Author Topic: 2015 WRX - Horn not working  (Read 978 times)

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
2015 WRX - Horn not working
« on: June 19, 2019, 12:00:29 pm »
Horn not working when I press the steering wheel. Just noticed it a few days ago, went to press the horn and it did nothing, pressed a couple times and got a beep, now nothing at all. 

Confirmed the horn does actually function because it beeps when I depress the lock button 3 times on the key fob. I would think that would rule out the actual horn, the wire connections at the horn, and the fuse for the horn?

Any suggestions as to where to start looking? Some sort of steering wheel issue? Is this maybe a common Subaru problem - clock spring? Don't really know much about this.

Until it's fixed, I will resort to flipping people off, but my finger is gonna get tired real quick.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
Re: 2015 WRX - Horn not working
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 12:22:31 pm »
Seems that Subaru integrates their horn switches into the air bag assembly. So, if not the fuse, or the horn itself, then it's likely that, have to take the air bag off and inspect, similar this video.

Or, if you don't want to go there just wire up a button somewhere on your dash that's easily replaceable since you seem to use the horn so much. May I suggest a slightly modified "Easy" button in the centre of your dash?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:52:31 pm »
Or, if you don't want to go there just wire up a button somewhere on your dash that's easily replaceable since you seem to use the horn so much. May I suggest a slightly modified "Easy" button in the centre of your dash?

It is easy for Chris to get...  Horny. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:49:24 pm »
Clock spring?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:03:35 pm »
I had a 4runner that would do this, periodic removal of airbag to clean the switch was required. Once I got sick of that I replaced the switch.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 07:45:11 am »
Clock spring?

That's my thoughts, and from reading a few comments on the internet, seems the most likely at this time.

I will also note that the airbag light has NOT come on.

Is there an easy way to diagnose this without spending 200 bucks on a replacement and ripping apart my steering wheel? Or pretty much you don't know until you replace it?
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 08:01:45 am »
That's my thoughts, and from reading a few comments on the internet, seems the most likely at this time.

I will also note that the airbag light has NOT come on.

Is there an easy way to diagnose this without spending 200 bucks on a replacement and ripping apart my steering wheel? Or pretty much you don't know until you replace it?

Presuming the harness goes down from the steering column, one would find the corresponding connector, unplug it, and test for continuity on the horn +/- circuit when you press on the switch. Bonus points if you turn the wheel through all lock-to-lock to see if it's the clock spring or the part that Cagare posted.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:50 am »
I'd say take it into the dealer for warranty, but I forgot that Subaru only has a 3 year warranty. Sucker.
There was a recall on my old GTI clock-spring, to the point that they extended the warranty on it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 10:40:51 am »
I'd say take it into the dealer for warranty, but I forgot that Subaru only has a 3 year warranty. Sucker.
There was a recall on my old GTI clock-spring, to the point that they extended the warranty on it.

Car is older than 5 years anyways, so warranty still wouldn't catch it.

Presuming the harness goes down from the steering column, one would find the corresponding connector, unplug it, and test for continuity on the horn +/- circuit when you press on the switch. Bonus points if you turn the wheel through all lock-to-lock to see if it's the clock spring or the part that Cagare posted.

Yeah, I'll have to do some dickin' around in there.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 12:57:25 pm »
Did you get an alignment recently? Or have the steering wheel off for any reason

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 01:04:02 pm »
Did you get an alignment recently? Or have the steering wheel off for any reason

Negative. Car has had nothing done other than oil change and general inspection back in March or April. Horn worked fine after that.

Car is what I would consider to be basically stock, and has not had anything major done to it at all. 

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 02:27:14 pm »
Did you pull it apart yet and check connections/ wires? Unplug / plug itshay back in? Looks like it takes 1 minute to pop off that airbag cover. Disconnect battery first ofcourse.

Skip to 2:00 He just pops a few clips from behind.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 02:44:19 pm »
Did you pull it apart yet and check connections/ wires? Unplug / plug itshay back in? Looks like it takes 1 minute to pop off that airbag cover. Disconnect battery first ofcourse.

Skip to 2:00 He just pops a few clips from behind.

Haven't pulled it apart yet, that's gonna be a weekend job. Thanks for the vid, seems straight forward enough