Author Topic: How to Data log  (Read 8676 times)

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
How to Data log
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:34:38 am »
This is an old post from about 2007.  Enginuity as been renamed to RomRaider, and the instructions provided below are for the Tactrix V1.3 cable.  I have no experience or knowledge on the V2.0 cable, or of SD card datalogging with that cable.  I have been given back the ownership of this post very recently since it was originally copied over from ASC by a former mod, and the formatting was a mess, and the information a few years old.  I will try my best to update this with more current links and procedures as time permits.

July 1 - OK, tried correcting the formatting at least.  There seems to be a bug with the modify tab that makes it impossible for me to highlight any text without the screen autoscrolling up and causing me to highlight a huge section of text that I did not intend on selecting.  I may have to cut/paste and edit this in word then cut/paste back.

I decided that I needed to make this thread because I am always suggesting that people pull some logs for their cars, without giving them any tools to do so. I don't think it is right of me to tell people that they need to do something, then leave them without any real knowledge of how to pursue my stated course of action. The end result is that people either don't bother to datalog, or Airboy gets a deluge of PM's.

Like my Subaru importation thread, I will use a FAQ format.

Why do I want to log?

The biggest reason for datalogging is that you want to make sure that the tune you are running is not knocking.  For 07 STi owners, there have been a lot of posts about the stock tune having a very long OL/CL delay, and risks knocking during the transition into full boost.  This will help you decide if this is happening for your car.  If you have recently had a dyno based pro-tune, then datalogs will confirm that your tune is performing on the street as it does under the conditions of the stationary dyno.

Another reason may be to confirm that your car is achieving it's boost targets, if you are using a Cobb OTS map.  Most Stage 2 OTS maps for the WRX and STI have normal, LWG, and HWG maps, in addition to the ACN version.  The logs will help you determine if you should run one or the other of these.  For example, if you fail to achieve the boost targets given by the map notes, then you would try the HWG map.  If you are overboosting, then you would switch to the LWG map.  Your AP live data, and boost gauge (if you have one) can be inaccurate, or slow to update, so you may not be able to see the true boost values the car is really seeing.  I like to know if my car is overboosting, and I want to make sure that the tune made for my car at 15 degrees is going to work when it is 20 below, or 30 above.

Otherwise, I tend to pull some logs when the weather changes, which around winter also means the arrival of winter gas, which tends to have less knock resistance.  The change in temperatures can also change your total timing since colder air usually means that your engine load is higher for a given atmospheric pressure, changing the timing called for by your map for a given rpm.

Pulling datalogs will give you an idea of what is actually happening with the ECU.  Eventually, you can quickly scan over a log and see that everything is either working as intended, or that the values are "off", and then analyze why that may be the case.

What do I need to datalog?

1. A Tactrix cable, which you can order online from www.tactrix.com
2. A laptop running Windows 2000 or XP. I'm sure it will work with Vista, but I can't verify this.
3. Enginuity logger - you can download this from www.enginuity.org.  The latest logger definitions are found here: http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?t=1642
4. A Subaru with an OBD2 port - the port is found on the undersurface of your steering column. Anyone who has used an AP will know what this is. If people don't know where to find this, I will take a pic and update this with the labelled pic later.
5. A safe stretch of closed road where you can wind up your Subaru from about 2000 rpm to just before redline (in WRX's in 3rd gear, in STi's in 4th gear).  There are ways of getting your AP V1 and V2 cables to log using ECUexplorer, but I don't want to get into it at this time. I am only going to give instructions for using a Tactrix cable with the Enginuity logger for now.

OK, so I have all of the above. I'm ready to go, how do I do it?

