Author Topic: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR  (Read 2406 times)

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
1995 Nissan Skyline GTR
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:25:04 am »
This all started at the beginning of October with a phone call. I was at work late when I got a call that someone was selling a Nissan Skyline and wanted to know if I knew anyone that may be interested. The seller wasn't looking to list it and was hoping for a quick sale. I've always been passively looking for a Skyline however the time was never right, and then the prices for even a GTST had gone way past what I was willing to spend. I told them I was on my way. Also I was in no position to buy a car that day also I can't afford another project, also my home garage is full. This call couldn't have come at a worse time.

This is what I was greeted with when I arrived at this random house in Leduc. A very dusty, gas doorless, dead battery 95 GTR, I was never expecting to find this. After talking to the owner about the vehicle for a few minutes the story was, he imported the car 5 years ago, drove it from Vancouver to Leduc, never got it inspected and then never drove it again. it was started once a spring to back it out of the garage to clean up and never left a single puddle. I was told the number he was looking to get for the car and without jumping up and down with excitement I held it in a tried to be as constructive as possible. telling myself, this has sat for 5 years, probably way more, it may need brakes, an engine, it may need more. However I'm standing in front of Godzilla and if I play my cards right, it could be my Godzilla. 

I told the owner that I wanted to start it, put my boost pack on, it was loud and complainy and took a couple of tries but as soon as it caught it came to life and my eyes watered over. The next day I asked if I could take it for a drive. I drove it to my shop and rinced it off. I started making a list, it has no power (old gas? no compression?) brakes don't work at all, its shaking pretty hard. I'm adding up all the hypothetical costs in my head. the body is wonderful, small dent behind the driver door and a scratch on the passager side rear fender. I had a number in mind that could protect me if anything decided to break.

Lots of shrewd negotiating, knowing the risks, and selling off some toys late, I brought the car back to my shop for the second time

The next day the car is in the air, lets see how many problems can be fixed really quick, wheels/tires sent off for balancing and to see if were dealing with flat spots or bent wheels, Bought every fluid and filter for the car.

The first list was made.
Mechanical
Change or charge battery
Change oil (15208-H8911) (5w50) 4.5L
Change oil drain plug
Change fuel filter  (16400-72L05)
Change transmission fluid(75W90) 4.1L
Change diff fluid front (80W90) 1L
Change diff fluid rear  (80W90) 1.5L
Change coolant (9L)
Change steering fluid (premium ATF)
Replace or rebuild power steering Pump
Change brake fluid (Dot 3)
Change transfer case fluid
Change clutch fluid
Test injector performance
Change spark plugs (NGK BCPR7EIX-11 5691) gap (1.1mm) (0.044”)
Change coil pack harnesses (wire specialties)
Change coil packs (splitfire SF-dis-001)
Change intake filter K&N 33-2031-2
Change brake rotors (Project Mu)
Change brake pads (Project Mu)
Add stainless steel brake lines (project Mu)
Upgrade brake fluid to dot 5.1

Interior
Change cabin air filter
Change radio, make it sound better
Make alarm work, or install new one
Remove ETC stuff
Replace rear side window tint
Add front window tint after OOPI
Fully clean interior
Replace driver side door switch panel

Exterior
Full exterior wash
Claybar paint
Remove and wash each wheel/well
Polish exterior.
Polish headlights.
Buy summer wheels
Buy summer tires
Replace wipers
Replace wiper arms
Remove rear plate piece
Remove front plate bracket
Build license plate mount
Install DRL harness
Replace any lights
Wheel alignment
Balance tires
Find hubcentric for winter wheels and tires
Out of province inspection
Buy GTR 2NV plate
Register and insure.

Some Extra pictures

The first actual wash
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
Re: I have a Nissan? Mom said she didn't know Subaru's came in 2 doors.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 10:25:18 am »
Maintenance day was pretty crazy. The car has 138,000km, seems to be original km and it doesn't look like this engine or tranny have ever been removed from each other.

I start dumping fluids, this car has a fluid for everything, oh snap all the fluids look good and all the drain nuts look good too. I was at the shop for around 8 hours and the biggest hiccup was the massive JDM oil filter, it was a nightmare to remove, like a 1.5 hour nightmare because no tool I had could fit over it and spin, the car now has NA standard sized filter so it will be easy in 5000km for the next one, Fuel filter, and every fluid was completed but draining and bleeding the brakes was not going to well, it took 3 laps around the car and 3 bottles of Dot 3 fluid to get them good enough, pedal feel isn't great and I have to press pretty hard to stop quickly, the brembo calipers look good, it looks like it still has oem rotors, and has what looks like brand new EBC reds for pads. I'm now saving up for rotors, pads and possibly caliper.

