Author Topic: How To: Remove TBE, all MY specific  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
How To: Remove TBE, all MY specific
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:47:53 am »
This is a guide to removing your TBE. This will apply to all MY's and to different brands of exhausts as well.

1) Remove intercooler
- Remove 2 x 12mm bolts on each side of IC
- Remove 2 x 12mm bolts for BOV
- Loosen hose clamps securing TMIC - two on TB, one on turbo outlet

2) Remove turbo heatshield
- There are 5 x 10mm bolts securing the heatshield to the turbo heatshield brackets

3) Spray DP bolts with penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Let bolts soak while you work on loosening up the DP-MP connection, bracket, and O2 sensor

4) Remove Downpipe to Midpipe spring-bolts
- Use a 14mm socket on the bolt and a 12mm wrench on the nut (weird, I know.)
- You may or may not need any penetrating oil on this connection. I didn't.

5) Remove bolt securing DP to chassis bracket.
- Use a 12mm socket on this bracket bolt. Later once the DP bolts are off, you'll need to wiggle the DP a bit to break it free from the bracket.

- bolt is on other side of metal bracket

6) Remove O2 sensor.
- Use either a 22mm wrench or an O2 sensor specific socket. You may need to unbolt the heatshield using a 12mm socket to gain easier access to the O2 sensor.

7) Remove DP bolts and nuts
- There are 2 bolts and 3 nuts securing the DP to the turbo.
- Use a 14mm socket and a long ratchet or breaker bar.
- Use only a 6-pointed socket and make sure it's seated all the way on the nut or bolt otherwise you might strip the bolt.

8) Remove DP

9) Remove Midpipe and CBE
- I chose not to unbolt my MP from CB simply because I didn't see the point.
- There are 4 exhaust hangers suspending the CB and 1 suspending the MP.
- Push the CB off the 4 rear exhaust hangers by sitting behind the car and pushing towards the front on the muffler.
- Push the MP off the last hanger however you can. This one was a bit of a itchbay to get off.

- see 5 hangers

You're done :)

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: How To: Remove TBE, all MY specific
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:07:28 pm »
nice write up sleeper. It is a perfect time for it as I will be doing a dp install on my06 here in the next few weeks. I can never seem to be able to get the TMIC off thought. Doesn't matter whatr I try. All bolts out and all clamps loosened off and hoses loose and it still will not come off. Any tips or tricks?

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline rockcrete

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:09:55 pm »
You don't need to touch the intercooler on the GC chassis cars (at least those with the small slanty one anyway).  You just need to unbolt the heatshield/snorkel assembly that seems to have far more hidden bolts on it than you would expect.

You forgot the part about the cutting torch for the couple of stuck nuts that you invariably round off on the turbo outlet too :D

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »
^Lol, my car isn't that old yet so no seized nuts. And I bathe everything in PB Blaster before putting a wrench on just to be sure. And you're right, I should have mentioned GD's and GR's.

nice write up sleeper. It is a perfect time for it as I will be doing a dp install on my06 here in the next few weeks. I can never seem to be able to get the TMIC off thought. Doesn't matter whatr I try. All bolts out and all clamps loosened off and hoses loose and it still will not come off. Any tips or tricks?
Once everything is loose, the easiest way is to stand from the front and twist the IC toward the rear and up to the right. That'll release it from the turbo's compressor and release it from the TB.

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:56 am »
This is fantastic, i have an 08 wrx and we are doing the downpipe and exhaust today. Snackers is doing CBE today too.