Author Topic: 2002 Bugeye (Fun Times)  (Read 2135 times)

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 Hawkeye
2002 Bugeye (Fun Times)
« on: November 09, 2019, 01:45:28 pm »
So this found its way into my garage. It also has tags from this forum. If you know of the car or have any history good or bad.. would be interested in hearing about it.

More to come but need to warm up from this chilly day.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: 2002 Bugeye (Fun Times)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:13:06 pm »
So this found its way into my garage. It also has tags from this forum. If you know of the car or have any history good or bad.. would be interested in hearing about it.

Do you know who the previous owner(s) was/were?  More pics?  Hard to identify from just that angle. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:35:35 pm »
Do you know who the previous owner(s) was/were?  More pics?  Hard to identify from just that angle.

Pics will come but a name dropped was Damien?

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:11:33 pm »
So started doing some work today pulled the down pipe and that was an exercise in frustration and even punching myself in the face. Finally got it down and did some inspection no names to be found but here is what it looks like... If you know a possible brand or type please let me know.

Also I want to throw a wideband in for monitoring but from everything I read the port at the top isn't going to work because its too close to the turbo and the port further down is too far away.

Might need to have this down pipe modded or find another.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 09:57:11 pm »
Looks like Vibrant Power (Performance) exhaust, per the welded nameplate in your last shot! It appears fairly low on the 'quality' rank..

It's on the Header manufacture list over on Nasioc, too; https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601219

Maybe a newer one or different make/ model would have an easier way for you to add a wideband? Perhaps check a few other brands / inquire with some manufacturers!

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:05:19 pm »
Looks like Vibrant Power (Performance) exhaust, per the welded nameplate in your last shot! It appears fairly low on the 'quality' rank..

It's on the Header manufacture list over on Nasioc, too; https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601219

Maybe a newer one or different make/ model would have an easier way for you to add a wideband? Perhaps check a few other brands / inquire with some manufacturers!

Yah I know about vibrant and I know other manufacturers put the cat way further down and not immediately after the turbo. Not ready to spend money on a new downpipe for the sake of a o2 sensor.

I can get a high flow cat for $100 and someone to do some welding for $100 and save a ton of money and not also need to worry about changing any other pipes.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 10:59:18 pm »
I've never seen that DP before.  At first sight, the divorce plate and pipes looked nice, but the wastegate side being so restricted is a real downer.  Anyway, there seems to be no information on this DP, but I'll assume that the cat is already a high flow.

Where did you read that the port at the top no good for the wideband?  That seems to be the place most people install it. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 11:13:24 pm »
I've never seen that DP before.  At first sight, the divorce plate and pipes looked nice, but the wastegate side being so restricted is a real downer.  Anyway, there seems to be no information on this DP, but I'll assume that the cat is already a high flow.

Where did you read that the port at the top no good for the wideband?  That seems to be the place most people install it. 

Yah I mean the divorced bit is nice but I will check port size vs wg size and maybe open it a bit.

Regarding the O2 bit my understanding is that putting a wideband O2 that close to the turbo may cook it fast and cause a failure quickly.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 12:16:40 am »
That's a dandy place for the sensor, as long as there's no clearance issues.

Don't forget, the OEM O2 sensor is in the headers. Much hotter than after the turbo, and you don't hear about those sensors dying often.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 05:56:58 pm »
Poking around the car a bit more found a couple more gems..

EBCS:

HKS Turbo Timer:

And then I have this... I'm trying to determine if the T splice is OEM or if its done after the fact. Trying to clean up some of the weird oddities in this thing. It is on the passenger side and seems to run down under everything to the intake area? Possible PCV line?

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 07:02:26 pm »
Yea, I'd say PCV stuff is a fair guess.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 07:14:26 pm »
Yea, I'd say PCV stuff is a fair guess.

Yup just checked and see this https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-hose-vacuum~99071ab103.html . It was probably split from having the "catch can" setup.

