Author Topic: Here we go again....  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Hilux

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Focus RS, 2.5 RS, Mini
Re: Here we go again....
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 03:07:50 pm »
So, for the DCCD, I am using a DCCD Pro controller, which has all the leads to wire up each light in the cluster. That was just a matter of attachment.

For the outside temp, I had to build a circuit with a 5v regulator. I found the instructions of this online, and wired in the sensor.

Dimming, I used an external rheostat switch and just set it to a good level and hid it behind the cluster. The one stage dimming which occurs when you turn on the headlights I believe was already functional.

Rear diff temp (if you have the sensor in your diff) is just a matter of running one wire to the back, and finding the related plug in the cluster. If you're not using it, or the ABS, the easiest way to remove the lights is just disassemble the cluster and put a piece of electrical tape behind the gauge face where the lights are. Completely blocks the light and is unseen.

Offline Hilux

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 03:21:13 pm »
I have also posted this in the Modification Ideas forums:

From the first WRX I owned, to the last one I've built I always found the placement of the pedals, wheel, and other driver controls were in a strange position. The pedals have way too much travel, and if I adjust the seat to match them the steering wheel felt way too close. After having experience with several other cars that just seemed to fit me properly (ST205, FRS, LGT) I decided I have to do something about this.

I adjusted the pedals to be much more precise and added spacing under the clutch to make the bottom limit much higher, as well as pulling up the brake and gas pedals. This just left the steering wheel which still felt too close by a large amount. I though about getting an aftermarket wheel with a short hub, but I didn't want to change the stock wheel. Then I started to think about how a steering column is made and how they are designed to collapse in an accident. Using a spare as a test subject, I found both the shaft and housing has the ability to compress about 1-3 inches with a little pressure. So here we go!

First to get at the column, which is covered by a melange of wires.  You can leave the flashers and wheel attached though.

Once it's out, you can see the sleeve of the housing. It can move up and down.

I marked about a 1 - 1.5 inch distance from where the sleeve was sitting and the applied pressure to the lower section until it compressed to the line. You can see from the wear marks on the shaft how far it has moved.

I measured the shaft stickout length to be 84mm before I compressed it, so I hammered it in to be 84mm again. Use a rubber hammer, or something soft to avoid damaging the splines.

Back to original stickout

Now that the column and shaft are the desired length, I have to reposition the mount holes. Before I can test fit though, I need to remove this little hook-bracket. Vise grips rip it off easily.

Because I am moving it so far back, my new mounts are actually half off the bracket. If you only move it a little, you could just elongate the current holes.

This is how close it will sit to the dash now. Note: moving it this far inboard will slightly limit the amount of up/down travel you have.

Now to remove the adjustment bracket. Just one bolt and a couple springs. Be careful, both this bolt and the nut beneath have reverse threads. You must turn clockwise to loosen.

Removing all the springs makes this easier.

All apart. Now we can start cutting new holes.

Since my positioning sits so far off the bracket, I will be welding on some washers and extra bracing.

Clamp and align. I forgot to take a picture of the welded result, but it's nothing special. Just more solid.

When you go to mount it in the car with your new holes, you may need to fine tune the length in or out. If you happen to push the housing in too far it's not that hard to get back out. I used vise grips and a slide hammer technique in the vise.

Assemble everything as usual. When you are disconnecting the shaft from the steering rack, I suggest you only remove the u-joint from the shaft as it has only one way to fit back in. This means you won't screw up your alignment. Also, it helps to let the key lock the steering wheel in place to keep it from turning and ruining the airbag clockspring.

Sits much closer now!

Again, because I moved it so much closer, I have a little interference with the panels. It fits good enough for now, but I might cut out this little section whenever I take it off for other maintenance.

Everything as it should be!

The car feels so much better to drive now, I can be in a seating position that is comfortable and control things with minimum input. Much easier to rotate the wheel 90 degrees left with my left hand.

As an additional feature, I relocated the DCCD wheel so my heated seat switches could be together.

Offline Hilux

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2020, 08:24:51 am »
Though it has been years since I last posted in this thread, there was more story to this car. It eventually got a WRC widebody and a few other items. If anyone is interested I'll post that all up.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2020, 09:53:39 am »
Though it has been years since I last posted in this thread, there was more story to this car. It eventually got a WRC widebody and a few other items. If anyone is interested I'll post that all up.

YES!  Are you kidding me?!  Which WRC kit did you go with?
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2020, 10:56:48 am »

YES!  Are you kidding me?!  Which WRC kit did you go with?

Yes, please. Love to hear more about what's happened in the last five years.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.