1. Plug the Tactrix cable into the OBD2 port of your car, and the USB port on the laptop. Turn the key to the "ON" position.
2. Launch Enginuity and select "Launch ECU Logger" from the logger toolbar. You will be greeted by a bunch of parameters on the left hand side. Just use the xml file included in the zip file to set up the parameters useful to log. These assume 3rd gear (WRX) or 4th gear (STi) pulls. Unzip that file somewhere you will remember, then in the Enginuity logger, go to --> File --> Load Profile --> point it to the xray_profile.xml included in the zip file. It will fill in the main window with a bunch of parameters. It should also include the Feedback Knock Correction* (degrees) and Fine Learning Knock Correction* (degrees) parameters, since these are crucial to detecting knock activity. I think these are only selectable if the Tactrix cable is plugged into the OBD2 port, so I can't check this now.
-engine speed (rpm)
-throttle position (%) - this is important if you want to use Airboy's Excel macro.
-Ignition timing
-Knock Correction
-Primary Wastegate duty cycle
-Manifold pressure (corrected) - this parameter will overcome the stock ECU 18.4 psi limit on its manifold relative pressure.  This will be important to those seeing more boost.  You can log Manifold relative pressure if your boost doesn't exceed 18.4 psi.
-engine load (g/rev) calculated
-Mass Air flow (g/sec)
-Mass Air flow voltage
-Feedback knock correction
-Fine learning knock correction

The parameters in red are useful if you are logging to determine if the car is seeing knock, especially the 2 at the bottom.

3. Set up a folder that you want the log files to be saved to. Go to --> Settings --> Log File Output Location. then find and select the folder you just made.4.  In the logger go to --> Settings --> Control File Logging with Defogger Switch needs to be ON, so you can start and stop logging with the rear defrost button.

5. Start up the car - some of the parameters will start filling in its current and min/max values. Kind of neat, but don't look at the parameters while you are driving, since I know of one case where a guy totalled his STI because he was looking at his laptop when he should have been watching the curves in the road ahead. You can always look at all the values after they have been saved to a log file, in the relative safety of your own home.

6. Activate the IAM parameter (Ignition Advance Multiplier) to confirm that it is 1.0 (for the 32 bit ECU, ie. any 2.5 L Subaru - someone fill me in if there are 2.0L Subarus with the 32 bit ECU). If you just reset your ECU, it will be at 0.5. If it isn't 1.0 and you didn't recently reset the ECU, ABORT! The ECU is unhappy and is seeing knock, and a lot of it. Stay out of boost, and get better fuel, then check the IAM again.

7. On your closed road, when you are ready to start saving a log file, activate the rear defrost. This will start saving all of the parameters you selected into a .csv file that you can look at later with excel. Turning off the rear defrost will signal the end of the log file. Bring the accelerator immediately to the floor and keep it planted. I usually start my pulls around 2000 rpm, and bring it above 6000 rpm. Do this a few times so you can get several log files to look through.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
Re: How to Data log
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:11:25 am »
That would make a lot more sense ...

Jeff
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline Klautt

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 05 STi -> Volvo V70R -> 09 WRX Hatchback.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:27:48 pm »
Slightly reformatted for easier reading. Sorry to bump old post but I refer to it.

I decided that I needed to make this thread because I am always suggesting that people pull some logs for their cars, without giving them any tools to do so. I don't think it is right of me to tell people that they need to do something, then leave them without any real knowledge of how to pursue my stated course of action. The end result is that people either don't bother to datalog, or Airboy gets a deluge of PM's.

Like my Subaru importation thread, I will use a FAQ format.

Why do I want to log?

The biggest reason for datalogging is that you want to make sure that the tune you are running is not knocking.  For 07 STi owners, there have been a lot of posts about the stock tune having a very long OL/CL delay, and risks knocking during the transition into full boost.  This will help you decide if this is happening for your car.  If you have recently had a dyno based pro-tune, then datalogs will confirm that your tune is performing on the street as it does under the conditions of the stationary dyno.

Another reason may be to confirm that your car is achieving it's boost targets, if you are using a Cobb OTS map.  Most Stage 2 OTS maps for the WRX and STI have normal, LWG, and HWG maps, in addition to the ACN version.  The logs will help you determine if you should run one or the other of these.  For example, if you fail to achieve the boost targets given by the map notes, then you would try the HWG map.  If you are overboosting, then you would switch to the LWG map.  Your AP live data, and boost gauge (if you have one) can be inaccurate, or slow to update, so you may not be able to see the true boost values the car is really seeing.  I like to know if my car is overboosting, and I want to make sure that the tune made for my car at 15 degrees is going to work when it is 20 below, or 30 above.

