Author Topic: Husky 94  (Read 6883 times)

fragment

Re: Husky 94
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »
My ver8 spec-C conversion w/JDM spec-C ecu worked "ok" with Husky 94, but when logging, it was evident that it wasn't in the sweet spot.  The IAM was all over the place, and usually low.  So IMO, some tuning is advised.

As to whether it is safe, my opinion is "yes".  While less than optimal, the ECU was able to learn decent timing curves that were within the programs parameters, and knock was a rare event.

Hope that helps, sorry I don't have any of the logs...

Offline 99 rs

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:39 pm »
I think you're right.  I didn't actually have a look at my car yet.  I'm doing my up-pipe soon then.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 10:55:49 pm »
Quote from: "99 rs"
I think you're right.  I didn't actually have a look at my car yet.  I'm doing my up-pipe soon then.
The only reason I know that is that I'm using an STi uppipe (same P/N as mine) and an 02 WRX exhaust manifold.

Quote from: "fragment"
My ver8 spec-C conversion w/JDM spec-C ecu worked "ok" with Husky 94, but when logging, it was evident that it wasn't in the sweet spot.  The IAM was all over the place, and usually low.  So IMO, some tuning is advised.

As to whether it is safe, my opinion is "yes".  While less than optimal, the ECU was able to learn decent timing curves that were within the programs parameters, and knock was a rare event.

Hope that helps, sorry I don't have any of the logs...
Thanks man, I guess that means I can run on the stock ECU until I can afford a standalone.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 11:25:41 pm »
Quote from: "WRX_RA"
hmmm..
Well thats interesting I was always told not to use ethanol blended gases...
From what I have seen here looks like when I get a tune in summer, I'll be tuning it for 94

_Matt

My recommendation is to get a tune on non-ethanol blend 91.  If you think about it, when you tune for Husky 94, then that is the only gas you can get for the car.  If you go on a road trip to Jasper, or to the coast, (or basically anywhere outside of Edmonton or Calgary) most of the gas stations you come across will only have 91 octane.

With a 91 octane tune, you are maybe leaving 15 whp on the table, but you no longer have to worry about babying your car on a road trip.  Ideally, you would have a tune for both, and flash the 91 octane map when you go for a drive outside the city.

Realistically, 15 whp is not that noticable.  If you are drag racing the car the difference will be around 1 - 2/10th of a second at most, and 1 mph faster trap.

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • testing, testing, 1,2,3...!
    • Shane
  • Ride: 2018 WRB STi and 2000 JDM Forester STi
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 09:07:51 am »
That's good to know x-ray... because I have only been using the H94 and once I complete my updgrades, I'll want to get Sunny to take a peek at things and tweak it. So you're saying I should fill up with 91 for a tank or two to tune it?

FS: 2014 BMW 320i x-drive 2.0 turbo awd. PM for details

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 10:58:04 am »
Yeah, fill up a few tankfuls of 91 octane before you tune it.

Some people forget this when they go to get a protune because they want to "put down big numbers", and fill with the best gas available (ie.  Chevron 94 in BC before getting tuned at RR).  Then the tuner has to basically guesstimate based on other 91 octane tunes he's done when setting up the boost and timing instead of actually tuning specifically for your car.

Since you plan on eventually tuning yourself, then this isn't as important for you.  You will probably end up with many maps for your car.  More conservative for 91, and more aggressive for Husky 94 when you get around to tuning it on your own.

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RA Motorsports - Element
    • RA Motorsports
  • Ride: 1987 Corolla GT-S, 1990 300SE, 2009 SX4 AWD, 2018 FXT
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 12:07:25 pm »
Well thats neat to know, I would probably stick with 91 just because,
But its good to know still.

_Matt
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca