Author Topic: Jukka's old DD....Archy - 98 GS300  (Read 494 times)

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
Jukka's old DD....Archy - 98 GS300
« on: May 08, 2020, 04:10:27 pm »
Well, Coral is gone, and I decided I needed to get into a nicer/better DD than the Element. The Element is super useful, but its such a boring assay car to drive. It's slow, gets meh fuel economy, is fair loud inside on the highway, I needed something better, more...luxurious.

Back in the winter, I drove my buddy's B7 A4 for a week and loved the cushy leather seats, heated seats, quiet interior and most of all, surprisingly, the automatic transmission. (I've been driving only stick cars since I was 17, and I'm 32 now..lol). What I didn't like was the German price tag on repairs and parts, and the unreliability of the car.

So I started hunting around for alternatives that would be suitable for a nice daily driver, big enough for the family, but with all those creature comforts available, but not the expensive euro repair bills.

A couple of phone calls between some of my buddies came up with the perfect option...I present...Archy!

One of my co-workers decided to sell the car to me to fund his new fun car build. Archy is a 1998 Lexus GS300. He's got 260xxx km on it, but it's running a VVTi 2JZGE, and has had a TON of work put into it recently with all original Toyota parts. The car is essentially stock with some minor exceptions (JIC Magic Coilovers, Adjustable rear camber arms, LED tail lamps, LED interior lights, replica TTE (Toyota Team Europe) front lip, small trunk spoiler and rear window spoiler, TOM'S front strut brace, Cusco rear strut brace, and the 18x9.5 CR Kai replica wheels).

I got it for a really good price and my buddy who owned it before bought it off the 2nd owner who owned it for 19 years, never winter drove it, and kept a 5" thick package of all services done at Lexus. 

Archy is also a time capsule. When I brought him home, I decided to poke around a bit to check out the car a bit more indepth. In the trunk, I found a treasure trove of new items from 1998. A brand new Lexus medical kit, factory tool kit with all the wrenches, 2 spare 6 CD changer cartridges, brand new labels for the cartridges, the factory child seat tether bolt, and the factory spare wheel and tires...ALL brand new. And when I say "brand new", I mean, BRAND NEW. The spare tire has never been mounted, no marks on the lug nut holes. The tire still has the original nubs on the tread from 1998. Not a single mark on the tools, the CD changer cartridges and the seatbelt anchor were all in their original packaging. Just nuts.

Archy does have some minor issues that need addressing. Some minor paint issues due to his age and being as low as it is. There are some other minor mechanical issues too like the tilt/telescoping wheel doesn't move, and the parking brake won't set, but they are all easily fixed.

I'll be posting up more about him as I get a chance to work on him and as I have time too. lots more to come!

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
Re: Jukka's new DD....Archy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »
Fun and relevant fact: the first generation Lexus GS/Toyota Aristo was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro. He also designed the Subaru SVX.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 04:39:23 pm »
Fun and relevant fact: the first generation Lexus GS/Toyota Aristo was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro. He also designed the Subaru SVX.

That wasn't fun.

Congrats on new purchase! Should look for some JDM versions they can sell cheap and have some good bits!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 04:42:45 pm »
That wasn't fun.

It will be when SSS shows up with an even less relevant and more obscure factoid!
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:14:09 am »
Excellent, I love me a straight 6!!

Are you still keeping the element for utilitarian stuffs?

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:06:46 pm »
Excellent, I love me a straight 6!!

Are you still keeping the element for utilitarian stuffs?

Nope, plan is to sell off the Element and the Kia. Me use this as a DD for while, then take the combined $ from the Element and the Kia to buy a bigger family-mobile for Sarah to drive.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:43:26 am »
Nice!! Congrats on the new acquisition! Super cool about all the finds within, too.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:22:41 pm »
It will be when SSS shows up with an even less relevant and more obscure factoid!

Fun fact: the GS300 is a pretty dope car.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »
Fun fact: the GS300 is a pretty dope car.

That is a fun fact. I've been slacking with uploads, I really need to find a good photo hosting site again.

Been just slowly picking away at the car since I picked it up. Fixed the power telescoping steering wheel (motors were unplugged for some reason) and cleaned the motors up to get them working again. I changed out pretty much every single bulb in the interior of the car (and theres a lot) with LED's. Cleaned up and painted my front strut bar and added a "TOM'S" sticker on it. Peeled the front lip off the car to re-paint it this weekend. Still need to peel the trunk lid spoiler off too.

Lots of little work here and there.

I think I've settled on what wheels I want to get for it too. a lot of guys with these cars do the VIP thing, which is cool, but not my style. I want to go with more of a luxury cruiser with a sporty vibe to it. One of my personal favorite wheels have always been the Enkei NT03(+M). I took a quick look into them and they make a fitment that would be 3mm less aggressive in the front than the current set up without spacers, and 4mm less aggressive in the rear with an 11mm spacer, which I happen to have at work. So I think I'm going to go that route. My rep at Enkei also owes me a favor so he's going to be getting me a hell of a deal on them as well. I'll be getting a set of 18x9.5 +27's front and rear and then the 11mm project kics spacers in the back.

Just gotta wait to sell the Toaster and I can start driving it and really get to work with it.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 08:07:07 am »
Guess I never did post decent photos of the car here. Still have it, trying to sell it currently.

Honestly, this was one of my favorite cars to own for how smooth it is. The 2JZGE is so silky smooth you barely even notice the car is on, the ride is actually really comfy even being as low as it is (until you scrap or bottom out, then not so much), and had a ton of room in it for everyone.

I never ended up doing any other mods to the car in the time I owned it. I was looking at throwing a set of the same SBC NT03+M's I put onto the WRX onto it, but would've been too much work (would've needed a 15mm spacer up front, plus shaved OEM studs). But still did a very dry fit next to the car for visuals. I still think they look amazing on the car.

Only thing I did change for a short period is I put in a Tomei delrin shiftknob for a month or two before I got the WRX. Had to buy an M8-M12 adapter to get it to work, but looked good and was a nice change from the leather and wood knob.

But now she's just parked at my work with a forsale sign in the window.

I'd love to buy another one or an Aristo later on when I have the space and time and money to work on cars again. Would love to have a nice big comfy sedan with a couple extra ponies under the hood and turbo noise.