Author Topic: HowTo: Install SPT Boost Gauge install on 08 WRX  (Read 3376 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
HowTo: Install SPT Boost Gauge install on 08 WRX
« on: March 29, 2009, 12:42:14 am »
My take on how to install the SPT Boost Gauge.
Might be simple to some, but it's the first one I did, and it's the first (on WSC) that I've seen on an 08.
The official Subaru instructions that come with it, are here:
http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadFree.jsp?doc_id=270503

I changed my task order to suit my needs for the install, but I'll write it here in the smarter order, now that I know how it all works.
I also swapped the gauge to the left side of the cluster, instead of the right side. Right side is where Subaru tells you to put it.

Note: Click any pic for a bigger version.

Tools needed:
As per the install guide

Subaru fail on the metric drill bits. FYI, those are 3/16 (5mm) and 11/32 (8.5mm) size bits required.
I also used various flathead screwdrivers for various parts, a wire coathanger to fish the tube through the firewall, and 10mm and 12mm sockets to remove the TMIC, some ingenuity to figure out exactly how to get something done when Subaru's instructions are SO helpful (like "Route hose through firewall". Thanks for being so specific), and some brute force, even in those locations where you're scared to break something.

Remove TMIC.
3x 12mm nuts on the IC (2 on passenger side, 1 on driver side), and 2x 10mm nuts on the BPV.

Locate the grommet on the driver side of the dog bone, and remove it.

This is where you will fish the tube through the firewall. I would recommend using a wire coat hanger. I actually fished the wire through first, then used electrical tape to attach the hose to the end of the wire, and pulled it back through to the engine bay. It's much easier to push a thin wire through than a rubber sticky hose. I had to bend the wire in multiple directions, and aim it down towards the drivers footwell. Impossible to take pics, but it should come through down by the pedals if you aim it right.

This is after I pulled the hose through, but you get the idea.

At this point, you could attach the hose to the BPV, but I did this later on, so those instructions are further down.

Once you get it into the car, pull it through, leaving enough in the engine bay to get from the firewall, routing around to the BPV.

Into the car.

Start by pulling off the cluster hood. I use 303 on my dash, so it was extremely slippery. I couldn't get a good enough grip to pull it out. So, I had to resort to other methods.

There is a sort of "liner" on the inside of the hood. If you squish your fingers between the cluster window and this liner, you can sneak your fingers behind it to give you something to grab hold of.

BE CAREFUL... this liner is screwed to the bottom of the hood. The liner WILL unclip from the hood, and if you pull too hard, you could break it.
Here, you can see what I mean by "liner":

Here, look at the white clips on the top. This is how the hood is clipped to the dash. No worries of breaking anything. So if you can get a good hold of the hood, just pull it out.

Remove cluster. 2 screws at the top of the cluster. It simply pulls out. Remove the wiring harness that goes into it.

Now, use the wire hanger and fish down to the pedals. Attach the hose to the wire, and pull it back up to the cluster. Try to avoid anything in the way, don't get it wrapped around everything. There is not a lot of excess length on the hose, so don't waste it by wrapping it around the gas pedal. :P

Pull it up and through the left hole in the cluster (if you are placing the gauge on the left side)

Remove the center trim around the stereo and vents. It is clipped in. I took a very thin flathead, wrapped it in paper towel so it would scratch, and used it to separate the first couple clips at the top.
(borrowed image from Denato1 on 3gwrx)

4 screws hold the head unit in, and an additional 2 screws hold the satellite receiver in. Unplug all the wires on the back of the HU, and toss it aside. (or, gently place it somewhere safe, if you're that kind of person)

Now you need to remove the clock. Reach under the dash, there are two plastic "pressure" clips on the clock. You need to push them both apart to unclip the clock. Ie. push the left clip left, right clip right... separating them. While doing this, push the clock INTO the dash. It takes some maneuvering.

When unclipped, take the clock out, pull off the wire. Finally, we get to plug in the wiring harness that came with the kit. There are two "T" wires on the harness. They only fit one way. Plug the one that fits into the clock, into the clock. Then take the stock wire, and plug it into the other side of the T.
(borrowed image)

Route the remaining wires through to the cluster (left or right opening, depending on your final location of the gauge)
(borrowed image)

Reassemble the head unit and all its wiring, and replace trim.

Remove access cover on drivers side of the dash. Route the remaining T from the wiring harness through the dash to the access panel on the driver side.

Unplug the wire to the dimmer control. Plug the T from the wiring harness into the dimmer control, and plug the stock wire into the other side of the T.

Replace access panel.

Now, figure out where you are going to put the gauge on the cluster hood. Use the template included in the instructions, and drill the holes as instructed.

If you are placing the gauge on the left side as I did, cut out the template and reverse it onto the left side (remember, template is printed to be used on the right side.)

Attach the foam and bracket to the cluster hood as per instructions.

Replace the cluster, routing the tube and wiring through the void on either side of the cluster.