Otherwise, I tend to pull some logs when the weather changes, which around winter also means the arrival of winter gas, which tends to have less knock resistance.  The change in temperatures can also change your total timing since colder air usually means that your engine load is higher for a given atmospheric pressure, changing the timing called for by your map for a given rpm.

Pulling datalogs will give you an idea of what is actually happening with the ECU.  Eventually, you can quickly scan over a log and see that everything is either working as intended, or that the values are "off", and then analyze why that may be the case.

What do I need to datalog?
1. A Tactrix cable, which you can order online from www.tactrix.com
2. A laptop running Windows 2000 or XP. I'm sure it will work with Vista, but I can't verify this.
3. Enginuity logger - you can download this from www.enginuity.org.  The latest logger definitions are found here: http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?t=1642
4. A Subaru with an OBD2 port - the port is found on the undersurface of your steering column. Anyone who has used an AP will know what this is. If people don't know where to find this, I will take a pic and update this with the labelled pic later.
5. A safe stretch of closed road where you can wind up your Subaru from about 2000 rpm to just before redline (in WRX's in 3rd gear, in STi's in 4th gear).

There are ways of getting your AP V1 and V2 cables to log using ECUexplorer, but I don't want to get into it at this time. I am only going to give instructions for using a Tactrix cable with the Enginuity logger for now.

OK, so I have all of the above. I'm ready to go, how do I do it?

1. Plug the Tactrix cable into the OBD2 port of your car, and the USB port on the laptop. Turn the key to the "ON" position.

2. Launch Enginuity and select "Launch ECU Logger" from the logger toolbar. You will be greeted by a bunch of parameters on the left hand side. Just use the xml file included in the zip file to set up the parameters useful to log. These assume 3rd gear (WRX) or 4th gear (STi) pulls. Unzip that file somewhere you will remember, then in the Enginuity logger, go to --> File --> Load Profile --> point it to the xray_profile.xml included in the zip file. It will fill in the main window with a bunch of parameters. It should also include the Feedback Knock Correction* (degrees) and Fine Learning Knock Correction* (degrees) parameters, since these are crucial to detecting knock activity. I think these are only selectable if the Tactrix cable is plugged into the OBD2 port, so I can't check this now.
-engine speed (rpm)
-throttle position (%) - this is important if you want to use Airboy's Excel macro.
-Ignition timing
-Knock Correction
-Primary Wastegate duty cycle
-Manifold pressure (corrected) - this parameter will overcome the stock ECU 18.4 psi limit on its manifold relative pressure.  This will be important to those seeing more boost.  You can log Manifold relative pressure if your boost doesn't exceed 18.4 psi.
-engine load (g/rev) calculated
-Mass Air flow (g/sec)
-Mass Air flow voltage
-Feedback knock correction
-Fine learning knock correction

The parameters in red are useful if you are logging to determine if the car is seeing knock, especially the 2 at the bottom.

3. Set up a folder that you want the log files to be saved to. Go to --> Settings --> Log File Output Location. then find and select the folder you just made.4.  In the logger go to --> Settings --> Control File Logging with Defogger Switch needs to be ON, so you can start and stop logging with the rear defrost button.

5. Start up the car - some of the parameters will start filling in its current and min/max values. Kind of neat, but don't look at the parameters while you are driving, since I know of one case where a guy totalled his STI because he was looking at his laptop when he should have been watching the
curves in the road ahead. You can always look at all the values after they have been saved to a log file, in the relative safety of your own home.

6. Activate the IAM parameter (Ignition Advance Multiplier) to confirm that it is 1.0 (for the 32 bit ECU, ie. any 2.5 L Subaru - someone fill me in if there are 2.0L Subarus with the 32 bit ECU). If you just reset your ECU, it will be at 0.5. If it isn't 1.0 and you didn't recently reset the ECU, ABORT! The ECU is unhappy and is seeing knock, and a lot of it. Stay out of boost, and get better fuel, then check the IAM again.

