Author Topic: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Sound Dampening Part 2  (Read 18340 times)

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 WRB FSXT
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Sound Dampening
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2019, 11:54:23 pm »
Another update on the dampening and all 4 doors are now completed.

The rear doors were way more easier to do than the fronts, most likely because there was less obstacles in the way to get the Noico on. The rear doors only and 1 brace bar so it was pretty easy to work with, and in addition, the holes in the door were a bit easier to get your arm up and apply the material. The only hiccup in the process was cutting the strips in half horizontally as an extra long sheet at 32" x 6" was too hard to work with. Way easier to apply and roll with two pieces of 16"x 6" and making sure they were lined up straight on the door. I'm just picky.   

At this point, I had a lot of spare pieces cut out in random shapes and sizes so instead of throwing them in the bin, I put them to use on the rear doors. Sure it does not look pretty, just like the fronts, or this may be even worse than the fronts, but, it does the job and I feel like I tackled most of the spots that I felt were really thin and/or had a hollow sound to them. Also applied the dampening material on the rear door panels as well and it does definitely help a lot in cutting out the plastic rattle noises. The metal door handle bar which is located between the panel and the moisture barrier (forgot to take a photo) was quite "tingy" and carried quite a bit of noise so I added a few patches of the Noico material and it definitely cut that noise out.

The whole process (4 doors) took me a few days to complete, and the rear doors took the least time to do but I'm sure I could have done all of this over one weekend so probably two full 8-9 hour days. Maybe I took too much time cleaning, measuring, or day dreaming during this install. A second person or set of hands would have helped and made the process go by quicker but you can totally do it yourself.

As for the Noico, I still have 2 full sheets and 2/3 of another remaining from the 9 full sheets which came in the box. Maybe I was not generous enough in the application or maybe I should have covered more. Maybe that is what took so long as I tried not to "waste" any of the Noico material. I thought about maybe doubling up the front doors and adding an extra layer on the thirds of the doors but I don't think that will make that much of a difference. I might end up using the  2 full sheets and 2/3 and dampening the area under the rear set from door to door and if I still have some remaining, maybe the spare tire area.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Same same, but different?
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2019, 01:46:15 am »
After the Noico back in June, I never really got to the rear seat or spare tire area... life happened, and it had been a busy summer, and even more busy from September until now.

A few minor changes/updates, as I've passed 144,000km on the odometer. One of the idler pulleys started to make noises during start up so I guess it was time to change it out. Decided to get the timing belt done around this time so I picked up a Gates Timing belt and component kit (TCK328N) along with the Alternator and power steering belt (Gates K050345) as well as the Air con belt (K040337).

Soon after that, my Hella Sharptone horns were getting a bit worn as sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It ended up being one of the horns stopped working as maybe the winter abuse got to it. Given the location I have them placed in the grille, they do take the brunt of the winter grime but they did hold up pretty well for about 4 years so I can't complain.

I picked up a new set on amazon for a pretty decent deal and replaced the old, with the new ones. I also decided to spray on a clear coat on the face of the hella horns just to give it a layer of protection. I used some of the Krylon clear coat on them but I don't expect it to significantly help, but maybe it'll last a few years longer than the old set.

A part of me still wanted to seek out some new wheels, and a friend had a set I was interested in. Luckily, he let me try them on and see if I really liked the new combination, but I'm not sure if I'm completely sold on them. Maybe it's just me where I'm too familiar with seeing the car with the BBS golds, and I'm not used to seeing it with these gunmetal ones. This combination makes the car the car look like a completely different car, which isn't a bad thing. Maybe I gotta try something that's 18" or a different pattern, darker shade?

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - 150,000 club
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »
Rolled over 150,000 KM yesterday morning. Hard to believe I've put 80,000+ on this. Few things on the list to do when spring rolls around. Mostly some minor maintenance items such as a fluid flush and such.

Time to go play in the snow.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Quarantine things
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2020, 05:27:42 pm »
Well... time flies, and it's April.
Decided to switch out of the winter tires today as the weather has been quite nice. Back to the gold BBS's but with Black Lug nuts this year. Subtle change but it really is better with less chrome/silver things on the car.

