Author Topic: What is there to do in Vancouver?  (Read 11123 times)

Offline BDL Motorsports

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • http://www.bdlmotorsports.com
Re: What is there to do in Vancouver?
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 04:48:41 pm »
Lots to see on the Island too. :)

Vancouver also has gardens, ie: Van Dusen Botanical Garden in case you run out of time to go further afield.

Butchart Gardens is near Victoria, I believe... which is a pretty town to gawk at. Can have high tea at the Empress and stuff like that.

Ya, the ferry would tie up a decent day but Victoria would be included......  Van Dusen could be good back up plans. thanks.

Brian

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 05:59:59 am »
Have fun Brian, I wish I could go on another trip to Vancouver.

Me too.. I haven't been since last August.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline BDL Motorsports

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • http://www.bdlmotorsports.com
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 07:58:40 am »
I was there in the spring when I came through bring home my C6 Z06 from California.... never can get ( enjoy ) too much Vancouver...... well, if it is raining then that is too much.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2014, 08:47:03 pm »
Bumpity.

Heading out to Vancouver/Richmond for 4 days before the bun is due..  Looking to maybe step outside our comfort zone.  What's good to eat there (typically we go with the traditional Shanghai XLB, and wonton noodles)?  No raw fish, wifey can't do it.  I head there's an amazerling Brazilian BBQ place, as well as some fine Korean BBQ to be had.  Any recommendations of outstanding ones?

I myself need to venture to Nandos and get some more sauce, but other than that..  schedule is pretty much wide open.  Staying at the Radisson by the train station.

Thanks
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 03:55:54 pm »
My sister, who lives in Vancouver, gave me a list of suggestions for places to eat. I've passed this list on to friends who have gone recently and the feedback has been all positive.

Davie St:
Lolitas - A hipster Mexican place that has amazing drinks/food with super cool decor. Tequila caesars and raspberry mojitos are crazy good.
Cafe Luxy - Great classic pasta place

Main St:
Locus - one of my favorite places in all of Vancouver. The drinks are fantastic, food is ridiculously good, and the decor there is so gorgeous. Definitely my favorite!! Best grilled cheese I have ever had, wild boar poutine, seared scallop salad, blackened halibut sandwich… so good.
The Whiphouse - good pub food.

Gastown:
Peckinpah - barbeque/southern but with a hipster twist. Bourban caesars, brisket sandwich with hushpuppies, comes with mango honey butter, so good.
Cafe Medina - best brunch in Vancouver but you have to be prepared to wait in line.
Incendio - Crazy good pizza place
Guilt and Co - Right under Chill Winston’s. It has jazz there most nights and a board game menu; such a cool environment. The jerky caesars are the best in town.

Yaletown:
Rodney’s Oyster House - I don't even like oysters and I love this place. The seafood is really delicious and it is constantly voted best in Van for its oysters. The caesars come with massive prawns on them. Can get pretty busy.
(Other than that you can avoid Yaletown, everything else is just same old same old).

Commercial St:
The red dragon - Smoked salmon benny, short rib and brie sandwich, duck confit pancakes with a poached egg… ya it’s good.
Biercraft Tap house - great tapas and in such a cool neighborhood (commercial and 1st, love it, reminds me of Victoria actually)

Other delicious places you probably have been:
Burgoo - cheese and bread galore, yummy.
Naam - Best veggie place in Van
Eatery - coolest sushi place (have to recommend the Fat Elvis: tempura avocado)
Japadog – cause it is just so fricken Vancouver.

Favorite sushi place:
Q Q – Broadway Granville area.

Have fun.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:37 pm »
The auditors that came by earlier this week had this event on their calendar: "Fly Over Canada".  I'd never heard about it before, but I checked out their website, and it actually sounds kind of cool.  Might drag my fiancée out there some day, if I ever feel the hankering (*snicker*) to travel downtown.  :P
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:09 am »
The auditors that came by earlier this week had this event on their calendar: "Fly Over Canada".  I'd never heard about it before, but I checked out their website, and it actually sounds kind of cool.  Might drag my fiancée out there some day, if I ever feel the hankering (*snicker*) to travel downtown.  :P

Went with friends. It's a neat experience. Not cheap for how short it is, but I enjoyed it.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2015, 11:15:29 pm »
My sister, who lives in Vancouver, gave me a list of suggestions for places to eat. I've passed this list on to friends who have gone recently and the feedback has been all positive.

Hey Zaider, does she have an updated list?  We're heading out with Adri this week for a few days...

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Vtec1

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2012
  • Ride: 18' GLE400
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2015, 11:27:27 pm »
I rather spend my money at Seattle.. YVR sucks..   :o
Money In the Bank, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2016, 09:37:30 am »
Bump, any suggestions on reasonably priced hotels to stay at that are not out in the boonies.  Richmond is good, lots of good places to grab a quick bite to eat and I know my way around pretty good.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2016, 05:31:06 pm »
How many days? If I had to stay in a hotel in the past I almost always chose the Westin Wall Centre, pretty cheap prices since it's less convenient than other hotels (it's like right in the middle between Bridgeport skytrain station and Aberdeen station, so you'll have to walk to either). They have a free shuttle to the airport, a nice gym and pool, and you can probably get a higher up room with a decent view if you just ask in the email/booking preference box.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2016, 12:12:38 am »
I've taken to staying at the Radisson across from Aberdeen. it's on #3 and Cambie, walking distance to the Canada line train.  With a 2yo kid it's a heckuvalot more convenient to get to than Four Points (where we used to stay).  Stay high enough and the trains and pedestrian traffic noises won't even bother you.

There's a good place in the attached food court in President Plaza for breakfast called O'Tray.

https://www.zomato.com/vancouver/otray-central-richmond-richmond/menu#tabtop

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:36 am »
I've taken to staying at the Radisson across from Aberdeen. it's on #3 and Cambie, walking distance to the Canada line train.  With a 2yo kid it's a heckuvalot more convenient to get to than Four Points (where we used to stay).  Stay high enough and the trains and pedestrian traffic noises won't even bother you.

There's a good place in the attached food court in President Plaza for breakfast called O'Tray.

https://www.zomato.com/vancouver/otray-central-richmond-richmond/menu#tabtop

Oh nice, I will have to check that out.  We decided to try Airbnb, found a good one in Olympic Village for a lot cheaper that the hotels were going for, so it will be easy to go to a few places we want to hit up this time.  Richmond will be a little bit of a drive but at least it is straight down oak or knight st.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2016, 11:19:35 am »
Oh nice, I will have to check that out.  We decided to try Airbnb, found a good one in Olympic Village for a lot cheaper that the hotels were going for, so it will be easy to go to a few places we want to hit up this time.  Richmond will be a little bit of a drive but at least it is straight down oak or knight st.

Let me know how that works out for you. I was super close to pulling the trigger last time I went, but chickened out and got a cheap hotel instead.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2016, 04:25:20 pm »
I used Airbnb in Toronto and Sydney, Australia.. both worked out really well.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/2310459
https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/11023378

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »
Was it cheaper than a hotel?
In Van any of the ones I could find (admittedly on short notice) were about the same cost. They might have been nicer than the hotel I got, but seemed like such a crapshoot.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:21 am »
Yeah..  the biggest thing for us was that there was a kitchen in the suite.  When travelling with a kid we have found that the extra utility provided by having a kitchen was indispensable.

In Sydney it was cheaper than a hotel in the same area by about 30%, and in Toronto the one we picked was close to the subway and also our relative's place.  there weren't any other hotels in the general area we could have picked from.  So it's a bit about location too.

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2016, 11:33:47 pm »
I can get you discounted rooms at fairmont. Theres 4 properties in vancouver, as well as the empress and whistler
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2016, 02:11:09 pm »
Was it cheaper than a hotel?
In Van any of the ones I could find (admittedly on short notice) were about the same cost. They might have been nicer than the hotel I got, but seemed like such a crapshoot.

We are not going till september so we have quite a bit of time and it is not peak traveling season.  the one we picked also has a lot of good reviews so hopefully it works out.  The price was a bit cheaper than the hotels I was looking at originally even after the cleaning fees.  It will be nice change to stay near downtown for once instead of Richmond.  Also have a kitchen will be nice as well.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2016, 02:13:01 pm »
Ah cool. Yeah, I was trying to book on thursday for a friday arrival on a long weekend. no favors there.