Author Topic: How To: Silicone Turbo Inlet Install ('08+ specific, but applies to all MY's)  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
This guide is for a Gimmick turbo inlet that I installed yesterday in preparation for my Dom III turbo.

Step 1: Pop hood, remove TMIC, remove BOV, remove TB.
- disconnect BOV return line from BOV

Step 2: Remove OEM inlet elbow. Using an 8mm socket, loosen the hose clamps securing the elbow, remove it, then place it aside until the end.

Step 3: Remove 3 vacuum lines at front of inlet. Note the orientation of these hoses as they will be installed the same way onto the new inlet. Also remove hex bolt shown in picture.

Step 4: Remove BOV return line from inlet. Use a pair of small vice grips of needle nose pliers and disengage the hose clamp. Slide the BOV return line off and put it aside until later.

Step 5: Disconnect white check valve from inlet and unplug grey wiring harness from the valve.

Step 6: Loosen hose clamp securing the inlet to the turbo.

Step 7: Cut BOV return line connector off inlet, and cut the 3rd inlet port on the inlet. Unless you pulled off your manifold, you won't be able to remove your OEM inlet and keep in intact at the same time.

Step 8: Remove OEM inlet. This will take a little bit of work. A little wiggling and jimmying but it'll come eventually.

Step 9: Going back to the white check valve, remove the single use hose clamp securing it by using a flat head screwdriver to pop it up. Once it's off, remove the white valve and discard the old clamp. Plus the check valve back into the grey connector and place aside until the end. A lot of instructions say to pull the pin from the check valve with a pair of needle nose pliars and insert them into the grey connector. I think it's smarter to simply remove the entire check valve and plug the whole thing into the grey connector.

Step 10: Prepare the new inlet by removing all T's, connectors, clamps etc.

Step 11: Insert the new inlet. I suggest putting a little lube on the outside of the inlet to make things go easier. A little WD40, vaseline, whatever... it'll make life easier. This is probably the hardest part of the whole thing so take your time with the wiggling and manoeuvring to get the inlet into place.

Step 12: Once it's in place, reconnect the lines as it came stock.

Step 13: The hose that was originally connected to the white check valve goes into the last port on the inlet before hitting the turbo. At this point, you can take a couple zip ties and secure all the lines to their connectors.

Step 14: Clamp down inlet to turbo inlet using OEM worm clamp.

Step 15: Reconnect OEM elbow to the inlet (getting the metal ring onto the OEM elbow is a itchbay BTW, but again, a little patience and some WD-40 and it shouldn't be too difficult).

Step 16: Reinstall everything in reverse order... BOV return line onto inlet and BOV, TMIC, and BOV onto the TMIC. Reinstall breather hoses back onto the lines attached to the TMIC.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Awesome write up, but I've never understood the reason for upgrading the inlet? Would this be something that would be a good upgrade for anyone, or only someone with a bigger turbo? I love the asthetics of it as well.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
It's not worth it on a stock turbo setup. The stock inlet is turbulent and will collapse under high boost. The only time it matters, IMO, is when you do a big turbo upgrade. When you see the stock inlet off the car, it's truly a POS.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
Thanks for the write up.
Looks like the new inlet has a longer section before the main elbow.  From the pics, the "accordion" section of the stock piping from the airbox is really kinked, making the bends almost 90 deg.  How far does the metal tube extend into the Gimmick inlet?  I wonder if there is enough to cut 0.5" off...

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
^I think there's plenty of room. The metal insert is fairly long so I'm sure I could un-kink that elbow. I'm not too concerned since the new intake is eliminating that step of the pre-turbo air flow but I do think it could fit better with a little tweaking.

Offline Aaron.M

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '04 DOMIII STI
I'm installing an inlet hose this weekend and had a question. In step 13, it sounds like you leave that white fitting in the picture exposed with no hose runing to it anymore. Am I reading that correctly?