Author Topic: Zaider's V7 RSTI Project - COMPLETE  (Read 262369 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Zaider's V7 RSTI Project - COMPLETE
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:19:44 am »

I’ve been spending enough money and time on my car that I feel that its started to become an actual project, so here is my write-up about what I’ve done.

History

So, the way this project started off was that I bought my car when I first moved to Calgary from Vancouver in July 2007. I had no intentions of modifying my car (like everyone on here) and was just looking for a good daily driver with AWD to get me through the winters. I picked it up from a lady who had only really used it for work and had it detailed a few times a year so it would impress clients. It had about 75k on it and the only modification was that it had graduated (silver to black) tint on 3 windows and the rear one (driver’s side just had clear UV film on it).

First Mods

The very first thing I did was to upgrade the stereo to a Pioneer DEH590IB (Ipod in the GC) and Phoenix Gold speakers all the way around. The stock stereo was in terrible shape and a couple of the speakers were blown.

Just before my first winter, I bought an Apexi N1 Cat-Back Exhaust (in my eyes, my first official mod) from Silent and brought it down from Edmonton. A couple days later, Wingless and I installed it. I loved the sound and it definitely upped the HP readings on the butt-dyno. It was loud and abrasive.

I also upgraded my sound system at this point, with the addition of an MTX 4002 amp screwed into the back of the rear seat and a 12” MTX sub in a custom sealed enclosure built into the right rear corner of my trunk to save space.

For my winter tires, I got a set of black 15” steelies and Nexen Eurowin 600 rubber. I was short on funds so I couldn’t afford real rims. I settled into my first real winter (having grown up in Victoria/Vancouver) and just enjoyed my car.

Further Mods

Summer 2008 came, and I decided it was time for me to get my car looking a bit nicer. I picked up a used set of gold Rota G-Force (17x8) with Advan Neova AD07 tires on them. The tires had about a season left on them.

I also picked up a Group A short-shifter and bushings at the same time that I picked up a set of Hella Supertones that I have mounted but have not yet wired up. It was around this time that I partially debadged the trunk, removing the Impreza and 2.5RS badges, leaving just the SUBARU letters.

Another engine modification was added in the form of an Injen Cold Air Intake. This changed the tone of my car a lot and I really like hearing the air get sucked up during WOT. I think that it added a bit of power as well, but without dyno testing, I cannot be sure. It definitely seems to rev up quicker than before.

Next, I picked up an LED kit, replacing the dome light, reverse lights and the license plate lights with white LED’s. I am a big fan of both the dome and the license plate lights but I don’t think the LED reverse lights actually improved anything.

I brought it in to Mynt Detail and (via Shadow Tinting) got the graduated tint removed and had 35% tint put on to all 5 windows.

It was at this time that I got tired of not having a double-DIN screen and a good deal came along so I upgraded to the AVIC D3 with NAV and Bluetooth handsfree.

My final modification for last summer was to paint my center console trim a flat black. It turned out quite well I think and definitely changes the look of the interior.

Over this past winter, I got really tired of the droning of my Apexi N1 exhaust and jumped on the chance to switch it with an STI exhaust that had been previously modified to fit an NA car. Big thanks to DirtySOHC for all the cutting/welding/fabbing work as we installed my new exhaust. The sound of the STI CBE is a lot nicer in my opinion than the sound of the Apexi. A lot more civilized, but can still bark a bit to keep me happy at wide open throttle.

I also found the Koji headlight modification and completed that in January. I think it turned out really well. That is covered in another thread, which can be found here:
http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=5722.0

The last major purchase that I made was to get a set of 17” OZ Superleggeras in black, wrapped with RE01R’s and I also picked up a set of Michelin X-Ices for my Rotas. I now use my gold Rotas for winter wheels and the OZ’s will be my summer wheels.

I have also now installed a set of WRX Sideskirts. I need to use some sealant on the driver's side as it is a bit loose because i only used the bottom mounts. I did not want to drill into my car.

Recently, a few smaller purchases have been made in the form of a JDM Hazard Button, STI Key, and a Fumoto Quick Drain Valve.

In July 2009, I got my front bumper and sideskirts painted by Mungo. He did a good job and its nice to not have as many rock chips on the car. I also installed the OEM front lip that I bought off Nasioc.

August 2009: Installed Tokico D-Spec struts and Tanabe GF210 springs. Also upgraded my rear swaybar to the 20mm one off an 02 WRX.

September 2009: Bought and installed a V8 JDM STI Cluster off Nasioc, installed the JDM STI Side Marker Deletes.

October 2009: Installed a custom Rad Shroud made by WRX_RA, Changed HVAC Colour to Red with LED's, Installed EBAY ABS grill (logo deleted, black mesh)

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
Re: Zaider's 2.5RS Project
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:20:00 am »

October 20, 2009: SWAP TIME

Well. The day that I have been looking forward to for at least the last 1.5 years has finally arrived. I am going to be swapping an STI motor/trans into my bugeye.