7. On your closed road, when you are ready to start saving a log file, activate the rear defrost. This will start saving all of the parameters you selected into a .csv file that you can look at later with excel. Turning off the rear defrost will signal the end of the log file. Bring the accelerator immediately to the floor and keep it planted. I usually start my pulls around 2000 rpm, and bring it above 6000 rpm. Do this a few times so you can get several log files to look through.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »
Great bump, I'm just going to sticky this :)

Offline jpapa

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 07 WRB STI stg 2
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:41:00 am »
can you help me out data logging from an accessport? for some reason (and i feel dumb saying this) i can not figure it out??

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 11:50:14 am »
If you have a recent enough firmware on your AP.

Then it should be as simple as going to view the live data, and then hitting the center button to start/stop the log.

You can select what data you want to log on the device.

You can see/download the log files in the AccessPort Manager.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:56:24 am »
Anyone have a copy of said "xray_profile.xml"?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline redevil

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • redevil's Car Domain
  • Ride: '11 Acura RDX Tech Pkg
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:55:54 pm »
subscribed!   ;)

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »
This is a really old post I made, from the days when RomRaider was still called Enginuity, and WSC was called ASC ;)

I haven't bothered to do any datalogging recently since someone has borrowed my Tactrix cable, and I have no idea who it was or where it went.  I assume most of the info is still accurate.

I believe there is also learning view now, which gives a snapshot of knock activity and IAM.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:17:13 pm »
If I can get ownership back, I can edit and make the necessary corrections.

That way we can point people here instead of the old forum.

This is a really old post I made, from the days when RomRaider was still called Enginuity, and WSC was called ASC ;)

I haven't bothered to do any datalogging recently since someone has borrowed my Tactrix cable, and I have no idea who it was or where it went.  I assume most of the info is still accurate.

I believe there is also learning view now, which gives a snapshot of knock activity and IAM.

Do you still want thread ownership back for editing? Let me know, and I can do so / clean it up.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

D-cal

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »
Should this thread be in Engine Management instead of Impreza?

Also, previous Tactrix SD datalogging discussion:
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=12884

Logging to the Tactrix SD card is insanely convenient. Plug your tactrix in, it logs everything while you drive for enough hours to dump all the logs, digest them and build your next tune. Flash and repeat.

Writing a config file has come a long way. You can use this web based tool:
http://www.verticaltier.net/configtool/logger.php

Or you can use this EXE version:
http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4396

I found that the web tool a) doesn't add the units to the parameter name, b) fluffed a couple of the memory var types resulting in useless logs. The EXE version did both correctly, but both tools are simple to use. I made a few different configs and just store them on the root of the SD card in the Tactrix, renaming them to logcfg.txt for whatever type of logging I am doing at the time.

The default config will have the defroster button as the start/end trigger for logging. If you want it to just log whenever the car is running, delete all the trigger crap.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:35:07 am »
I don't mind if this gets moved, and if you want me to update it with the latest info I will as time permits.  Like I said, I am well out of the loop, don't even have my Tactrix cable anymore, and have not kept up with how things have changed with Romraider and Tactrix 2.0.  Until a few days ago, I could not even fix the formatting or anything on the original post, since it was moved over from the old forum in haste by a former mod, and never really looked at anymore.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:00 am »
Any tips or tricks for those of us with 1.3?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

D-cal

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:45:57 am »
Any tips or tricks for those of us with 1.3?

This and the two links at the top of the first post will likely tell you everything you need to know.
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6156

If you have any specific questions, fire away.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 11:33:44 am »
Here's another useful thread from the same author, broadened my understanding quite a bit:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5384

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »
I posted this in a separate thread, but figured it should be in here as well.  The V.2 AP firmware is much, much, much more useful now and there are a ton of new parameters to select from.

Firmware notes

Offline nillz

• Stubbly Faced
  • need a bit more lovey!?!?
  • Ride: 2011 subaru Sti
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 08:58:50 pm »
with my data log when i put it in the computer it shows my logs are only like 20 rows long on the excel, and when doing them for my roommates car it comes up with 200 rows for his log is this normal for my car?.