Now that we're all in this quarantine thing, I guess the best time to spend right now is in the garage. Oddly enough I still have a few things to finish up from from last year as things got busy and life happened. I still have sheets of the Noico sound dampening stuff, so I might end up actually doing the rear seat area in the next little while. Might need to switch out some LED bulbs all around as some have begun to fail and flicker. As for up coming maintenance will probably look at a full fluid flush.. Just rolled over 155,550km so it's near time to get some new liquids. Brakes, transmission, diff, etc. Luckily enough, everything else still feels nice and healthy (knock of wood), lots of brake pad and rotor left, clutch still feel strong. We'll see what this summer brings.

Wheels and car look super beat and dirty. Most likely will need a good detail at some point to correct the paint and to get it protected. Might also explore and get into more washing the car at home this season. I ended up getting a chemical guys 10 piece bucket kit which includes their RP Super Shine Dressing, Speed Wipe Quick Detailer, Citrus Wash & Gloss Concentrated Car Wash Soap , wash mitts and microfibers so might as well put them to good use. Just need to add a foam gun and will be good to go.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:35 am »
Paint still looks to be in great shape. Probably just needs another light polish and some protection and she will be good to go for a few more years.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2020, 09:29:58 am »
Looking good!!

Offline finboy

• Stubbly Faced
  • It burns how much gas???
  • Ride: 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sports 5MT
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2020, 04:07:36 pm »
Looking forward to hearing how the wash kit works out, winter is brutalizing my poor forester
Trying to keep fast station wagons from going extinct

My 2008 Forester XT Sports build

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Slight Refresh
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2020, 03:18:10 pm »
And here we are now in late June...

A few things has happened to make the Forester a bit more "alive". Finally had revisited 10Sec for a detail/paint correction and protection. As always, the work is fantastic and the car looks amazing. Rookie me forgot to snap some photos upon pick up as the excitement seeing how shiny the car was in the garage was so high. The last time the Forester had it's paint looking so well was almost 5 years ago, back on November 21, 2015. Definitely long overdue for a clean up, refresh, and gosh, I'm still amazed on how great it looks. Thank you again Stephen!

Today was also a major day was the Forester got new liquids! I'm pretty sure the vehicle was still running on the original fluids, which is now 12 years old. Picked up 5L of Gear 300 Motul 75W90 Transmission and Differential Fluid, 1L of Multi ATF for power steering, and 1L of Dot 5.1 Brake fluid. Coolant was also flushed today and filled with Subaru Blue. It's about time to get the fluids done as Subaru recommends these items to be performed around 160,000km. The Multi ATF was not used as I forgot I had the power steering fluid flushed from before when I had add the power steering belt changed at around 144k.

Got home and decided to quickly spray the car down with the garden hose. I never would have thought I could wash the car without using any soap. Literally sprayed the front bumper as a few bugs accumulated there and sprayed off some dirt/dust that was on the side panels. So great seeing the water bead up on the paint again, and using an air blower dried the car so fast.

Photos of the car as of today, after the rinse. These photos doesn't do it's justice on how shiny it is.

What is next for the Forester? Maintenance wise will probably have to look at spark plugs, but there is no urgency in getting those done right now. Timing belt, Transmission/diff, power steering and brakes are now checked off. Clutch and flywheel I still feel like it's fine, everything still feels strong and healthy. Brake pads and rotors still look and feel fine as well, lots of life left on the pads. Most likely very minor things as I still have yet to change most of the LED bulbs which are flickering on me (licence plate, side marker, etc.) but that's all I can think of right now.

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: sti swapped/fxt
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2020, 04:49:05 pm »
Looking great!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2020, 08:38:06 am »
Ahhh I missed some nice beads. Good to see you and the forester again. Keep it up for another 5 years.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2020, 12:26:48 pm »
Damn. I love this thing so much. It's looking great!! Also, I just noticed those Whiteline lateral links. Ugh.

What are you thoughts on the shift feel now that you've re-done the fluids?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2020, 07:09:02 pm »
Damn. I love this thing so much. It's looking great!! Also, I just noticed those Whiteline lateral links. Ugh.

What are you thoughts on the shift feel now that you've re-done the fluids?

