Author Topic: JDM '93 Impreza WRX - HELP?  (Read 3591 times)

Imprezawrxxx

JDM '93 Impreza WRX - HELP?
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:02:54 pm »
Hey guys whats goin on, my names Josh, Im new to cars, im just getting into them, lol im am also new this forum, so bare with me!

I resently bought a '93 Subaru WRX from Japan, It sounds clean, looks clean, just has a few small issues im trying to figure out.

First off its sputtering at low rpm, its almost hard to take off from a stop now, the sound of my car is coming from underneath and it sounds just very "sputtery" it also seems to almost bog out it sputters so bad when I really giver,  seemingly as soon as the turbo starts to reach full spool, and then i can smell fresh gas. Interestingly it doesnt happen in neutral or with the clutch in, a buddy of mine has a nissan pulsar and says it reminds him of when his wastegate needed servicing and his car was overboosting but this seems like theres not enough gas getting threw or it almost feels likes somthing is cloged, its hard to explain. i've also had a few replies on a few forums saying it could possibly be the spark plugs, but the guy who i bought it from replaced them.

also seemingly less of a problem, I think my power stearing is leaking some where, My car started making this wining sound so i put some power stearing fluid in and now it stopped but if anyone has any idea what this is or even willing to come look at it drive it please do! I also need to know a trustworthy, reliably mechanic i can take my baby to, lol thank you so much guys.

I would really appreciate a few seperate opinions from people that are educated in the area of turbo subarus as far as to what else it could possibly be or how to potentially narrow it down further what the problem could be, im not sure if ive given ENOUGH information so i guess if you have any more questions regarding the cars behaviour PLEASE ask and id be happy to explain further

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
Re: JDM '93 Impreza WRX - HELP?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:06:48 pm »
1st problem: Replace spark plugs, coil packs (do 02+ conversion), fuel filter, run some injector cleaner in your gas tank.  That should fix it as well as make your car run one hell of a lot better.

2nd Problem:  Your PS fluid was just low.  If it starts whining again, try to locate the source of the leak.  If you can't find it, replace your PS hoses and top it off again.

Offline OliverD

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:53 pm »
sounds like somethings slowing down the flow of fuel, correct me if i'm wrong but i think i remember seeing that there's a difference between japan gas and canadian that requires a tune could possibly be wrong.
ps
this Josh from CA??

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
sounds like somethings slowing down the flow of fuel, correct me if i'm wrong but i think i remember seeing that there's a difference between japan gas and canadian that requires a tune could possibly be wrong.
ps
this Josh from CA??
"it also seems to almost bog out it sputters so bad when I really giver,  seemingly as soon as the turbo starts to reach full spool, and then i can smell fresh gas." indicates ineffecient combustion and leads me to believe there is a spark issue.

Offline rockcrete

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:53:10 pm »
Probably coil packs, but clean your maf too and check for vaccuum/boost leaks.

Also, go outside, stick your head under the steering column and look up and you should see a pair of green plugs that aren't connected and a pair of black plugs that aren't connected.

Plug the pair of black plugs together and turn the ignition to the run position (don't start the car).

Watch the check engine light and write down the number of long flashes followed by the number of short flashes which will give you your error codes.

If there is no code, the light will just flash at a constant pace.

When you're done turn the ignition off and unplug the connector again.

Let us know what you find.

Offline rockcrete

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:56:22 pm »
As for gas, upon doing some research, ethanol runs lean compared to regular fuel, so if you're using ethanol 94, you're on the edge of what is tolerable by the stock motor.  I have a friend in Airdrie that can put a reprogramable board in your stock ecu and then custom tune your car - he has done another local member's car with very good results.

Offline Speed Stick

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: SG5, JZX100
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 01:22:56 am »
Sounds like your car is in need of new ignition coils for sure.  I replaced mine and did an 04sti conversion.  Replaced the spark plugs at the same time.  I am almost 100% sure that will fix the issue.  And since you smell fuel, its because at least one cylinder has a misfire causing unburned fuel.  Its almost always gonna be the coil beside the turbo that will be cracked. 

This is my old ignition coil.  If yours looks like that it needs to be replaced.

This is the link to the page with the information on the conversion to the new and improved ignition coils.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192028

And I'm the guy that had Anton from Airdrie tune my JDM WRX.  He's done an awesome job.

I was in Calgary today and would have met with you to help diagnose your car if I had found out sooner.
1993 GC8 WRX(SOLD)
2004 5spd FXT
1997 5Spd JZX100 Chaser

Imprezawrxxx

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:56:22 am »
As for gas, upon doing some research, ethanol runs lean compared to regular fuel, so if you're using ethanol 94, you're on the edge of what is tolerable by the stock motor.  I have a friend in Airdrie that can put a reprogramable board in your stock ecu and then custom tune your car - he has done another local member's car with very good results.

So what should i be putting in my car?

Offline rockcrete

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:53 am »
Use what you like and get it mapped with that fuel in it.

You will lose some mileage with ethanol gas versus straight gas.

A non-ethanol 91 or 92 octane may be better on an unmapped car as the lean mixture you get with ethanol *may be a bigger problem than the lower octane.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:38:23 am »
Running leaner vs knocking..?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.. Get it tuned, ASAP.

As for the coil packs, it's probably a good idea to do the 02+ conversion regardless.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline sniper512

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 Bug to the Eye
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:46 am »
Yuppers 02+ coils FTW. Make sure if you get them from the dealer you get the most up to date part number. They'll ask you for a VIN because they are lazy lol. Just get them to order WRX coils from a 02 and ask for the news part number they are cheaper as well.

Soon2Boost

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:38:27 pm »
What Spark plugs do people suggest I've always ran NGK Coppers with Boosted vehicles but not sure.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:52 pm »
Have you ruled out a boost leak?

Start simple and then wade into tricky stuff.

You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline sniper512

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 Bug to the Eye
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 07:45:26 pm »
PFR6B is the OEM NGK plugs gapped to 0.028-0.030. I ended up using the Autolite equivalant they solved some misfires and what not that I was having with the BKR6E's by NGK. Also check the voltage on your TPS. It should read 4.7v at closed and 0.9v at WOT. Mine was off just a bit and after setting it to proper voltage the car ran even better.

Soon2Boost

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 10:15:10 pm »
Awesome....Ive been looking for the proper plug for a while...

Offline 93GC8

• Stubbly Faced
  • Scoobie
  • Ride: 94 GC8 WRX, Black w/ Cherry Pearls
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 08:55:14 am »
okay, here is one for ya!...i am doing the 02+ conversion right now....and i put the packs in, took the ignitor out, butt end connected the correct wires, and sounds like im only have one piston firing!...i got that far at the end of my night so im doing triple checks today and hopefully will stumble over something!...but if you have any ideas....let me know