Author Topic: TUNING SOLUTIONS FOR DRIVE BY WIRE NOW  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
Re: TUNING SOLUTIONS FOR DRIVE BY WIRE NOW
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 12:01:32 am »
Quote from: "Airboy"
That was what I would've guessed, Ecutek: the complete opposite to Open Source. :cry:  

+1,  .... what is Open Source missing compared to Cobb for table access, and how is it not "stable"?

I'm not trying to second guess your decision, and I'm definitely not a pro but Sunny is right about Ecutek being the polar opposite of OS.  

Jeff
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • http://www.Lightspeedinnovations.com
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 12:30:27 am »
Once again this comment of stabilty is not a personal comment but one of professional tuners I talked to. I had to make a decission on where to go.  I talked with everybody I could find that would talk with me Sunny and I talked one night also. This was a hard decission trust me the ECUTEK software is way more expensive than COBB or open source. After buying this Dyno investing in software (you don't even want to know the price of) was not something I wanted to do. Opensource is free and that is great but the cost to the end user is just slightly more than a Tractrix cable and wide band for us to use something else with support.  Put yourself in my place you have someone's $50000 car you are responsible for having the ability to pick up a phone and get support for a technical issue is something you need to have. I am not the biggest fan of rom tuning anyways I have always been a standalone guy myself. We do pretty much one standalone a week but the need for rom tuning was needed. Tuning or tuning abilty is not the real issue that is already assumed that a tuner working with either will be able to do a proper job. I do know pro tuners that have lost ecu's with open source that could very well have been their fault but the safe guards in a pro tuner program will prevent most human errors from messing something up. This is probably the biggest for me minor changes are a 15 second reflash with the ability to have real time timing adjustment. This is huge we all want MBT nailed and the time to do that with out real time tuning makes things very hard. I am not saying it can't be done with open source I am just saying it is harder. I have heard nothing but the best about some of the tuning being done with Open Source I just chose to go one step above after all.
LIGHTSPEED INNOVATIONS INNOVATION NOT IMITATION

2009 STI 13.2 @105 mph stock intake-stock exhaust-stock turbo
COBB PROTUNING-CUSTOM BUILDS-BALANCED & BLUEPRINTED MOTORS-AWD DYNOTUNING-WHITELINE WAREHOUSE-FULL AFTERMARKET PARTS
WWW.LIGHTSPEEDINNOVATIONS.COM            RED DEER, ALBERTA,         403-346-7960

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:36 am »
Again I understand where you guys are coming from and the liabilities you face with paying customers .... and definitely RT tuning is a huge plus.  I must say though that I have never heard of someone "losing" an ECU with Open Source, other than having the cable disengage while flashing and even that is recoverable.  I have the software and circuit diagram that allow the recovery of the ECU via bootstrap if that happens (I like to be prepared).

Anyway Ecutek is still a good product and many are very happy with it.

Jeff
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 12:49:49 am »
Sunny and I are still talking as well Jeff feel free to PM me with a number I would love to talk to you some more. I think it is great people are playing with the ECU programming themselves. If you knew me you would find that my real passion is teaching people about their cars matter of fact on Friday nights at my shop we open it up for a car club where the whole idea is seeing people work on their own car under supervision. Free Knowledge is something I am so for. Matter of fact if you hang out when I am tuning a car I like to explain every step of the way. Trust me the last expense I wanted right now was to invest in more software ECUTEK is very expensive but we want to continue on with that professional attitude of we will do it the best way we know how.

COBB PROTUNING-CUSTOM BUILDS-BALANCED & BLUEPRINTED MOTORS-AWD DYNOTUNING-WHITELINE WAREHOUSE-FULL AFTERMARKET PARTS
WWW.LIGHTSPEEDINNOVATIONS.COM            RED DEER, ALBERTA,         403-346-7960

Offline mars636

• The Garage Gnome
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: White Ford Bronco
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04:46 am »
I was just wondering if you guys tune using the Streetuner software.  a lot of places will not tune cars with this because I can see what changes they have made.  I would like to get my car Dyno Tuned in the future but just trying to find a place that will do it.

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 05:57:38 pm »
I am not familiar with street fire software but I am sure it is like most of the others out there. The basic principles will apply. I do not care about locking people out of tunes for tune secrecy. The lock out is only to protect people from themselves. I have been in business for along time. SOmebody always has a friend that is an absolute wizard with cars and computers and likes to mess with things. They tell very convincing stories about all this stuff they know and sometimes they may be very good but most of the time it is BS and a car gets wreaked. Sunny and I were already talking about it someone who knows what they are doing can log and steal a tune but if they know how to do that they could just do it themselve in the first place.

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 05:58:04 pm »
So give us a call and we will get it infor you.

Offline mars636

• The Garage Gnome
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: White Ford Bronco
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 06:23:40 pm »
Yup the streettuner software is just Cobbs "protuner" software for the end user.  It doesnt have all the tables that protuner has but it has a lot of them. http://http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2920&rsku=0   I will be looking at this spring before i will want to get it tuned.

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 10:18:15 pm »
For all of those who I said I would phone and talk to I truly am sorry. This week has become a hell week it started out being short handed in the shop. Then the RX7 wiring nightmare from hell arrives. It is ok though I just have to tune it. That is until the 100 amp main fuse blows and 8 hours later I have found and fixed the shorted out wire. Then couple hours late this bad boy is making 456 at the wheels. Jeff also found out how wrong the book time is on a 1997 AWD Eagle Talon when he decided to tackle the power steering rack. I will be phoning everybody here shortly. Thanks Cam.

LightspeedJeff

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:12 am »
Also if you don't hear a response from Cam, pm me or give me a call at the office 403.346.7960 ext. 1. I check my e-mail/pm/voice messages much more often than Cam does (he's busy with a lot of things), and can answer just about anything you ask (or can find the answer muy pronto).
-Jeff

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 07:27:25 pm »
Hmmm, so will you have capabilities of running Cobb software in the near future, or have you dropped that idea entirely?

Offline LIGHTSPD

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:17 pm »
Havn't dropped it but it is totally in Cobbs hand now. We are waiting for them to get their stuff fixed so they feel comfortable sending it out.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:02 pm »
I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Like other people have said, Open source is not something they would like to do, plus I don't want to feel like I just waisted my 600bux on a AP.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:07 am »
back on track now!