Author Topic: I need the opinion of the Bike Buffs.  (Read 1762 times)

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
I need the opinion of the Bike Buffs.
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:20:31 pm »
A Buddy of mine has an 06 Kona Cinder cone forsale, He want's $340.00 for it.
I this too much, or should I jump on it?
What's Green and says " I'm a Frog "?

A talking Frog......

:-/

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
Re: I need the opinion of the Bike Buffs.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »
What do you expect to do with this bike?  If you're using it to ride to the corner store, it's a great bike.  However, if you plan on being hard on it, I would pass.  More recent Konas are no longer made in Canada so that might be a big turn-off.  I used to ride a Kona about 10 years ago and loved it but the quality of their mid-end bikes have gone downhill since then and I would imagine that the same goes for their entry-level bikes.

I believe that the Cinder Cones come with Shimano Deore and or LX components which isn't bad but be prepared to be hauling around a 30 pound cross country bike depending on the fork and brakes etc.  At the end of the day it's up to you.

Mods, I think this needs to be moved to the OT section.  :)

Offline Tricky [RCAF]

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: WRX swap Impreza coupe For Sale, 06 WRX wagon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:28:33 pm »
I think if it this way, everything can be upgraded on a bike except the frame. I was purchasing an entry level bike last year, and I purchased the bike I thought had the best frame.

Also I would see what others are selling that bike for on pinkbike.com or mtbr.com

Cheers

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
I think if it this way, everything can be upgraded on a bike except the frame. I was purchasing an entry level bike last year, and I purchased the bike I thought had the best frame.

Also I would see what others are selling that bike for on pinkbike.com or mtbr.com

Cheers

That's true.  Owning a bike can very much be like owning a car on a smaller scale. 

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:40:41 pm »

Mods, I think this needs to be moved to the OT section.  :)
[/quote]
Woops! sorry fellas
What's Green and says " I'm a Frog "?

A talking Frog......

:-/

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »
I assume your buddy bought it for $700 or so?

If you're looking for an entry level hard tail and want to save a few bucks its as good as anything.  However, if its been ridden a bunch it'll probably need a new casette, chainrings, chain, brake pads and potentially tires.  If you're buddy bought it and never rode it that's another story.

If you're looking for a little more bike start watching www.chainlove.com and you'll get an idea what you can get for more $$$ on the cheap.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.