Author Topic: IDTrav's "2004 WRX Wagon Build" - It's alive  (Read 7392 times)

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Cholo
Re: IDTrav's "2004 WRX Wagon Build" - Almost there...
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 01:51:50 pm »
Love this build. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Yvan, much appreciated. Learned a lot from this community and met some great people along the way.
Yeah your car is like a mythical creature.

*was

Offline STi_05

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 STi, 2011 LML Duramax, 2010 Nissan GT-R
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 07:53:31 am »
I felt your pain on that bolt heart stopped lol absolutely hate when that happens.  Attention to detail and part list is great.
509WHP & 470WTQ
Lightspeed Built Stroker Block & Heads
Stock Location GTX35
Build Thread:http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=12397.0

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »
It's been a while since I updated the thread here and I don't remember if I mentioned it but ended up going with the Exedy clutch kit.

The install then began...

The old alignment dowel was still in the tranny and was being a dirty hooker to get out. That could have been the reason the new engine didn't take to kindly in lining up. The torch and some wiggling got her out in no time.

So a little more pushing and tugging then aligning the motor mounts to the studs and we were done. Piece of isspay. No big deal with a few guys that seem to know what they're doing. Cleanup time, check your phones, have a beer and now I can relax thinking the hard part is done and that it would be all down hill from then on...

Then after the dust had settled and the homies had left I came across this...

uckfay me. I couldn't believe I had forgot about it. We were all so gung-ho about dropping the motor back in I wasn't even thinking about it. A few weeks past by - almost a month. Before I felt like tinkering around with her again. So back the boys came to terrorize my garage and put the stupid clutch fork in.

Didn't have to pull it completely out which was nice so wasn't actually that bad but it did leave for another night as we still had a bunch more work to do. Awais, Shady_pro and Wes came over to do the final touches last night. Still needed to bolt the last section of the exhaust manifold to up-pipe, bolt on the downpipe and exhaust, 02 sensor, accessport install and setup the throttle cable.

Awais was monitoring the Accessport, Wes & Dylan on engine bay diagnostics meanwhile I was facetiming the girlfriend to show her how awesome we are... or if the motor turned over for the first time and just blew up.

It started and we are still awesome... Well my friends are anyways but i'll take full credit for Lake Placid.

I didn't tighten down the oil return line to the turbo and may have sprung a small leak. Nothing major as we tightened her back up, ran to the store and filled 4 more litres and good to go. No engine codes. No *more* leaks. Idles like a dream and sounds really nice. Finally got my pink card faxed over to work here so gonna take her out for a break in run around the Hendabahn tonight try and rack up 500 km's this weekend and giver her another oil change.

Thanks again to everyone on the forums here (Especially Awais, E13tankbuster, Shady_pro and Spinnerz) as I've learned a lot through this whole process.

*was

Offline Awais

• Patchy Faced
  • For what is this "horsepower" you speak of?
  • Ride: 2009 Forester XT, 2015 C63, 2018 Aprilia Tuono Factory
Re: IDTrav's "2004 WRX Wagon Build" - It's alive
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:54 pm »
started up first crank! it was fun trav!

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »
Good job boys!
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 06:13:51 pm »
Good progress since I saw it with the valve covers almost back on haha. Good to see it all came together nicely besides that one little hiccup/vomit.

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:28 pm »
Good progress since I saw it with the valve covers almost back on haha. Good to see it all came together nicely besides that one little hiccup/vomit.

Those valve covers were a nightmare. Even after i went and got all new bolts from the dealership they ended up giving me the wrong ones.

A little update... Just did 5 or so loser-laps around the south side of edmonton here and other than the excessive smoke burning off the exhaust and spewing from my hoodscoop the car is flawless. A few reactions from people on the road were quite priceless as stopped at any light it may have seemed like I had a small engine fire going on down there. Other than that no engine codes. No leaks. No overheating or BS to deal with. Drives really really smooth but just kept it 3500 RPM's with minimal throttle to 1/2 throttle. I was expecting some clutch chatter but abolutely nothing which makes me quite happy.

Major difference going back to a GD from a GR. It feels light and comfortable driving around unlike the fat pig of a tank that I'm used to commuting around in every day. Right now there are just the Cobb lowering springs in the front and stock suspension in the back until I get around to installing them. Yes it looks retarded. It could really use a set of beefy sway bars and I would eventually like to install that Perrin positive steering response system I have as the front end feels quite sloppy when cornering.