Driving for a few days now with the new gear fluid I actually do feel a bit of a difference. I might have gotten used to the old fluid and how the box feels, but now, the gearbox movement from gear to gear feels way more smooth and direct with no resistance. I do have a COBB short throw and rear shifter bushing in there and I think this is how changing gears should feel. Before on the "old" gear oil the movement in the gear box felt "thick" and now with the new fluid it feels slick and lubed. (Insert joke here.) Can anyone else attest to this on fresh gear fluid?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2020, 09:43:45 pm »
Definitely. The biggest difference I noticed was over a winter; in -20 it was thicc and hard to move, the next month, same -20, new fluid, not as thicc.

^Click^

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Sound Dampening Part 2
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2020, 05:42:49 pm »
As noted above, one of the things to do on the "checklist" was to revisit the Noico Sound Dampening which I had originally started back in May of 2019. At the time, I had finished treating all 4 doors, their panels and the result was a significant improvement from noise. Obviously the Forester is literally a metal box so there will still be sounds rattling throughout, but just with the doors closing and hearing a nice, thick, "thud" is very satisfying. Shout out to Spencer on his install video I used as a guide. Video on how he did it on his old WRX can be found here:

Anyway, I had plans to do the rear seats as that's usually where I believe some of the road noise travels through into the cabin. Just how the rear wheels sit close to the rear sets, vibrations come through along with the drive shaft right below, fuel tank, and exhaust, it just seemed like a good spot to apply some of the left over Noico. From after treating the 4 doors, I had about 2.5 sheets left so I had lots to work with.

The first order of business was taking out the rear seats, which was super easy. Two bolts on the front side and lift up to unlatch the latch release.. and boy, was it a treat to find what was underneath there. You know the feeling of looking under your parents sofa cushions and finding lots of treasure there? Well, I found things alright. It wasn't bad, but bad enough to need a clean.

Removing those seats unlocked a bit of history for the Forester. It looked like the previous owner had kids at one point, or maybe a few clumsy adults who were riding in the backseat. There was a Wendy's plastic spoon, traces of chocolate Wendy's frosty, some gooey, sticky honey garlic sauce that was found in multiple spots. There were lots of hay or grass, lots of hair, and a hair tie. I also found an old gas receipt that dates back to February of 2012. The good news is that the previous owner filled with with ESSO Supreme which is basically their 91 Octane.

And a bonus, a total refund of $0.51 was found under the seats. Small wins everyone, small wins.

I didn't take much photos of the applying process of the Noico, as it's pretty straight forward. I didn't really have a "plan" per say going into it but I had a general idea of which spots I wanted to be treated. With the help of the roller handle, I just went around and did light taps to see which spots sounded like they would need the Sound Dampening the most and went from there. Learning from my mistakes and experiences from doing the 4 doors, I knew I wasn't going to get ALL of the spots, and I can't be perfect in applying the Noico. This mindset helped me in actually getting the job done, and removed the "perfect" coverage for the rear seats. Before I had started, I took out the seat belts and their bracket/reinforcement support as well, just so I can clean more of the Wendy's meal off of them and have more room to work with.

I started out working on the middle seat first, and then worked my way out to the doors on either side. Obviously the large, flat areas were easy to work with and the the areas that caused the most difficulty was the grooves and weird angles you had to massage the Noico into. Luckly, I still had my roller I used from last time so that was a big help with application process. I also added some more of the dampening material to the lower part of the backrest, basically the whole part where the child seat latches onto and what not. I've placed the rear seats back in now and everything is buttoned up. It should be a bit quieter, but I'm not looking for a significant difference. Also, this might have been a result of me trying not to waste as much Noico Sound Dampening material as I could, but after completing this rear seat bench area, I still have just over 1 full sheet left of Noico lol... I guess I can maybe add the rest of this to the spare tire area, or somewhere else in the car. Any recommendations on where to treat next?

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: sti swapped/fxt
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2020, 09:50:21 pm »
Hmm, I'll be interested if you notice a difference with the sound deadening under the seat.
I noticed a slight difference with with deadening the spare tire well. Saw a bigger difference with deadening the rear wheel wells, doesn't sound so tinny when you can drive over sand and gravel. Can also do some rust prevention while you're there.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2020, 10:03:10 am »
Yeah - thedude's WRX post is the sort of treatment I would consider. Anytime there's an enclosed area (e.g. behind the rear wheel wells) that's a resonance chamber you can treat w/ the dampening.

http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=54461.msg703469#msg703469

^Click^