Before anyone jumps all over this and tells me that it isn't worth it to do a swap, that I should just sell it and upgrade to something, my response is: I know. I know that what Im doing isn't financially responsible, but here's the thing: I dont care. I love my bugeye and am really excited to see a bugeye STI, so with that out of the way, lets get on with it.

On the way is a complete front clip:
V7 JDM STI Motor with 6spd transmission
Turbo, TMIC, UP, TBE etc
Axels, Hubs, Driveshaft, Rear Diff
Brembos
ECU and complete uncut wiring harnesses
Turbo Cross Member
JDM STI HID Headlights with Levelling Switch
Hood with JDM STI Scoop and Splitter
All the little extras like ABS controller, brake booster, etc

I will be doing the swap myself in my coworker's garage. The wiring will be sent to IWire (vendor on RS25.com) for a complete merge, professionally done. I wasn't crazy about the wiring, and this makes is plug and play.

Other parts:
Perrin 3" DP
Maddad Whisper-back 3" Cat-back Exhaust
Maddad Gauges: Oil Pressure, Exhaust Temp, Boost

Questions, comments, suggestions are welcome. I will try as much as possible, to photo-document everything. Im hoping to start within two weeks. As this is my daily driver, I will be buying a very cheap pickup truck so that I can haul parts.

Thanks for your interest.

- Z

Current Modifications

Power
V7 (2001) JDM STI Motor (2.0L Turbo)
Perrin Divorced Downpipe
Maddad Whisperback 3" Cat-back Exhaust

Suspension and Drivetrain
V7 (2001) JDM STI 6 speed Transmission
V7 (2001) JDM STI R180 Rear Diff
V7 (2001) JDM STI Brembo Brakes
No-name Strut Tower Bar (Front)
V7 (2001) JDM STI Rear Sway Bar
Tokico D-Spec Struts paired with Tanabe GF210 Springs

Exterior
V7 (2001) JDM STI HID Headlights
Advan RCII (18x8.5 + 45) w/ Bridgestone RE760 Sport (245/35/18) – Summer Wheels
Gold Rota G-Force (17x8) w/ Michelin X-Ice (225/45/17) – Winter Wheels
04/05 Tail Lights
Hella Supertone - Painted Black
JDM Power Steering Cooler
35% Tint on back 3 windows
Partially Debadged Trunk
Rally Armour UR Black Mud Flaps
LED Reverse and License Plate Lights
WRX Sideskirts
JDM Vent Visor Kit (Window Rain Visors)
OEM Front Lip
Custom Made Rad Shroud (from WRX_RA)
JDM STI Side Marker Deletes
EBAY ABS Front Grill

Interior / Sound
Maddad Gauges in Clock Gauge Pod - Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure
Black-painted center console
JDM Hazard Switch
LED Dome Light
AVIC D3 w/ Ipod in Glove Compartment and Bluetooth Handsfree
Phoenix Gold Speakers
MTX 2 Channel Amp for Sub
MTX 4 Channel Amp for Speakers
JDM V8 STI Cluster
HVAC Colour Change to Red

Misc
STI Key

Parts On Their Way/Waiting to Install

Future Plans

Power and Drivetrain
    See Above

Suspension
    The major suspension components have been upgraded. Struts, Springs and Swaybar. I am planning on upgrading my endlinks when I get around to buying them. I'm not sure what else I want to do in this area. Smaller things like bushings etc.

Brakes
    See above

Exterior
    I am looking into the OEM Rear Lip kit. Not sure if i like it yet though, and I would be nervous about drilling into my bumper to mount it. I have also been thinking about getting a roof spoiler and also there is the possibility of an STI trunk swap.

Interior
    I would like to get my hands on a good set of 04-07 STI front seats and have been thinking about trading my deck up to something a little nicer than the AVIC. I would also like to switch out my Passport 8500 X50 radar detector for the Valentine1 or 9500xi

General Mods I'd Like to Do
    Fog Lights Mod
    Daytime Running Lights Mod

Parts I'd Like to Buy
    - This section will be updated with a list of my WTB parts. If you've got em, send me a PM

Rear Spats (unpainted)
      JDM STI Grill in MBP

Well, that’s about all I have for my project right now. Im sure I’ve missed some stuff and I would appreciate any constructive feedback or suggestions.

Note: I will be updating this post with pictures as time allows.
    audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • This is why I can't own nice things..
    • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:25:04 am »
    Wicked! Do you have any before/after pics of the interior trim you painted?
    If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
    I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
    But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
    So give me the vodka, and stfu.
    If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:01:27 pm »
    Dont think i have any before pics. Ill go out this afternoon and take a couple "after" pics though.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:38:01 am »
    Added a "Parts on Order" section

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:23 am »
    Taking a look at ordering the following:

front lip:

grill:

rear spats:

I think they'll go well with my WRX sideskirts that im installing tomorrow. thoughts?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:07:11 pm »
    added WRX sideskirts :):):)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:33 pm »
    This is the route that i will be going:

Prodrive Front Lip

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • testing, testing, 1,2,3...!
      • Shane
    • Ride: 2018 WRB STi and 2000 JDM Forester STi
    « Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:35 pm »
    very nice Z. Looking sharp! I love the black on gold!!

