Author Topic: Which Cobb OTS Map for stage 1 Husky 94 in 15+ WRX?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Canadian 2.5RS

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '01 2.5 RS...'05 LGT...'16 WRX
Which Cobb OTS Map for stage 1 Husky 94 in 15+ WRX?
« on: May 03, 2019, 01:53:53 pm »
Hey folks!

Which Cobb OTS Stage 1 map are those of you driving FA 15+ WRX using? I am going to get the 91 octane map for sure (just in case I cant get to Husky 94) but should I bother with the 93 octane map? I'm not sure because of the 10% ethanol Husky adds to their fuel.

Is anyone, running stage 1 no mods, using the Cobb OTS 93 map daily with Husky 94? or is everyone using the 91?

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
Re: Which Cobb OTS Map for stage 1 Husky 94 in 15+ WRX?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 11:34:12 pm »
Use the 91 octane map and fill up with 94 gas. Apparently our gas here is not up to par compared to the gas in the US.
I occasionally stream games on Twitch

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 03:24:30 pm »
Well, to start, I would bet next to no one is running a Cobb OTS map. They are tuned for around 750 feet  above sea level. In red deer we are at about 2200 feet. That's going to make a huge difference right there.  Secondly, I have to ask why would you want to run stage 1 without the hardware(parts) to back it up. You may see slight minor improvements, but you would be much better off just running the 00 map to get rid of the rev hang and make the thottle a bit more linear, until you can add the parts to make it a stage 1. And finally, I'm not going to say much, but I would be very wary of the Red deer husky stations. Just cause the pump says it's 94, doesn't for sure mean it is.
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 03:30:24 pm »
You should pop in to AFR in red deer one day. They are a great bunch, will give you some good Fred advice and help, and can even Dyno and tune your car when you are ready to start adding parts. Chances are, they probably already have a great tune already for your car the way it sits.
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline SirBoostalot

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 04:57:04 pm »
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/75071626/Map+Notes+for+VA+WRX+6MT+North+American+and+ADM+Spec

Read Cobb's map notes if you haven't already, that should answer your questions. For Canadian customers they recommend running a 91 octane map and using 94 fuel. I would not try the 93 map because it will increase the risk to your motor for minimal performance improvement.

Best advice is probably to get a pro tune, but I've had good luck with the OTS tunes in the past (on the EJ25 engine). It's just important to use the appropriate map (as recommended by Cobb) and monitor for knock.

...They are tuned for around 750 feet  above sea level. In red deer we are at about 2200 feet. That's going to make a huge difference right there.  Secondly, I have to ask why would you want to run stage 1 without the hardware(parts) to back it up...

Cobb stage 1 is for mechanically stock vehicles, no aftermarket parts required. The map notes linked above also discuss elevation... Cobb maps (and the factory ECU) compensate for high elevations, so that's not an issue. You'll just see a bit less boost because of the decreased air density.

DaDuke99

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 05:39:04 pm »
. And finally, I'm not going to say much, but I would be very wary of the Red deer husky stations. Just cause the pump says it's 94, doesn't for sure mean it is.
Wait, what?

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 06:35:48 pm »
Cobb stage 1 is for mechanically stock vehicles, no aftermarket parts required. The map notes linked above also discuss elevation... Cobb maps (and the factory ECU) compensate for high elevations, so that's not an issue. You'll just see a bit less boost because of the decreased air density.

+1

...but you would be much better off just running the 00 map to get rid of the rev hang and make the thottle a bit more linear, until you can add the parts to make it a stage 1.

The stage 0 tune does not change throttle mapping, nor does it get rid of rev hang. It is pretty much the stock tune, just lets you data log and monitor values using your Accessport.
I occasionally stream games on Twitch

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 09:06:17 pm »
Wait, what?
All I can say is, the 3 husky stations are very old, and 2 of them were not originally husky's.  All 3 stations only have 3 fuel tanks, regular, premium, and diesel.   So where do you suppose they are storing the "94" (though I'm pretty sure only the 1 station "sells" it.)  You don't think they keep barrels of it in the back room do you?

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 09:12:09 pm »
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/75071626/Map+Notes+for+VA+WRX+6MT+North+American+and+ADM+Spec

Read Cobb's map notes if you haven't already, that should answer your questions. For Canadian customers they recommend running a 91 octane map and using 94 fuel. I would not try the 93 map because it will increase the risk to your motor for minimal performance improvement.

Best advice is probably to get a pro tune, but I've had good luck with the OTS tunes in the past (on the EJ25 engine). It's just important to use the appropriate map (as recommended by Cobb) and monitor for knock.

Oh. My bad !!! They must have changed it up since I was looking 2 years ago ! At that time the stage 00 would get rid of the factory emissions tune and rev hang. Stage 1 was for the Cobb intake , etc etc.   
I guess I should stay a little more up to date !!!

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 09:40:29 pm »
When I was filling with husky on the regularly in red deer it flipped between 91 and 94 several times.

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 09:49:15 pm »
yep, that sounds right. problem was, you never knew for sure just which one you were getting. Chances are, it was a blend, as they don't like to let the tanks go "dry"

DaDuke99

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:30 am »
Hmmm, interesting. The gasoline alley one has always been (claimed) 94, and I've only hit one other husky in red deer before, and it was also 94.

Offline B_Dub

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX STI
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 08:29:02 pm »
Unless Cobb recently changed it, its actually the ACN91 tune for Canadian gas. The regular 91 tune is a bit more aggressive. Saying that, I monitor knock religiously in my 18 sti and Ive found that husky 94 plus a bottle of STP octane boost lets me run the regular 91 map without issues.

Offline SirBoostalot

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21:35 am »
Unless Cobb recently changed it, its actually the ACN91 tune for Canadian gas...

This is true for the EJ engines, but for the FA20 there is no ACN91 map so you would just use the regular 91 map.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/dit-wrxfxt-acn91-maps/

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 08:25:29 am »
Another problem with the Cobb maps is reaching target boosts on the OTS maps. THe HWG map you overboost and the regular map you wont hit boost targets.

My advice is get a Stage 1 etune or tune from a reputable shop.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”