I finally had new gas in the vehicle and went for my first "power pull" car feels great, until 3000rpm when my boost gauge falls on its face and the car struggles to build power and boost, started reading, and popped off the ignition panel and noticed stock GTR coils, I decided it was time, to do coils, plugs and harness, (hindsight the harness was the problem) :p

This was a pretty easy job, lets take it for a test drive......

back it out of the garage.

Big assay puddle, well that wasn't there when I last started it.

hello fluid.
taste test.
steering fluid.
didn't actually taste it.

This doesn't look fun.
Power steering pump is pissing fluid out of the front of it. not going for a test drive tonight.

next day at work I'm on every parts distributor for Nissan parts, oddly enough a local Nissan dealership is the cheapest source for a new steering pump, .....$700.00 with no eta. found a used one in russia for $300.00USD. things arent looking good until I found the coolest website ever.

https://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/bcnr33/3934-rb26dett/

OEM Parts catalog.

using Nengun, a Japanese parts distributor the same one I got the coil packs from I ordered every individual part you see on this page, apparently the housing doesn't exist anymore from nissan so they only sell the internal parts.

This catalog and order got out of control, I ordered so many internal trim pieces while I was at it and 3 weeks later everything arrived. I rebuilt the pump at work and installed it at the beginning of December. This car came with winter tires and I am finally going to get to drive it.

SHE PULLS.

FULL BOOST

FULL CHU CHI SPUUUSHH GTR DIVERTER VALVE NOISES

still shakes a bit at highways speeds, but this feels just like the R33 GTR I rented in japan last May. I am so happy.

https://i.imgur.com/ONsKBxYl.jpg

780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 10:25:28 am »
Here are some garage pictures over the winter, including pulling everything out for early garage clean up.

Bored winterness leads to me looking for wheels

Seeing this picture was a mistake.

Test fitting

18x9.5 +15 looks like I'm rolling my rear fenders but the fitment is way better than my VolK CV-pros 18x9.5 +25. I bought some 265/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, now I just need to buy these wheels now that I know they fit.

Unrelated but my old Sti came by to visit a business next door, in similarish condition to when I owned it, its been two years since I've seen it. Checked the Vin and it was definitely mine, I was going to update the mileage on my vinwiki page but I was busy when the now owner was pulling out.

780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 10:25:41 am »
reserve
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:31:08 am »
Congrats on the purchase she is beautiful.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 10:47:03 am »
Dude, awesome! Big congrats. Looks like this will be a very fun project!! Looking forward to following along.

If I didn't have my bike I think my next 'toy' / project would be another JDM RHD import.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:01:24 am »
Oh dear. What a whirlwind, but what a terrific purchase - congrats! I've always loved the Skyline, really looking forward to following the build and updates of this one.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:39:17 am »
I always see everyone upgrade coilpacks to those or the R35 ones. Do the stock R32-34 suck that bad?

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:40:56 am »
Dude, awesome! Big congrats. Looks like this will be a very fun project!! Looking forward to following along.

If I didn't have my bike I think my next 'toy' / project would be another JDM RHD import.
Oh dear. What a whirlwind, but what a terrific purchase - congrats! I've always loved the Skyline, really looking forward to following the build and updates of this one.
Congrats on the purchase she is beautiful.

Thank you, This is so exciting for me even 5 months later.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:17 am »
I always see everyone upgrade coilpacks to those or the R35 ones. Do the stock R32-34 suck that bad?

I read that afterwards but there would have been more work and tuning involved I have to scrap the external igniter to go to R35 plugs.

My plugs are actually perfectly good they don't have the normal internal arching points that are normal to RB26 stock coils.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:49 am »

I think its just the age tbh. 1JZ/2JZ coils have the same problems with wiring and or requiring new/upgraded coils.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 12:03:53 pm »
Wow, that cleaned up nicely!

Congrats, excited to see more!

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 12:06:02 pm »
Immediate plans:

Summer wheels, Enkei RPF1 in silver.

Radio, and speakers, I found a climate relocation kit above the shifter so I can do a double din however its severely back ordered in Japan so it could be the summer until that happens so I may do something creative or just do a single din for now. I think depth is an issue in this car for speakers and because of the trunk firewall for the rear mounted battery Im just to do some shallow focal coaxial speakers with a tiny little amp above or behind the glovebox. No sub going in this car. rear deck lid was replaced by previous owner and big ugly alpine type S 6x9 are currently installed back there, I haven't looked at the front speakers yet but I'm sure they're just basic as well. 