On the wiring harness, remove the light from the harness at the butt connectors (as shown in the previous pic with the cluster removed).

Route the light wire from the TOP of the cluster hood, through the larger hole drilled, plug back into harness.

Route tube from bottom of the hood to the top.
(borrowed pic)

Follow instructions to connect tube and light to the gauge.

Follow further instructions to attach gauge to the cluster hood.

Gauge is done. Back to the engine bay.

Detach vacuum hose from BPV. If you like, you can go to home depot, and buy a 2" length of tube, so that you don't have to cut your stock one. If you don't care, then...

Cut the tube 2 inches from the end.

Insert the T fitting that came with the kit. Attach the hoses.

Install the TMIC (make sure you haven't lost the rubber gasket between the BPV and IC ;) )

Fin.

Now, you should have this:

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: HowTo: SPT Boost Gauge install on 08 WRX
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:07:44 am »
Dood thats a fantastic write up, for more than one mod.

Couple of questions.

Do you think that we could jam a 4ga wire through that hole in the firewall with the boost hose?
How hard was it to remove the stock head unit, looks like there was only 2 wires on it, what about the clamps and such, did it just slide out?
How is the bracket on the new gauge, does it bounce when you are driving?

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:28:47 am »
Awesome work Cam!  Fantastic write-up.  However, I wish you actually did draw those tools in paint or something, that would have been hilarious.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:41:52 pm »
Dood thats a fantastic write up, for more than one mod.

Couple of questions.

Do you think that we could jam a 4ga wire through that hole in the firewall with the boost hose?
How hard was it to remove the stock head unit, looks like there was only 2 wires on it, what about the clamps and such, did it just slide out?
How is the bracket on the new gauge, does it bounce when you are driving?

Yes, you could fit a 4awg through that grommet. It would be difficult, me thinks, to get it routed down where you could access it, but it would be possible.

HU is held in by 4 screws. There are 5 plugs on the back. Ground, radio antenna, satellite antenna, Steering wheel controls (I would assume), and speakers. Once you remove the screws, it slides out about 6 inches. Additionally, there is the satellite receiver. 2 more screws. It has 2 plugs, gound and HU.

Bracket doesn't bounce at all. It's on there pretty tight. In fact, I had a little trouble twisting it to make the "SPT Boost" be horizontal. Because the cluster hood is angled at that location, SPT seems to want the gauge to go 90degrees to its mounting surface. Which means the gauge would actually be tilted about 35-40degrees from horizontal. My OCD wouldn't allow that.

And the gauge itself does not bounce. I have read reviews on 3g and nabisco where people said it bounces because it's a "cheap" gauge. I do not see any bouncing (at least, have not seen bouncing that is not cause by my foot on the gas pedal)

Awesome work Cam!  Fantastic write-up.  However, I wish you actually did draw those tools in paint or something, that would have been hilarious.

Revisions can be made ;)  I will take that under suggestion.

Offline STi_05

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 STi, 2011 LML Duramax, 2010 Nissan GT-R
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 11:27:08 pm »
looks good man exellent job and write up!
509WHP & 470WTQ
Lightspeed Built Stroker Block & Heads
Stock Location GTX35
Build Thread:http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=12397.0

Offline Sinz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2012 JKR
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:38:39 am »
Very nice writeup! One question though is (maybe I missed this part or misread, lots of people bugging me today) why did you unplug your clock?
There's no stopping the Frito Bandito

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41:24 am »
Very nice writeup! One question though is (maybe I missed this part or misread, lots of people bugging me today) why did you unplug your clock?

Quote from: Snackers
When unclipped, take the clock out, pull off the wire. Finally, we get to plug in the wiring harness that came with the kit. There are two "T" wires on the harness. They only fit one way. Plug the one that fits into the clock, into the clock. Then take the stock wire, and plug it into the other side of the T.

Because that's where the harness for the power/illumination/etc attaches.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 11:46:43 am »

Because that's where the harness for the power/illumination/etc attaches.

Exactly. Clock is always powered, regardless of whether or not your headlights are on. So this gives the gauge constant light. Without the light, you can't read the numbers even in daylight.
The other half of the harness goes to the dimmer switch by the drivers left knee.
Not quite sure why they just didnt tap into something there, since the fusebox is right there. But who am I to question Subaru's wiring mentality?

Offline wrex4

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
That's a great write up Cam! That gauge looks amazing, makes my pro sport look like...poo-sport? yah .. anyways... Now I want a better gauge! haha
"Be Charitable...Lift harder for those who cant"

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: HowTo: Install SPT Boost Gauge install on 08 WRX
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 01:56:29 pm »
That's a great write up Cam! That gauge looks amazing, makes my pro sport look like...poo-sport? yah .. anyways... Now I want a better gauge! haha

Thanks to all for the positive comments. Makes me glad that I did the write up.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 02:38:37 pm »
Great write-up. I patiently await your SPT oil cap how-to.

Offline wrex4

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:42 pm »
and battery tie down 8)
"Be Charitable...Lift harder for those who cant"