I can paint them, but I haven't pulled the old bushings out yet. I also took apart my rear suspension. The struts have zero rebound left in them. I'm surprised at how smooth the ride still was in that condition.

Here's what the second trailing arm bushing looked like on the car. This was the better looking of the two.

I ended up having to cut that bolt out. The remaining 3 lateral links came out pretty easily - no cutting required! Tomorrow I'll put all the new bushings and suspension in, then Sunday we have a rally Test Day where I'll get to see how it all feels. :D :D :D

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 05:55:01 pm »
I got pretty sick about 3 weeks ago. So it took foreverrrr for me to get the suspension back in. I think I spent more time under the car sleeping than working. Then I had a rally to prep for, so I've been pretty distracted.

Now that the suspension is in, I got about 2" of lift in the front and 1.5" in the rear.

It performed beautifully on Recce last weekend. Among other things, there were numerous cattle guards that we couldn't feel driving over. As I chose overload springs, they are HELLA stiff on pavement. I'm not a fan, but the offroad comfort and control is completely worth it in this application.

The biggest issue I've had so far, is that the top mounts I ordered (Monroe) appear to have been supplied with the wrong nuts. They don't thread nicely and they keep backing off. The old ones seem to fit perfectly. Unfortunately I've misplaced most of them... I'll replace them this weekend and add some locktite.

To remove the lateral link bushings, I used a hand held wheel bearing puller. Quite a few people refused to believe that worked, so I made a gif.    ;D

https://imgur.com/TzYk3Iw

The trailing arm bushings have a race, so the bearing puller wasn't an option there. The bushing part pulls out really easily with a long screwdriver. Then Jacky airhammered the race out for me.

Overall, I'm happy. As always, there were a couple bumps along the way. Like the front inner CV falling off the transmission and grinding about when driving. I also accidentally started a rust removal project on the roof a week ago, so I guess patching all the bare metal I've now exposed is my next task.  :(

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 07:00:24 pm »
Lift looks good; just need some meatier tires.  Rathburn is all about the nuts.

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 08:45:42 pm »
Thanks! Those are just tiny Impreza sized tires. I put the stock size back on, and it looks much better. It looked ridiculous on the 15" gravels though.

I'm hoping to get some A/T tires later this summer, first I have to catch up on all the things that broke at the rally. I tore a rear CV boot and now the joint is clunking, my drive shaft started grinding and my blower motor suddenly decided to only run intermittently. If anyone has cheap/free SF/GC parts they're getting rid of, hit me up. Apparently I need at least 3 of everything.

DaDuke99

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 09:27:07 pm »
If anyone has cheap/free SF/GC parts they're getting rid of, hit me up. Apparently I need at least 3 of everything.
;D
I have 2 of everything. Could probably set you up with some goodies from my 01 for a lot of stuff. Let me know what you're looking for in a pm, I'm out of town atm but can arrange something I'm sure. I have 2 or 3 spare sets of tires.. Spare drive shaft.. Engine goodies..
We'll talk

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »
How soon before the strut towers are separated from the body on this as well?

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:13 pm »
get out you jaded soul

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 11:52:42 pm »
;D
I have 2 of everything. Could probably set you up with some goodies from my 01 for a lot of stuff. Let me know what you're looking for in a pm, I'm out of town atm but can arrange something I'm sure. I have 2 or 3 spare sets of tires.. Spare drive shaft.. Engine goodies..
We'll talk

Do you have a spare front bumper?

DaDuke99

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 10:31:47 am »
Do you have a spare front bumper?
I believe so

Offline PeachyAmanda

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 08:24:03 pm »

HEY NOW.

For everyone else, here's how the weekend went for the rally car. I'm SO glad I'm not financially responsible for this thing.

Also, I actually have a front bumper. But if someone has a rear I'd be interested.

Phr00t

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 08:55:41 am »
^^^ That only happened on the last stage, we still finished and were able to SEND IT

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 02:53:50 pm »
^^^ That only happened on the last stage, we still finished and were able to SEND IT

Are you silly?  Amanda updates your thread and you post in hers?