Looks like I will be tracking down that hose now.

Also discovered the boost solenoid is for the AEM Tru-Boost gauge.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 07:32:39 am »
Just got to Gregg's and buy a few feet of the correct  sizes of hoses and Tee's and replace them all. Those hoses are looking beat.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 07:51:48 am »
Just got to Gregg's and buy a few feet of the correct  sizes of hoses and Tee's and replace them all. Those hoses are looking beat.

I wish I had the luxury of visiting Greggs or those places.. but my work hours and schedule doesn't allow me too. I have to be one of "those" people who visits part stores :D But does give me a good excuse to check out the new Lordco store in town.

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 03:48:23 pm »
I wish I had the luxury of visiting Greggs or those places.. but my work hours and schedule doesn't allow me too. I have to be one of "those" people who visits part stores :D But does give me a good excuse to check out the new Lordco store in town.

Make sure you get the right sizes!! If I recall correct there is 2 or 3 different size hoses.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 09:22:36 pm »
So while its not visible in the picture above... being that this is a hybrid engine the center breather port was either blocked or not hooked up right.

Picked up some new hose and plan to fix that. Its apparently something that confuses people on these hybrid builds.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 07:55:01 pm »
Will have a bit more to post but today was a exhausting day trying to finish off vacuum lines and getting the pcv back in check.

Had to craft this from parts as the OEM wasn't around...

Also since I did so much work to the vacuum system figured I would make a diy ghetto smoker and just waiting for it to dry and cure...

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 07:19:55 pm »
Got all the vacuum stuff squared away and you can see the extra crank vent running over to the left side (coil spring) thus completing the pcv system. Ran my smoker and found the TGVs were not tight on the right side and one bolt feels stripped so not doing much there. Probably do a TGV delete later.

Went to pull the plug out of the downpipe for the wideband and someone stripped it before so threads are junk. Got a tap on the way to see if I can fix them otherwise will be welding in some material and re-threading.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:37 pm »
Decided to pull and change the plugs... whoever was the braniac on that job is evil.

Nothing really jumping out at me except for #1 but the pcv system in this thing was hosed. Also did a compression check while I was at it and stone cold I got 140, 140, 150, 150. Would be nice to have them all equal but I'm not concerned.

Got my m18x1.5 tap and chased the threads and was able to get the o2 in for wideband.

Figure some good fuel and keeping up on maintenance, I hope at next interval things are as good.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 02:20:29 pm »
Got the car running again and what was thought to be a turbo issue was simply a vacuum leak somewhere and now that it no longer leaks I find on cold start up I can hear a tick coming from the left side of the car. Decided to pull the cover and check the valve lash and well... looks like some shims will be necessary.

Going to start pulling shims in the next day or two to see what it has and give my two kidneys to Subaru :D

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 04:43:03 pm »
Thanks to a fellow member was able to source a scoop that I wanted but was far too rich for my blood. The real JDM piece is like $300 USD so this will work just fine.

Its about I think 1" or so bigger over stock size and fits the hood profile better.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 06:24:36 pm »
Luckyyy.

The bigger scoop has been on my wishlist forever. But like you said, the asking price is usually nutty.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 06:39:54 pm »
Luckyyy.

The bigger scoop has been on my wishlist forever. But like you said, the asking price is usually nutty.

Yah JDM part prices lol.

It's not that the OEM is bad but it just seems so small to me for the size of the hood.

I was looking for one to go with the JDM tmic.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 10:28:03 pm »
Couldn't figure out why I had such a bad exhaust leak... think I found the culprit. Going to be dropping the downpipe and cutting and welding.

Probably get it lined up and then tack it and maybe find someone to finish it off. Any volunteers? :D

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 10:14:07 pm »
Well fixed the botched exhaust and about 8 other things today. My brain is mush ( :haplo90:) and my body is sore but sure felt good to get out and drive tonight :D Nothing like spooly noises to make it all better.