FS: 2014 BMW 320i x-drive 2.0 turbo awd. PM for details

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:10:24 pm »
    very nice Z. Looking sharp! I love the black on gold!!

thanks bud. im debating painting my OZ's gold as well...

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:02 am »
    Installed my JDM Hazard Button

Offline GlennC

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    « Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:27 am »
    Have you ever thought about customizing your exisiting grill? I did it in 2 hours on the basement floor, removed middle badge and added my rear "impreza" badge over to the corner. Plus, stock grills are a dime a dozen :D
    Mr. Installer

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:07:33 pm »
    Glenn, do you have pics? id like to see what you did

Offline GlennC

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    « Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »
    Glenn, do you have pics? id like to see what you did

I can't see any pictures on the internet that aren't approved, so photobucket is out.  From my thread with my05 in this board I *think* this is the right picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/GlennCun/10062008355.jpg

Basically, cut out center peice, sand sand sand sand... Putty, sand sand sand, paint.
    Mr. Installer

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:09 am »
    A few pics i took while Marshalling the Cochrane Rally.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:11:02 pm »
    Update:

I will be getting a WRX rear sway bar for the interim. According to the table that GrantC posted, it will give me more than 250% more roll resistance. Im sure ill want more, but for now, this will have to do.

Texasnick picked up a set of integra headlight housings with HID's retrofitted in them at the Pick and Pull and I have just bought a set of bugeye headlights off Jackal, so I will be attempting my own retrofitting project. We'll see how that goes.

Also, Im picking up the front brakes off Wingless's project WRX so that I can do that swap. Ill be ordering the H6 components for the rear soon as well.

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
    « Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 03:12:59 pm »
    Zaider, let me know when you plan on ordering the H6 stuff as I am interested in doing the same mod too.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:13 pm »
    Updated with "Mods I'd Like to Do" section.

And TWRC, ill let you know.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 10:48:58 am »
    Updated with new "Parts I want to buy" Section and updated my engine plans.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    « Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 11:11:02 am »
    Not to sound like an assay or anything, I mean you have a great build going on, but wouldn't it be easier to sell the RS and buy an STi, or WRX as a better platform to start from, especially if you want to do an engine/tranny swap? That way you have a better platform to start with..
    If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • VEX Performance
      • My other Passion
    • Ride: Horseless Carriage
    « Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:23:13 pm »
    when he does the swap, the little things like front control arms etc. can be changed.  so can sub frames, easily, the platform.... is inherently the same.

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
    FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
    Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
    pic by Black Archer

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    « Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:45 pm »
    But wouldn't it just be cheaper in the long run? Then you don't need to rip the interior apart, to get the STi cluster, or the DCCD switch, or if he wants, the blue interior, etc etc etc. I'm just saying isn't it a little more cost effective to sell it and buy something closer to what he wants?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:17:38 pm »
    Haha. Lots of people ask this. Whats the reason for doing any swap then? Im not looking at "cost-effective". I really really like the look of the bugeyes. More importantly, I LOVE MY CAR. With the swap in mind, i have no intention of ever selling my car. Basically, im looking to keep the bugeye look and get STI power/trans. Im looking at this as a long-term project car. The STI swap isn't gonna get done tomorrow and realistically, by the time i can consider this car "done" it wont be my daily driver.

Buying a car isn't an investment that you're gonna see a return on, so terms like "cost-effective" aren't really applicable :)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    « Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 01:24:12 pm »
    While I can agree on that, I still think that picking up a black bugeye wrx would save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.. It'd be easier to swap an STi drivetrain in, or mod the existing WRX platform, plus you get all the small things that tend to give you headaches (forgive my lack of technical knowledge in this area, but I was thinking things like brakes, LCA's, suspension.. not sure on the differences between RS and WRX), and that way you can also pick up a WRX, and swap any parts you've already modded, such as the headlights, and the JDM hazard button, and just all the small things. Who knows, maybe you can find a lower mileage one and get a really good deal.

It's like a guy I once worked with. He bought a brand new (06) lancer, had it for a month, then started asking me how to swap it to 5spd. I told him to sell it and buy a 5spd.

But honestly, in the end, it's your car, and your plans, and your doing this for yourself, not me, not any other member, not for anyone else. So I applaud you sir. I just wish I could get more done to my car, and make it truly mine.  ;D

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • <shifty eyes>
    « Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 01:50:52 pm »
    In terms of the parts that matter that a WRX has over a 2.5RS, i would be upgrading those anyway so its not worth it. Im not looking to do a true STI conversion where i make my car a North American version of the bugeye STI. Im simply looking for more power than i can get out of my car. All of the suspension/brakes will be replaced with aftermarket anyway, so having WRX parts over mine wont make a difference in the end.