Author Topic: Zaider's V7 RSTI Project - COMPLETE  (Read 262217 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: Zaider's 2.5RS Project
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:26 am »
And more parts ordered:

JDM Vent Visors are on their way
04+ Tophats and Scooby921 Spacer to fit my STI springs
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Pee_Sack

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:33 am »
Where did you find the vent visors?

I am really interested in a set.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:25 pm »
Well. Here's my update:

Im still waiting on the scooby921 strut spacers and the 04 tophats so I can install my STI springs. But I did drive up to Red Deer to pick up the Vent Visor kit. The install was super easy and I didn't clean the sill with white gasoline like it suggested. Just wiped the area down with a rag and stuck em on. The tape holds super strong and the additional clips are just icing on the cake.

It looks like this!

I've also ordered my Oil Temp gauge from Maddad and will be installing all my gauges when it gets here.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Sean

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »
Looks good Z

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2009, 04:06:34 pm »
Sigh. For those who didn't see my other tread here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=8054.0

I have a pretty bent up oil pan. Most things are on hold until i get one sourced and replace it. Its bent enough I couldn't install my fumoto quick drain plug and I believe im losing a fair amount of oil at high pressures due to it.

I think it happenned when I went off the road during the Novice TSD. I'll also be looking for a skid plate now.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2009, 01:33:36 pm »
Update!

Well. I haven't gotten around to replacing the oil pan yet, but will be looking to spend a weekend doing that soon. Anyone with a lift in their garage who wants to lend a hand would be greatly appreciated because that would make it a lot easier.

I have also just purchased the OEM front lip kit so that should be arriving soon.

I have been trying to purchase an STI spoiler but the seller and I have been having a hard time connecting.

I've also got STI springs and struts off of two different 04 STI's that will be going on in the near future. Im hoping for a bit of a drop (0.5") and a lot better handling. I know to expect the bobblehead, but for the price (struts were free, springs were $60, rear tophats were $70) I dont think i can do any better.

Finally, I will be getting Mungo at Henninger to fix up my front paint (no more rock chips!), fix my driver's door (keyed!) and do the front lip and sideskirts to match.

I've also still got to get around to installing my Oil Pressure and EGT gauges when i get a chance.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 02:24:02 pm »
If you have the time, I would re-grease the STi struts before you install them. I didn't and now have the strut clunk.

I found that the STi suspension did lower my WRX a bit, and didn't notice a lot more harshness.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:24 pm »
If you have the time, I would re-grease the STi struts before you install them. I didn't and now have the strut clunk.

I found that the STi suspension did lower my WRX a bit, and didn't notice a lot more harshness.

Ok! Great! Thanks for the advice.

Edit:

For me (so i remember where it is) and others, i'll be using this writeup:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sti-strut-lubrication-procedures-pics-29677/

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »

But you were starting from a Turbo car.  The 2.5RS is taller.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2009, 02:35:56 pm »

But you were starting from a Turbo car.  The 2.5RS is taller.

which means it should lower it a bit more than that, right?

I was nervous about going too low with regards to suspension geometry, but i like the STI ride height, so i think ill be ok.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2009, 02:42:59 pm »

I was nervous about going too low with regards to suspension geometry, but i like the STI ride height, so i think ill be ok.

I think it will lower it slightly,  I don't see any possible way your geometry would be off from such a minor change.  Don't forget to get an aggressive alignment to go with your new suspension. ;)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »

I think it will lower it slightly,  I don't see any possible way your geometry would be off from such a minor change.  Don't forget to get an aggressive alignment to go with your new suspension. ;)

I meant I was nervous about getting some aftermarket springs... going with the STI struts/springs was my compromise between looks and better handling. Right now i lean like a ship in high seas.

And yeah, i've already talked to Jasonmorrow about getting my alignment after

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 04:07:48 pm »
OEM front lip is in and I'm getting my rock chips fixed next weekend by Chris (mungo).

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2009, 08:46:39 am »
Well. Its back from having some of the paint fixed. Pictures will be up later today and I'll write a full review of Mungo's work. Suffice to say right now, that Im really really pleased with how it turned out. The keyed line on my driver's door is completely gone. I cant even tell where it was, and it was deep! The front bumper looks gorgeous. There's no overspray that i've found so far and the finish looks perfect. The sideskirts look great as well, but since they were used, theres a couple areas where the paint surface is rough, but thats to be expected.

All in all, im thrilled with the work and tonight ill be putting on the front lip.

Offline mungo

• Patchy Faced
    • My Page
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2009, 09:28:00 am »
 ;D
PM if u need body work of any sort, painting, parts from subaru, honda, hyundai..etc or toyota cheaper.

http://mungowrx.mybrute.com

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2009, 09:15:48 am »
I installed my OEM Front Lip last night.

I didn't want to drill into my bumper so I dremelled off the bolt that attaches in front and just used double-sided tape instead. So far its holding really well but i might add some tape to keep from rubbing against the new paint on my bumper.

Sorry bout the crappy iphone pics. My camera somehow got lost in my move.

Next on the list is to get my car lowered a bit, cause that wheel gap kills me every time I look at it.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2009, 10:22:09 am »
Looks amazing! Definitely gonna talk to Mungo about any painting from here on out.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:29 am »
Looks amazing! Definitely gonna talk to Mungo about any painting from here on out.

Thanks!

Im really impressed with the paint so far. In the 3rd pic i posted, you can see the difference between the bumper and the fender... the fender wasn't repainted.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 09:22:16 am »
Another update, more money spent :) :(

I had GlennC install a 4 channel MTX amp yesterday to drive my speakers. I've blown my sub and apparently my Phoenix Gold speakers provide zero bass, so all im getting is treble right now.

In the market for a nice set of replacement speakers.... sigh.....

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2009, 10:04:42 am »
What did you get repainted?? The whole car looked good and shinny when you pulled into the parking lot at Cochrane on Wednesday.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2009, 10:12:21 am »
What did you get repainted?? The whole car looked good and shinny when you pulled into the parking lot at Cochrane on Wednesday.

Thanks.

I got the bumper, the grill side pieces, the sideskirts and the front lip side pieces painted. The hood and fenders need to be done sometime in the future.

its shiny cause im addicted to waxing it. :D

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2009, 10:16:22 am »
Yeah I think I will go home and wax my car today when I get off work.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2009, 10:22:05 am »
Yeah I think I will go home and wax my car today when I get off work.

If you've got the time/inclination... clay bar first... you'll remove all the contaminants in the clear coat.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2009, 11:00:45 am »
I will look into it, it isn't too bad right now especially since its only 4 months old =D, but I really have to clean underneath the top part of the hatch a lot of dust is still washing out from there.

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2009, 03:12:33 pm »
Another update, more money spent :) :(

I had GlennC install a 4 channel MTX amp yesterday to drive my speakers. I've blown my sub and apparently my Phoenix Gold speakers provide zero bass, so all im getting is treble right now.

In the market for a nice set of replacement speakers.... sigh.....

Talk to Glenn about how he set up the amp. If he set it up and tuned it on high pass it will only let the treble frequencies through. Will want ot have set on multi pass (i think it is called that) so it will let both high and lows through. Will have to adjust the frequency and gain again to get the proper sound out again and to not let too low of a frequency through and blow the speakers. Hope that helps!
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)