Author Topic: JDM Forester XT Questions  (Read 924 times)

Offline lenglish

• Stubbly Faced
  • Livin' the dream...
  • Ride: Evo 5
JDM Forester XT Questions
« on: August 11, 2019, 11:05:34 pm »
Hey yall,

Looking to get a new daily driver and I am considering a JDM Forester XT. Just wondering if anyone here has imported one?

I was under the impression that they were more or less the same as the Canadian spec XT's, but now I am seeing that the engines are actually different. Hmmmm....

Is this going to be a parts nightmare? I was really hoping for basically just straight crossover for parts.

I know, I know, just buy a Canadian XT  ;) I would, but the prices are much higher and the conditions seems a lot worse (from what I've seen on Kijiji).

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
Re: JDM Forester XT Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:52:22 am »
I imported one through JDM connection last year. The engine is the same as USDM ej205, but has single AVCS.  Parts are easily available for them.

Get a cross sport  XT. Their body kit and grill are so much cleaner than regular xts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145948497@N03/42734304732/

Offline lenglish

• Stubbly Faced
  • Livin' the dream...
  • Ride: Evo 5
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:52 am »
I imported one through JDM connection last year. The engine is the same as USDM ej205, but has single AVCS.  Parts are easily available for them.

Get a cross sport  XT. Their body kit and grill are so much cleaner than regular xts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145948497@N03/42734304732/

Thanks for the reply Mason. Good to know parts will be pretty simple.

I'm assuming the one you linked is yours? Looks great, I really love the black.

How have you found yours? Enjoyable to daily drive?

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mason. Good to know parts will be pretty simple.

I'm assuming the one you linked is yours? Looks great, I really love the black.

How have you found yours? Enjoyable to daily drive?

Yep that was mine. I only owned to for 6 weeks, but it was awesome to drive. Got lots of attention driving around. Pretty good on gas, but also drives like a wrx.

Only reason why I sold it is to buy my Forester with sti swap, other wise I would have kept it

Offline stampede1

• Stubbly Faced
  • Keep Coasting
  • Ride: 2003 Forester cross sports
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 06:14:12 pm »
Something to look out for if you get an auto instead of a 5spd is unfortunately like my cross sport they have issues with the transmission solonoids. Mine just went a few weeks ago and requires parts from Subaru Japan. Try to go manual if you’re into that! Aside from that I love my forester. It’s a little more “luxe” then usdm sg5s. You can also usually get them for a better price with less kms and better shape compared to local usdm.

Offline reet

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2002 SG5
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 02:48:15 pm »
This is a bit of an old post, but I'm in the process of bringing in a Forester SG5. From the little bit of research I've done, I don't completely agree with Mason that the EJ205 is the same as the USDM model. From the looks of it, the JDM EJ205 is 9:1 compression ratio, where USDM models are 8:1, as well the cam and crank pulleys are not the same, different notches for the sensors, something to keep in mind when you replace the timing belt.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 07:36:41 pm »
I'm willing to bet 90 percent of the parts swap over with absolutely zero issues or modifications. The other 10 percent come with difference of non-avcs vs avcs, and maybe a couple odd sensors.

The question being referred to is the replacement of parts, which by using part numbers you SHOULD be able to track down almost everything from a dealer. You'd be surprised what the dealer claimed they couldn't get, but actually had no issues getting.

Also the the pulleys being different do not effect the timing belt kit or install what so ever