Overall very satisfied with it so far and look forward to pushing it a little once she's broken in nicely. As much as I still love my STi, I can see ole Betty White taking a comfortable seat in the back of the garage for a while in hopes of racking up some mileage on the Wagon.

*was

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 08:30:54 pm »
I always laugh when I hear the GD referred to as "light and comfortable".
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 10:18:43 pm »
It blows my mind that Subaru somehow figured out how to make a heavier car than the GD. I suspect the GR actually has a small gravity well contained within it.

Congrats on getting the car up and running.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:35 am »
Gald to hear you got her running. I love my wagon. I think you will enjoy yours too!

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:41 am »
Gald to hear you got her running. I love my wagon. I think you will enjoy yours too!

Yeah thanks and me too. I had a blast ripping her around last night. Drove it to work today and sprung a small leak from the upper rad house that was pissing all over. Gonna tighten it up here and hopefully she'll be good.

*was

Offline TwEeKeDXXII

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • D.F.I. W.F.O
  • Ride: 94 Laggin Waggin
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:43 pm »
Nice build dude!

Great job on bringing this beaut back to life  8) Even after driving my buddy's GR, something about the ol wagon still makes me grin more hah.

Oh and Enjoy that fresh motor too!  :D
*** Laggin Wagon ***
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=14015.0
Pig nose 04/05. Hawkeye 06/07. Abortion dumpster baby 08-13.

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:48 am »
Nice build dude!

Great job on bringing this beaut back to life  8) Even after driving my buddy's GR, something about the ol wagon still makes me grin more hah.

Oh and Enjoy that fresh motor too!  :D

Thanks it's been fun.

Well ittshay morning as I had to park her due to the snow we received and didn't want to chance it on summer tires. Took it to the car wash yesterday in hopes of ridding thge oil that continues to burn on the header/exhaust from the initial startup leak but hopefully it goes away soon. Guess I'll leave a couple more pics I took upon the 1st maiden voyage from the other night. Gotta love the stance  :o

*was

Offline Hotpapaya

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 WRX // 1987 Chevrolet Chevette
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:01 am »
Looks good man, the wheels look good on the silver body!

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:57 am »
That door ding doesn't look too bad. A PDR guy should be able to fix it pretty cheaply.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:12 am »
Hahaha. That stance is too funny. Thanks for sharing.  ;D

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
Those wheels do look good on it..
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Dahler

• Patchy Faced
  • BLLLLAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Ride: Starfighter
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 11:46:35 am »
Looking REALLY nice Trav!  Cant wait to see it... and maybe shove a Doberman into the hatch  >:D

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:37 am »
Looks good man, the wheels look good on the silver body!

Thanks. They're almost chrome in person so was thinking about doing them black but we'll see. They grew on me once they were on the car.

That door ding doesn't look too bad. A PDR guy should be able to fix it pretty cheaply.

Yeah hey well I hope so too. Kenny figured the dent could be pulled but I'd still have the crease from the paint left there. If its not more than a couple hundred bucks than will forsure be doing it otherwise it'll just match the front bumper on driver side fender we all managed to dent a few times while putting the engine in.[/quote]

Hahaha. That stance is too funny. Thanks for sharing.  ;D

Yeah buddy. I lol'd to myself everytime I'd go look out the window at my work yesterday and see it backed in all jacked up in the back. It looks like theres a jack under the diff at all times.

*was

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 11:51:28 am »
Those wheels do look good on it..

You would know too I guess hey... after that apparant spotting on 97st yesterday :o

Looking REALLY nice Trav!  Cant wait to see it... and maybe shove a Doberman into the hatch  >:D

Thanks and yeah a doberman would fit fine in there. My buddy that had the car before has a massive German Sheppard that chilled in the hatch without a problem.

*was

Offline booSTIn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:45 am »
Duuuude!!  That's good itshay, glad to see you got her going. Looks clean too.

Clutch fork.... Yeahh I've done pretty much the exact same thing ha, except I figured it out when I wen to go put in the pin that holds it in place. Fun stuff.   Kills all motivation instantly when you have to do the same thing over again.