Nismo Short and solid shifter to be done soon as well, ill change the shft knob, and boot, and ebrake boot at the same time

DRL still needs to be wired up.

Ordered my licence plate last week it should arrive late this week or next, just in time for my out of country inspection to be completed.

Everything should be ready to go for April ** I hope.

too much to do, not enough time, not enough money.

Summer plans currently is to drive this car to California and back, if I can find the time. worst case a Vancouver trip would be nice.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:38 pm »
I like your references to VINWiki and shrewd negotiation. R33 is best imo.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline gf8wrx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1998 GC8 Type R V-Limited, 2000 Toyota Aristo Vertex, 1996 GF8 WRX V2
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 12:53:27 pm »
a R33 GTR twas the car I dreamed of until I bought a subaru and it crushed all abilities to save money.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58:04 pm »
I mean, I'm excited to see what you do with it, and it will make insane power I'm sure, but the R33 has always been the most boring of Skylines to me. I'd take an R32/R34 any day over it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:27 pm »
R33>R32>R34 in terms of looks and nostalgia, performance aside.

I love it, I can't wait to see what you do with it. Would you consider an underseat sub if you need more wubwub?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 01:14:00 pm »
I mean, I'm excited to see what you do with it, and it will make insane power I'm sure, but the R33 has always been the most boring of Skylines to me. I'd take an R32/R34 any day over it.

Being 6'6 I don't really fit comfy in the R32, oddly enough I fit better in my Integra. I fit perfect in this R33.

I love the exterior look of all R32/33/34 they all have their own uniqueness to them.

I would have to say for me it is R34>R33>R32 however not being able to afford/justify any of them really limits my ability to say I would buy any over another.

I can only say that YOUTUBE INSTAGRAM HOOVIES GARAGE TAVARISH CLICK BATE BLAH BLAH BLAH REEGAE HORN, I transacted the cheapest clean r33 GTR on earth for the last 5-10 years.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 01:22:13 pm »
R33>R32>R34 in terms of looks and nostalgia, performance aside.

I love it, I can't wait to see what you do with it. Would you consider an underseat sub if you need more wubwub?

I don't know of a single underseat subwoofer that I wouldn't consider garbage. If I have the door depth I'll put in a pretty low playing front coaxial and cup it to the door panel to give me better mid/sub bass than any underseat subwoofer could hope to replicate.

I'll do an indepth write up when It comes to my audio portion as it is what I do best. I will also give my reasoning behind my decisions as well. Outside of the radio I would love to keep the interior looking as oem as possible. It's too late for the rear deck lid but ill put some nice grills on the rear speakers when I decide whats going in there.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline vincent275

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 03 Lexus LS430, 17 Porsche Boxster S
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 01:25:46 pm »
subscribed, excited to see the revival

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 05:15:24 pm »
Just as I suspected, this is awesome. Dream find
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 12:57:48 pm »
Very nice car! Congrats on the purchase!

I know the R33 GTr came with the same steering wheel as a regular R33. That is the same steering wheel you would find in a lot of nissan vehicles from that era! So period correct, and so cool!  8)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 02:17:21 pm »
Oh shoot, I just assumed you meant R35 when you said you had a GTR.  This was a pleasant surprise!

If I had to rank which GTR was better, I'd say

R3x > no GTR. 

uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 01:30:06 pm »
For me it's always been R34>R33>R32.

Love this story! Cleaned up nice too, always wanted one of these but then as you said, prices jumped more than I was willing to pay.

That said, Talon and GSR for sale? Didn't think I saw those in the FS section. Links?

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 09:12:57 am »
For me it's always been R34>R33>R32.

Love this story! Cleaned up nice too, always wanted one of these but then as you said, prices jumped more than I was willing to pay.

That said, Talon and GSR for sale? Didn't think I saw those in the FS section. Links?

The Integra isn't currently listed, its complicated at the moment. Its getting a salvage inspection / rebuild title, however I rebuilt it with a JDM front end instead of a USDM front end and the headlights/bumper rebar are not passing so I need to come up with a plan on how I will deal with this. I rebuilt the car back in 2013 and didn't bother getting the inspection done until I decided to sell it. I probably should have done more research before rebuilding it, but I did have the JDM front end before the accident happened so It made the most sense in my head. I either sell it as a "race car" for cheap, or I put a USDM front end on it, which includes welding a new rad support on it. Either option isn't ideal.

The Talon is listed on Kijiji and Facebook https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1997-eagle-talon-tsi-awd-big-power-build/1492701204
I'm trying to free up space in my garage because there is another car I'm looking at.
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta