Author Topic: UFC 98 - Predictions  (Read 1540 times)

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
UFC 98 - Predictions
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:47:01 am »
I know there are some MMA fans here that will be watching UFC 98.
Fight Card:
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=2001

Rashad Evans Vs. Lyoto Machida
Hmm where to start.
I don't peticularly care for either fighter. I don't like Rashad's attitude/antics, and I don't like Lyoto's "Style". I have said it before in other threads that Lyoto has made for some of the most boring fights I have watched in UFC. His counter attack only style makes it very boring when another fighter bases his game plan on waiting for Lyoto to attack. Because he rarely goes on the offensive unless he has already countered and has his opponent hurt.
Now don't get me wrong his "style" wins fights and he takes little to no damage which is amazing. But really, it is very boring sometimes.
Rashad, no matter what you think of him is an entertaining fighter (if you exclude the Ortiz fight)
Personally I will be happy with seeing either fighter come out with an L. (cup half empty :P )
The way I see things going; Is that Rashad will wait on an attack from Lyoto that just won't come. And will be inticed into Lyoto's counter attacks and picked appart. Now, Rashad obviously has one hit KO power but I think with Lyoto's top notch back peddling ability, he will stay away from too much of Rashad's damage standing up. Lyoto will be very hard to get on the ground, but with Rashad's wrestling ability I think ground and pound is probably his best option if he can soften him up to be able to take him down.

I would like to see Rashad win simply because he is the more entertaining fighter. Lyoto is just more technical and precise and I think Lyoto will win by decision or late KO.

Matt Hughes Vs. Matt Serra
Not for a title, not segnificant to rankings in any real way because I doubt we will see either fighter get close to reaching the top again.
BUT. If you are a true UFC fan, THIS is the main event.
This is the fight I have been waiting to see sense TUF.
Another thing I have no shame in saying is that I really don't like Hughes. Litterally the day after Hughes lost to GSP in fight 3 I was staying in Wisconsin, and the Mall of America was having a book signing for Hughes. I was going to show up to get my GSP Affliction shirt signed by Hughes, but my flight left an hour before the book signing started.
Anyways back on topic. I dispise the stunty NYC oucheday Serra even more. Never mind the TKO win over GSP, just watching the TUF series with Hughes and Serra as coaches made me want to see this match up even more.
I see a second round submission by Hughes. I want to see the submission held for a little longer than needed. ALA Babalu vs Dave Heath in UFC 74.

Some of the other fights I am not all that interested in, but some of the undercards seem more interesting. I am not all that happy about Huston Alexander breaking his hand. I wanted to see him fight again in hopes that his ground game had improved.

Sean Sherk Vs. Frank Edgar
Not peticularly interested in this fight either, I don't mind edgar but I find most of Sherk's fights boring as well. Most of them turn into the "Sean Sherk take down show".

Phillipe Nover Vs. Kyle Bradley
Krzysztof Soszynski Vs. Andre Gusmao
Those should both end up being entertaining fights. Usually it's the undercard fighters that end up putting on the best shows anyways.