Author Topic: Mark's 1998 WRX STI Type R Build  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Mark's 1998 WRX STI Type R Build
« on: February 05, 2020, 04:59:12 pm »
I've been waiting a long time for this one...

My 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited

Current state

The day I picked her up

A new era begins!

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
Re: Mark's 1998 WRX STI Type R Build
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
Cool. Just a refresh or are you planning to build it?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:25:45 pm »

I was just about to mention you. Markkas, go full Dr. Beans?!?!?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:38:46 am »
Alternatively, car is begging for some 22b flares.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 11:06:31 am »
Oh hell yeah dude, this is going to be awesome. Looking forward to see what you do with this!

Offline gf8wrx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 GC8 Type R V-Limited, 2000 Toyota Aristo Vertex, 1996 GF8 WRX V2
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:14:47 pm »
I'll use this as my motivation to try and make mine even nicer. Congrats on the Type R, looks to be in pretty nice shape! What are your short term and long term goals of it exactly? Any surprises or rust issues you've found now that you own it?

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:37:51 pm »
Thanks guys.

As of right now, a complete refresh is in order before I tackle anything else power/mod-wise.

The car has essentially sat undriven for the last handful of years, and is very much so in the shape you would expect one of these to come in directly from Japan. Very dusty, dirty, ETC reader still installed, headunit not working, ugly tweeters, even a 30-pin ipod connector, and so on.

I'll use this as my motivation to try and make mine even nicer. Congrats on the Type R, looks to be in pretty nice shape! What are your short term and long term goals of it exactly? Any surprises or rust issues you've found now that you own it?

So far, I've discovered an oil leak coming fom the back-ish of the engine. PO said he had a valve cover gasket done recently, but this wouldn't be that. He then proceeded to tell me he had no idea what a valve cover gasket was after I told him this would be a different leak. Whatever, not overly concerned... I stuck an oil pan underneath to catch anything that drips, and will diagnose this further once I get it up on a hoist.

Other than that, the car is surprisingly a LOT cleaner than I had imagined. The Japanese owner(s) have loads of history in stickers and documentation in the car which certainly ease my mind.

Everything is also inact, not too worn, running as it should, and i'm just excited to finally own one of these.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Mark's 1998 WRX STI Type R Build - The Starting Point
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:51 pm »
As I do with any vehicle I plan on keeping for a lengthy period of time, I decided to start this build off by ripping apart the interior, giving it a thorough clean, adding my own personal touches, and then putting it back together.

This is how I took delivery of the car:

Notice how the rain guard is intact in this photo... Yeah, that didn't last long. Surprise surprise  ::)

Anyhow, this is the cockpit of the car:

Very dusty/dirty, awful looking steering wheel, gauge taped onto the dash, top compartment not assembled properly, headunit pushed in/not working, etc.

I immediately began disassembly by taking out all of the seats and taking them inside to shampoo and use a hot water extractor on.

In my first round of automotive archaeology, I found about 6 pack of silica gel, a bunch of receipts, and 30 cents CAD (SCORE). From there I started disassembly of the centre console and dash.

Lovely wiring job:

To the bones:

One of many maintenance stickers + the cars first mod - Kartboy short shifter! Bushings for the shifter in this car seem to have been recently replaced as there is virtually no slop, so I feel like i'll be quite happy with how the shifter moves now.

Here are all of the interior pieces cleaned and ready to either be replaced with others that I have, or go right back in the car:

Next up is swapping parts that I want off of my RA, installing new bulbs in the type R's dash, swapping over my headunit, and then re-assembly.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 08:04:35 pm »
Love it dude

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 10:01:36 am »
Love me a GC. Congrats.

What is going on here?

The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:28:16 am »
Love me a GC. Congrats.

What is going on here?

Just ripping stuff out. Took a photo and decided to post it. Nothing special.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 11:33:42 am »
Just ripping stuff out. Took a photo and decided to post it. Nothing special.

I mean like, what is the brown? Rust stained carpet?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 11:36:26 am »

teh shad0w l0rd of jDM

in all seriousness it looks like a shadow lol.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 11:38:52 am »
Last night was spent semi-gutting the RA, transferring the parts that I wanted over to the Type R, and reassembling the RA with what I took from the Type R. I ended up swapping the entire upper dash, all of my LED bulbs, my EVC system, and my headunit setup.

One of the most noticeable things for me after re-assembly was how much more dated the vehicle looks without LED lighting behind things like the cluster and HVAC unit. It's probably been 3-4 years since i've had stock bulbs back in the car, and it makes the world of a difference. Also going back to a stock setup (without my EVC system) makes the car feel so slow (even though it definitely isn't).

The only photo I took from last night was of me plumbing my EVC system into the type R. Luckily for me, the PO used the same spot to run their boost gauge through the firewall, so it was easy for me to cut that out and just tape what I needed to the current vacuum line before pulling it through the firewall. I left my grommet on the cables and simply pushed it back into the hole to seal it up nicely.

Next up today is finalizing the wiring for my EVC system in the Type R, giving the carpets a good vacuum and shampoo, and then re-installing the dash pieces and seats.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 11:41:24 am »

Can confirm it's just a shadow. I'll take better photos of the carpets before and after shampoo.

On the topic of brown, I did manage to hot water extract a lot of what I assume was spilled coffee from the back seats. The seats themselves looked pretty clean, but on a couple of spots near the sides they just kept on giving brown liquid for a good 4-5 passes.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 12:52:37 pm »
Are you selling your RA

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 01:48:55 pm »
Are you selling your RA

I will be, yes. I leave for Florida on Monday for a week and plan to list it up for sale upon my return. Currently sitting at 103,000 KMs or so iirc. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Mark's 1998 WRX STI Type R Build - All Back Together
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 04:30:10 pm »
A handful of weeks ago, I continued my build by putting the entire interior back together, swapping out my stock steering wheel, and installing my OEM Duracon 5-speed shift knob (OEM Duracon is on the right).

