Author Topic: My Betty now sold.  (Read 37163 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: My "Betty"
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:27 am »
Do you find there is any hot-spotting with the LED's? or is it pretty even on the dash?
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:57 am »
Looks amazing. Can you do a write up on how to do the key-ring?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 09:39:18 am »
Do you find there is any hot-spotting with the LED's? or is it pretty even on the dash?

For the most part,  it is pretty even.  There are a few areas that could use a wider pattern.  The hvac for instance could use a wide pattern because it is only 2 lights down there covering all that area.  On the cluster there is the odd spot that could use a little more light as well.   I will be going with the really wide pattern for three on the dash and two on the hvac.  I will have a spare then,  and will try breaking one down for the window switch.

There is one link that gets you rolling on the whole idea on Nasioc,  and if you read all the pages,  it links you everywhere you need.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690378&highlight=gauge+light
The slack way is here.  This is how I did mine,  no sanding.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821215

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 11:49:29 am »
I finished the project this morning.  Of course the blue does not emit a huge amount of light,  so I added an Led that I had laying around to the map lights.  The map lights still work as normal,  but I added a light that runs off the dome light.  When the dome light is on I get a little more light on the e-brake area.  I plan on adding one more,  a little more focused on the gear lever.  My goal is to highlight the centre console.  (I have plans for that as well ;)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 02:18:02 pm »
so, from that, i can see that there is a hot spot behind the odo/trip, and that the fuel/temp gauges aren't even, and that the redline on the tach is a bit dim, right?

im not trying to detract from your project at all, i just want to figure out if i want to do this myself since i would want to get a nice even colour throughout.

Is there seperate bulbs for the needles? like, could i leave those so the colour doesn't change?
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 04:11:36 pm »
so, from that, i can see that there is a hot spot behind the odo/trip, and that the fuel/temp gauges aren't even, and that the redline on the tach is a bit dim, right?

im not trying to detract from your project at all, i just want to figure out if i want to do this myself since i would want to get a nice even colour throughout.

Is there seperate bulbs for the needles? like, could i leave those so the colour doesn't change?

Yup that about sums it up.  I will be playing with it some more.  The problem with the red line is that you still want the numbers to look good.  If you look at the pic of the back of the cluster,  you can see why there is an unevenness to the fuel/temp side.  As for the needles,  I saw a fix for them,  but its buried in the 27 pages of one of the links I posted.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 04:40:18 pm »
But, the problem is that in order to avoid sanding away the green film, you need to use powerful LED's which result in hot spotting.. im wondering if you sanded away the film, and then just used coloured regular bulbs, if you would get hotspotting...

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 05:34:33 pm »
That's right.  I didn't want to sand because to do a good job,  you need to remove the needles.  Removing the needles kinda scares me.  :o  Since I have not had the chance to use the wide pattern Led's yet,  I am not willing to say it can't be done with them.  All my swapped in Led's are the Super Stars,  and have a narrow pattern to them. 

I also just double checked the redline issue,  and the needles.  The redline is fed light from part of the Tach lighting.  If you leave the regular bulb,  the redline and needle look better but the tack numbers change to green again.  I don't mind too much about the red line.  As a side note,  there is a free space on the cluster for a twist fit light,  but no light.  I was wondering if that was for a shift light.  I know the AP can set the shift light response but a stock 02 WRX doesn't have one.

The needles themselves get the light from the base they swivle on.  (as best as I can tell) 

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:19 pm »
I know the AP can set the shift light response but a stock 02 WRX doesn't have one.

That's actually just setting when the screen on the AP flashes if you're using it as a gauge.

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:49 pm »
Looks great!!!

How did you change the ignition ring bulb?  Mine's burnt out (if it even has one).

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 07:46:45 pm »
Looks great!!!

How did you change the ignition ring bulb?  Mine's burnt out (if it even has one).

Thanks.  Yeah I changed that bulb out.  Its super easy too.  1 screw under the column holds the bottom part on,  another 2 screws hold on the top plastic.  Wiggle the ring out, pop off the white part,  and replace the bulb.  Takes litterally 5 min.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »
Well they arrived,  and it's time for Interior colour change part two.

The first thing I did was the Fog and Cruise switches.  They are pretty easy.  Just pop out the switch,  disconnect it,  pop out the bottom bulb,  and swap in the new one.

The next step was a little more difficult,  and I would not recommend it unless you have experience with on board soldering.  Take out the plate that covers the board,  and separate the toggles from the board.  Use a wick,  or solder sucker to remove the solder holding the Led to the board.  It is very important to remove as much as possible, as to not damage the trace when pulling off the Led.  As long as the trace is in good condition,  you can solder on the new Led.  I used one of the Led's from my first purchase,  and removed it from the base and the resister and diode that are in the base.  (the board already has the right voltage to the Led) Make sure to observe the right polarity, and solder on the new Led.  That simple. 

Then I played with the Dash.  I have found the new Led's with the three on top a little better for the dash.  I had planned on using two for the HVAC,  but I found that the HVAC looked the same no matter which type Led was in. You may have to play around a bit to find the right orientation for the Led's for the best coverage.  After some playing around I got to this.

From this.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 12:17:25 pm »
Tee hee, your milage went from 124545 to almost 125656

/dork
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 04:29:34 pm »
Well it's time for the next installment of the interior conversion on Betty.  I have allways hated the 02-03 center console.  Why anyone thought it was a good idea to put a cup holder above the stereo,  I'll probably never know.  Here are a couple of the resources I used to steamline my installation:
http://www.scoobymods.com/03_05_wrx_dash-t6673.html?s=ecab48af78aa134a607fc4d0237c0a37&amp;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252301&highlight=console
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-interior/41293-05-center-console-04-updated-completed-pics-write-up.html

Here Is what I started with.

The first step is pulling out the current console.  This only takes a few minutes.  I pulled out the console all the way to the arm rest.  Don't lose any of the screws or you regret it.   :P Here is a look at the differences between the two consoles.

The ebrake must come out,  and be swapped with the 05+ ebrake assembly.  I have read several different methods of doing this.  The way I chose was to bend the mounting tab a little,  and use the brake line from the original set up.  The first picture shows the two brake wires. The  original brake wire that I left in the car,  and the one from the 05 (white). The 05 brake wire is longer than the original,  and for some reason folks modify the 05 brake wire to shorten it.  You can see the 03 wire (black) is already the correct length. The second picture shows the differences in the two brake assemblies. The arrow points to the tab I bent upwards just a bit.  It took two test fittings to get the bend right. I just put it in a vice and pulled on the assembly.  It will fit without any modification, but it will sit on an angle.

Here is the new brake installed and sitting properly.  I added another nut and washer to the middle bolt to add strength to the set up.  I has read that many people leave it with just two mounting points an have had no issues though. 

I also retained the stock mounting bracket for the arm rest section of console. My stock part had the holes pre-drilled for the new section,  so I decided to leave it in,  instead of modifying the new bracket. Around this time I stopped taking many pics,  as I was in the zone,  and plain old forgot.  I have more work to do on the console,  and parts are on order.  I plan on spraying the silver console parts with Plasty Dip.  I have two cans of Black,  and two cans of Blue.  Home Hardware carries the brand if your looking.  I don't know what colour I'll go with yet. 

This is how the car looks when I get in it at night right now. Sorry about the blur,  but I didn't use a flash and the exposure time was around 5 seconds.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
I really wish you were in Calgary. I would def get you to help me.. Maybe I should find a wrecked 05, and pull apart the interior.. Do you know if the 05 HVAC STi controls will plug n play w/ the 04?
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »
The console swap really does not take much to do. If you know which end of the screwdriver to hold then you should be ok. As for the HVAC from the 05 working in the 04, I'm not really sure. I'm pretty sure they look a little different, the plugs on the back should fit.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 06:05:21 pm »
My problem is the $$$ involved in the project =) If I could source a wrecked 05-07 for the console, i would attempt it.. It looks like the write ups say you need to replace the vents/hazard button as well?

Also, I would need to relocate the DCCD sensors/mirror controls.. As mine are located next to the cup holder..

But yours looks pretty sick so far! I would love to see a finished product.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:32 pm »
The top vent must change,  but the hazard switch doesn't.  I have not found a good spot for the mirror switch yet.  the switch itself is huge.  If you find an STI for part out the DCCD switch should allready have a spot. If you buy all the parts from subarugenuineparts.com the total cost in parts will be lower than you may think.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:18 pm »
I got a little more work done on the interior upgrade.  It bugged me that the light for the lighter stopped working.  I found a difference in the plug layout between the two harnesses.

All you have to do to swap the layout is push the little retainer tab in and pull the contact out. 

And the way the plug is now.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »
I also started the painting of the trim pieces.  I found some Plasti Dip at Home Hardware,  and began to prep the trim parts.

This is what the parts look like after a couple coats Plati Dip. 

The Plasti Dip leaves the parts with a grippy soft plastic feel,  like the handles of pliers, and side cutters.  (That is what it is meant for)
So far I think it coming out pretty good.

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 10:08:06 am »
Looking good Duane!  I can't wait to see it all in person when it's finished.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 11:14:59 pm »
Better pics

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 07:36:17 pm »
A few more updates.  I had been getting down to ways to change the clock LCD display to match the rest of the lights.  I happened across a folder at staples for $.35 and decided to give it a try.

I simply cut a piece to match the clock face and taped it on.

It is a little dull compared to the rest of the lights,  so I might try backlighting it,  or something else.  It will due for now.

I also got down to the set up for my audio system.  Like many out there,  my Iphone runs my life,  and I needed to set up a spot for it.  With the new fold down "ashtray" I found the best spot is on the inside of the lid.  I still wanted to retain the USB connection as well.  Here are the results.

The rubbery feel of the Plasti Dip prevent the phone from sliding around,  and the tilt is enough to keep it from flying out at me.   ;D

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 07:44:02 pm »
Forgot to post what it looks like to date overall.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 07:50:47 pm »
I did that staples folder trick in my civic for the clock.. ;D