Author Topic: GrantC's auto-x build ||| Project over, car gone ||| RIP "Soobie"  (Read 99943 times)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Current Look

How I'll remember you

MOD LIST

• EXTERIOR
    • Yellow rockblocker covering fogs
    • Debadged STi fog covers (summer)
    • Autospeed front trim
    • Rally Armor Limited Polyurethane Mud Flaps
    • Rally Armor Skid plate (winter only)
    • Tein Hood Dampers
    • Painted tow hook
    • LED license plate bulbs
    • partial debadged trunk
    • Hella Supertones
    • Hood blanket deleted
    • Paranoid Fabrications engine bay anodized dressup bolts
  • INTERIOR
    • JDM Red Hazard Button
    • Defi gauges (boost, oil temp, oil pressure) in plasti-dipped pod. Oil temp & pressure sensors mounted in a GReddy oil filter sandwich adapter
    • LED interior lights
    • Schroth quick fit harness for auto-x
    • Autospeed dead pedal
    • Kartboy white delrin shift knob
    • OEM Trunk Cargo net  for Sedan (F5510FS000)
    • Drivers side grab handle delete (using RS plugs)
  • BRAKES/SUSPENSION/WHEELS
    • Enkei NT03+m in 17x8 et48 (summer), v5 STi goldies 16x7 et55 (winter)
    • Bridgestone RE-11's 245/40R17 (summer)
    • Tein flex 10kg/mm front & 8kg/mm rear(summer), stock struts (winter)
    • FHI Titanium front strut tower bar, Cusco 40mm rear strut tower bar
    • Whiteline 27mm FSB (BSF36XXZ), 22mm RSB(BSR36Z) (set to 24mm)
    • Group A Endlinks
    • Whiteline heavy duty swaybar mounts (KBR20-22) (KBR21-22)
    • Subaru 4-pot brakes front and 2-pot brakes rear
    • Hawk HPS pads
    • Motul 5.1 (non-baller) fluid
    • Group N Engine/Tranny/Dogbone mounts
    • Kartboy rear diff outrigger bushings
    • Pink TIC transmission crossmember bushings
    • TIC Race rear diff bushings
    • Whiteline Steering rack bushings
  • ENGINE/EXAUST/POWER
    • Cobb uppipe
    • Cobb catted TBE
    • Motogp intake elbow
    • STi drop in airfilter
    • Cobb V2 Accessport with Airboy Stg 2 / Airboy  STX map (competition)
    • Kartboy shortshifter and bushings
  • TO DO
    • Buy new endlinks.
    • Install DBA rotors
    • Lightweight battery
    • More aggressive brake pads?

CHAPTERS

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
Re: GrantC's auto-x build (read the rulebook before you mod)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:04:01 am »
THE STORY
Back in August 2005 Any & I bought our WRX. She was totally against the look of the 06's, so we got one of the last 05's... In retrospect, what a mistake... :P

It already came with tint. It also already had the ability to put a smile on my face. ;)

And the passthrough immediately got used:

And it stayed like that for a whole 2 months until I bought an AccessPort to run stage 1 and a rear strut bar. Embarrassingly enough, I even had Rally Subaru install the strut tower bar *for me*!

So kids, listen to me when I say:
1) don't waste your money on useless mods.
2) don't get a shop to install something as easy as that. :P

(They even screwed up a didn't clip my rear seat all the way in...)

I didn't even learn and got them to install the "alarm upgrade", and the OEM performance gauge pack for me.

In the intervening time it stayed pretty much like that, with some small cosmetic mods that got my DIY confidence up like the Autospeed bumper trim & deadpedal, the red JDM hazard button, and the yellow rockblocker.

I also went through a lot of shiftknobs:
-stock
-"STi" piston
-Petter Solberg limited

I also went through some stickers.

And even went to the first ASC dyno day:

(where with my OTS stage 1 maps I put down worse numbers than some stock 2.5L WRX's)

And met some good people:

I did meet & spend a lot of time chatting with one guy with an 04 WRX with the big Rally Innovation foglights, and he kept talking about some "auto-x" thing I'd heard about on NASIOC, and that being why he made certain mods. If only I knew what was to come.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:04:56 am »
Over the winter I'd gotten a set of Nokian Hakkapellita's mounted on my stock rims, but I knew they weren't going to work for this "auto-x" thing I'd heard about, and I didn't want to swap my tires back & forth on the same rims so I was on the lookout for new wheels.

I kept getting "sniped' when I tried to buy some 04 STI BBS, over & over. ???

Finally, on NASIOC, a set of 17x8 (I'd heard something about that being the size I wanted) Rota Torques came up for sale, and with "summer" tires on them too!
(In retrospect, those Bridgestone RE-040 were *crap*, but my driving was even more crap... So they helped teach me a lot about finding, but not exceeding the limit of the tires.)

So come the spring of 07 I signed myself up for the auto-x school (and got myself in the dog house by *not* signing Any up for it... ;)). Thankfully, someone (Tabibito) dropped out, so she could come.

I was hooked!
(photo found on 780tuners)

(photo by carguyjon on mrheavyfoot.com)

(By the second event I'd figured out that picking shoe-polish off the window trim was a PITA so I made my first set of magnets. ;))

But I wasn't eligible for "stock", this blew! So what if I'd modded my car first. :P The "Stage 1" was reversible, but the rear strut bar was something I didn't want to mess with... There were some other "new guys" in similar cars too! Rei in an 06 WRX, who got bumped to ESS because of his short shifter & Andrew who was in DM because his Celica GT4 was "JDM-yo!". So there were guys in comparable cars to gauge myself against. (Stage 1 2.0L WRX vs. 2.5L WRX vs. JDM 2.0L Turbo AWD Celica)

I was having a great time, but some mods were probably in my future... The car rolled too much so I got a front swaybar that a wagon owner (tmah!) had ordered, but didn't want to do the hassle of fitting to his car. I also picked up a catted (which I wanted to be environmental, and because even race cars run them) Turboback exhaust from sleeper!

I bought these from Rally Subaru, long after they stopped selling aftermarket parts they apparently still had a box of 'em in the back room:

The pile of parts was growing:

But I live in a condo, so I couldn't exactly "pop down out to the garage" to install them.
I got them installed by Subracing (technically by STiPWR, who was working there at the time) they installed my TBE just fine (even if they did re-use all the gaskets. :P).

However, they did me a favour when they installed the bushings for my FSB backwards, y'know what it was?

Lying in my in-laws driveway I pulled off the undertray, the subframe, and re-installed the swaybar with the bushings in the correct orientation, and that "leveled up" my confidence when it came to working on my car!

Heck, I helped a bunch of people install their FSB. ;) Get out there & wrench, post a "call for help" and people will show up and teach you, then you can teach the next person. ;)

I got to install my endlinks too, and to anyone who says the rear endlinks don't make a difference, that's not true. I enjoyed the upgrade even on a stock RSB.

I also did some more small mods like debadging & painting the towhook.

That setup was what I rocked at the first ASC trackday too!

Lining up to go on track:
(Tommy_Tequila marshaling, Theostubs talking, Jitenshakun instructing, Airboy waiting behind me, Stephen Tory behind Airboy)

Zoom!

Coming off the track:

As part of the Subieclub "world meet" we had a BBQ at LightSpeed (my last name (which is, y'know, the same as the e-mail I was communicating with them with) was mis-spelt in Subiesport. :P)

But the best part of that meet, wasn't even anything that happened at it. ;) It was the fact that the swag for it arrived *after* the meet. So we had some magazines and stuff to give away. So I got to meet in person and chat 1-on-1 with Chavez, mars636 (now *there*'s a good guy to chat with), and some others I can't recall.

Other than a wheel swap, that was also my "winter" (and winter auto-x) setup at the time:

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:02 am »
There were some mods I was up to doing myself...

Stickers:

Silencer delete:

Or rallyarmors:

But there were others, where I knew I was going to need an experienced hand... Or some $$ to throw at a shop.
Like the up-pipe, which was still a nag in the back of my mind since I was tracking & auto-xing my car pretty much every weekend:

So I "casually" posted up to ask if anyone had some garage space or anything and if they could lend me a hand.

And mars636 PM'd me within minutes. You'd think he *liked* doing that type of thing or something. ;)

Little did he know that I'd be at his doorstop again for help with:
  • rear swaybar
  • and mounts (twice!)
  • an up-pipe leak (or three)
  • KB shortshifter & all the bushings
  • wiring up my Defi's
  • 4-pot brakes
  • transmission fluid changes
  • engine & transmission mounts

I did some cosmetic mods like STi fog covers too:

Which I de-stickered after a ton of wailing & gnashing of teeth from the combined WSC. :P

It was starting to get towards time for auto-x, again.

So rather that just get new tires, I got new *wheels* and tires:

(not as light as RPF1's, but Robin already had those and I didn't want to be too much of a twin to his car)

And something a *lot* better than the RE-040... RE-01r's!

With Robin & Wally's help we installed my Tein Flex's (exactly the same as Robins. :P, (bought second hand from Modifying, also needed some camber bolts so I bought some that were also used :P))

And some political stuff happened:

I again got help from Stu to install my brakes (which I bought from Subiepilot):

And I installed my big (27mm) front swaybar (also second hand) and my strut tower bar(surprise surprise, it was used!):

(there's that little sister that was in the passthrough)

My car was now pretty much a lean mean auto-x machine... Too bad I wasn't a lean enough mean enough driver. :P

Hrm, I did a brake upgrade... That raises questions! Do I get spacers, or do I find new winter wheels that fit over the brakes? Hrm... Oh look, 98RS gold wheels, thanks for the heads up, jer! (used, from NASIOC)

Winter auto-x glamour shot (Copyright Pistachoo & linked back to her flickr)

THE MORAL
After those initial mods of the strut bar & AP, every other one has been done only after reading the rule book and deciding if it was allowed in a class I wanted to compete in, and if it would help.

I didn't do the rear subframe lock bolts, as they're not allowed in any class I'd be interested in. But I did snap up the rear diff outrigger bushings when a vendor had them posted up for sale at a steal of a price.

I'm down to just a couple more bushings (rear diff, tranny crossmember, steering rack) and(see first post) a lightweight battery & possibly some seats and I am *done*. Maxed out to the extent of the rules for STX.

Maybe that's just me, but I think modding should be done towards a goal/purpose/plan.

And I'm more interested in "go" than "show". People running coilovers with "stock" alignment specs bugs me... They have no idea how a Subaru comes alive with 3-3.5 degrees of negative camber in the front... and 0.5-1 degrees in the rear. People with $3k coilovers and cheap all season tires bugs me. I did tires & swaybars at stock ride height... and I took flack for it from the "looks" people. But my car handled great, and didn't get bumped to a different class.

Also, to those that'd call me baller. Think again. I bought pretty much everything second hand, I sold my old parts (usually for ~1/2 what I paid for them... So when I got the Rota's for $900 with tires, the got passed along to someone else for ~$400 with bald tires. ;)) And don't forget this is a 3 year story. :P I had a plan with all the mods I wanted to do, all listed out, all broken down by price. When something came up used like coilover, or a big FSB then I bought it. I didn't just post, "GLWS I wish I had the money" or "GLWS if I was going to buy suspension, I'd buy that one"...

Man, this really makes me want it to be auto-x season. ;)

If auto-x/track/solosprint/TSD/*anything* looks like fun, then get out and do it! It all starts with a $25-$100 entry fee, and having your car in roadworthy shape. Don't just post, "Man, that looks like fun", get out there and drive! :D

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:09:34 am »

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:10:46 am »
<placeholder>

Wow... that is one hell of a build.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:12:49 am »
<placeholder>

oh boy, i cant wait to see what requires so many posts in a row....

one letter per post?
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:13:29 am »
Lets see you post smartass remarks *now*!  :P

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:20:14 pm »
Fantastic story Grant!  I love all the candid "Hi I'm Grant and I'm giddy" looks on your face in all of the pics.  This is a fantastic car too, a good and functional DD but can be uncorked when you want it to be.  Nice work.   :D

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 12:21:23 pm »
Fantastic story Grant!  I love all the candid "Hi I'm Grant and I'm giddy" looks on your face in all of the pics.  This is a fantastic car too, a good and functional DD but can be uncorked when you want it to be.  Nice work.   :D

Yea, I tried to find the "different" pics from what I usually post.  Like the one w/ the little-sis's arm. :P

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »
now if we only could get that nut behind the wheel to be consistent ;)

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:32:56 pm »
Boy, that is sweet. Its nice to see the story behind the car.

See you out at Greisbach again this year!

Offline steveb0t

• WSC Wrangler
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2019 Crosstrek
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:37 pm »
Great writeup Grant, makes me want to get my feet wet at an auto-x!

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:11 pm »
Nice to finally see the story behind it all!
Even some lessons in there.

Btw, some people call this:
6) LED license plate bulbs

..underglow.

...just sayin'.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 01:50:45 pm »
Great writeup... in my experience, its something you have to learn yourself with regard to deciding which mods to do... definitely need a goal in mind though, otherwise you'll spend 3x the money.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • testing, testing, 1,2,3...!
    • Shane
  • Ride: 2018 WRB STi and 2000 JDM Forester STi
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »
Great little write up... I've been contemplating taking a look at Auto-x but never thought how little mods like shifters and bushings can move you in classes... interesting. I'd just love to compete!

Cheers!

FS: 2014 BMW 320i x-drive 2.0 turbo awd. PM for details

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:57:18 pm »
I think what grant didn't emphasize as much is that classing is less of an impact than the driver. Meaning that you should drive to improve then work on classing. Most of us that don't care about season standings go out to compete against friends and don't really care about class (as mentioned above with the wrong-hand-drive comment).

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
Yup, just go drive & ignore the results & classes mumbo jumbo.

Just go compare your times against a friend. ;)  It's tons of *at the limit* seat time.  That's pretty hard to argue with.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »
Amazing. I really need to do the more goal oriented setup. The only auto-x i've done was in my civic at RC, during secret street, so no classes or such for me.

I don't supposed you can point me in the right direction for class restrictions regarding mods, and also some reading material re: sway/strut bars, as I think those may be my next mods.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 05:23:19 pm »
WCMA now follows SCCA rules, so here they are:
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2009_Solo_Rules.pdf

:-O

Offline Zuffy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 11:03:48 am »
Wow, cool write-up Grant!  It's inspiration for me to do a diary of my Suby too. 

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 11:04:48 am »
Wow, cool write-up Grant!  It's inspiration for me to do a diary of my Suby too. 

maybe including a motorsports experience section???

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:50 am »

You liked how I blame you for everything?  :P

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:57 pm »
Once again,

Thanks Stu for helping me (finally) put in my Supertones and with the fog light mod.  I didn't hit any higher boost on the way home, so that compressor outlet mustn't have been a leak.

(Supertones are *loud*, don't accidentally set off your car alarm after you put them in...  :P)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:28 pm »
Which fog light mod did you do?