One of the things that was driving me nuts was that the wipers on the car were continuously on (unless the fuse was pulled), and the previous owner drove the car with the fuse pulled for their entire ownership. After doing a bit of disassembly, testing, and research, I eventually narrowed down the issue to a daytime running light module that was poorly installed on the car. It was taking current from the wiper washer pump in order to have DRL's. As soon as I figured this out, I knew the windshield washer pump motor was probably shot and sure enough it was.

Big oof on this one:

After taking the battery and all of this DRL wiring out, I decided to finally swap my battery, my battery tie down, and replace the "power" intake filter back with the stock airbox. When I was at the halfway point with everything removed from the engine bay, I said screw it and decided to replace the spark plugs as well. They weren't the worst i've seen, but it now gives me peace of mind knowing I put new ones in. The used plug seen in the photo below was the worst of the four.

The "power" intake filter (with a bolt missing :sarcasm:):

The cap off of the IC spray reservoir is definitely some metal cap off of an aluminum beer can or something. A replacement cap has been ordered.

My Grimmspeed battery tie down. This thing holds more sentimental value than anything for me. This tie down was the first "mod" I ever did on my first GC8 WRX back in 2012, and has been on every single GC8 I have owned since. Putting this on my Type R was me sort of acknowledging that I finally have a Type R and that this car is now mine. Feelsgoodman.

A shot of the engine bay after I cleaned it up a bit and re-installed everything:

From there, I focused more on the exterior pieces I wanted to swap from my RA before I sold it. The first was a quick change of the hood scoop!

The second, and much much longer swap was my Version 6 STI wing. Getting the trunks off the cars was very straightforward, but unfortunately the version 5 wing on the Type R was essentially stuck on the trunk. The bolts holding it onto the trunk were spinning between the actual wing and the trunk and the only way to get the nuts off the ends of them were to cut them with a dremel. Thankfully after a bit of patience and some steady hands, I was able to get the wing separated and I only had to cut 3 bolts to do so.

The trunk was actually in pretty good shape considering the age and mileage of the vehicle. No rust, just a few exposed spots to the base black paint. A cleaning up of the exposed spots and touching them up with some clear will do the trick until I eventually have the entire vehicle repainted.

And here it is on the Type R:

Following this, I posted my RA up for sale and within 22 hours I had it sold. Over the 2.5 years I owned it, including my cost of ownership/maintenance, I ended up making about 30% on the sale. I know GC8's have appreciated in value recently, but for it to have appreciated that much was pretty shocking to me.

Next up for the Type R is a once over at First Gear, and a few little tweaks here and there before it becomes my daily driver. Stay tuned.

Offline gf8wrx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 GC8 Type R V-Limited, 2000 Toyota Aristo Vertex, 1996 GF8 WRX V2
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 10:09:57 am »
stellar job on the problem solving! I really like that wing you put on from the Type RA.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 04:03:44 pm »
Can anyone running a GC8 with a DCCD tell me what they usually run the car on? Full lock? 35/65? Just trying to feel out what would be the best for daily driving.

Also, I feel some clunky-ness a low speeds (under 5km/hr) with the DCCD at full lock. I feel like this is normal with a locking diff, but if someone can confirm, that would be fantastic :)

Offline SingallZ

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Meh...
  • Ride: 72 Beetle and 1995-993-911-C4
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 04:46:13 pm »
Oh man this thread makes me miss my old Type R.

I never used the dccd on dry pavement conditions (it’s like putting a Jeep in locked 4X4 mode) it’ll cause wheel hop and bind at low speed. I only used dccd dialled into half on dirt and full on ice.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 05:11:16 pm »
Oh man this thread makes me miss my old Type R.

I never used the dccd on dry pavement conditions (it’s like putting a Jeep in locked 4X4 mode) it’ll cause wheel hop and bind at low speed. I only used dccd dialled into half on dirt and full on ice.

The wheel hop and bind is exactly what I was experiencing at low speed. Thank you for mentioning this!

This might be a stupid question, but if you never used it on dry pavement conditions, where did you leave it set most of the time? Is there an "off" or "Auto" switch? All the way to the bottom?

It looks like one of my lights are out on the actual DCCD display, so I can see my mode at lock (top setting), each of the four arrows, and then the bottom is just not lit when I am in that setting.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 08:36:03 am »
I miss DCCD conversations, when people though you could direct torque with it. On pavement, you want whatever the opposite of full lock is, which I think would be the 35/65 setting.

You're just setting how much slip the center diff can have between front/rear, and the grippier the surface, the more slip you want, especially when cornering.

I'd only play with full lock in the snow/ice.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 09:59:02 am »
I miss DCCD conversations, when people though you could direct torque with it. On pavement, you want whatever the opposite of full lock is, which I think would be the 35/65 setting.

You're just setting how much slip the center diff can have between front/rear, and the grippier the surface, the more slip you want, especially when cornering.

I'd only play with full lock in the snow/ice.

That's what I've been primarily keeping it at, so thanks for the info!

Definitely feels different than my other GC's, but in a good way. I can throw the car around a bit, which is super nice.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 04:32:15 pm »

This****

This thread is making me feel the way my GTR does every time I wrench on it. (if anyone cares I guess I could post about its adventures thus far.)

**mostly posting to subscribe**
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram