Author Topic: Skateboarding Thread  (Read 6393 times)

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
Skateboarding Thread
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:14:49 am »
I know there's a few of you on this forum. Unfortunately, I don't get to skate as much as I used to and being "older" (as some people may suggest), it's not a very forgiving sport on my body anymore. *Sigh*

Here's the living legend Rodney Mullen - there's no one more technical and graceful in my opinion. Makes me wish I still had my old Powell Peralta freestyle board.

Danny Way - The Ken Block of the skateboarding world IMO, or is KB the Danny Way of the car world? :)

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • testing, testing, 1,2,3...!
    • Shane
  • Ride: 2018 WRB STi and 2000 JDM Forester STi
Re: Skateboarding Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:42:49 am »
thanks Tony, that reeaally takes me back.

the street is where i played most of my game, but when I had the chance there was an indoor park on 124th or something just north of Jasper Ave that was sick... I was all about the big air! That second vid was wicked!

...now however, I too am limited to my 'abilities'

;)

FS: 2014 BMW 320i x-drive 2.0 turbo awd. PM for details

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:46:40 am »
thanks Tony, that reeaally takes me back.

the street is where i played most of my game, but when I had the chance there was an indoor park on 124th or something just north of Jasper Ave that was sick... I was all about the big air! That second vid was wicked!

...now however, I too am limited to my 'abilities'

;)

CENTURY SKATEPARK!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!  Hot damn, I probably met you over 15 years ago and didn't even know it!

I was a street guy too but never shied away from vert whenever I could find it.  I still remember frequenting The Inside Edge when I was younger, man those were the days.

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:57:58 am »
Oh!!!!!  How could I forget the Grand Poobah of all skateboarding movies?  It's only part one and the rest of it can be found on YouTube of course.  ;)

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 11:58:12 am »
Here's the living legend Rodney Mullen - there's no one more technical and graceful in my opinion

I agree with you Tony, Rodney Mullen has always had the freshest style when it comes to street skating. He really only requires a 5 square foot area to keep himself occupied...lol
What's Green and says " I'm a Frog "?

A talking Frog......

:-/

Sean

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:59:51 am »
I have an original skull skates coffin board I got in Van last year, and we just got one for Jo. Both rigged up with wide longboard trucks and big soft wheels. Not a speed combo but much easier to just ride than a trick skate. We also have two longboards and I have brand new trick set up that I'm too scared to ride for reasons you guys mentioned.

Have you guys ever tried longboarding? Much easier on our not-so-youth bodies. I'd be totally down for a cruise when I'm in the city!!

Weather is finally good Jo is excited to ride her new board tonight. :)

And as far as the vids - rodney mullen never gets old, nollie mannys to 3 flips, dark and capser slides oh my :o

Edit: oh yeah, thanks to Easy Rider for the new coffin deck and some sweet new wheels and bearings. :D

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:03 pm »
I know a lot of people who dislike Rodney Mullen because he doesn't look as cool as a lot of "new skaters"; but without him, skateboarding would be a totally different sport.  You gotta give him props for that at least.

No, I'm a shortplanker myself.  I've never really liked longboarding but am willing to try it again.

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 12:06:37 pm »
I know a lot of people who dislike Rodney Mullen because he doesn't look as cool as a lot of "new skaters"; but without him, skateboarding would be a totally different sport.  You gotta give him props for that at least.

No, I'm a shortplanker myself.  I've never really liked longboarding but am willing to try it again.
In my opinion Rodney Mullen is a pioneer of skating, He opened the door to so much when he started his technical freestyle. Mad props to him for that!

A talking Frog......

Sean

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 12:06:55 pm »
Tony, I'm in Edmonton a lot; if you want I'll bring all my boards I have a few different styles you can try out!

You probably know some good trails there and Jo and I would love to rip up E-town. 

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Shane
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 12:11:14 pm »
The search for animal chin... wow, I remember that... and yea, that was the park... too funny.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:34:39 pm »
I tried to get into skateboarding in high school, but never was very good at it.

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »
Poser! :D

A talking Frog......

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:01 pm »
That's way too funny Shane!

No room for poseurs here!  SK8 or Die muthatrucka!!!!!

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:50 pm »
That's way too funny Shane!

No room for poseurs here!  SK8 or Die muthatrucka!!!!!
This thread got me thinking......Why don't I skate anymore?.....So after work I'm hittin Farside!!

A talking Frog......

Stedenko

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »
I grew up on Animal Chin and the Bones Brigade. I love that stuff.

I'm 34 and I still hit Millenium Park in Calgary once and a while. There are some "old" dudes who go early on Saturday mornings before people show up. Skateboarding is awesome conditioning for snowboarding too.

If there are any old skaters in Calgary who want to go sometime, I'm in. I'm planning on skating a bit this summer.

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Shane
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 03:59:24 pm »
I grew up on Animal Chin and the Bones Brigade. I love that stuff.

I'm 34 and I still hit Millenium Park in Calgary once and a while. There are some "old" dudes who go early on Saturday mornings before people show up. Skateboarding is awesome conditioning for snowboarding too.

If there are any old skaters in Calgary who want to go sometime, I'm in. I'm planning on skating a bit this summer.
haha... 'old'

I'd be down for some Saturday morning fun with the oldies... I'll fit right in.

Do they have EMS on site...
lol.

Offline dekay

• Patchy Faced
  • 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, Cosworth EJ257
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 04:14:06 pm »
I still BMX, am 35, and over 6 feet. I may look ridiculous on my bike but I love it.

I am often at Millennium, especially early mornings (way less people), in fact I will be their tomorrow. First ride at Millennium of the season!

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Shane
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 04:23:27 pm »
So should we get a little subie Sk8 meet going... little last minute but anyone interested I'd head out to Millennium for about 9:30 for a hour or two to shred the pavement... or my knees.

Stedenko

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »
So should we get a little subie Sk8 meet going... little last minute but anyone interested I'd head out to Millennium for about 9:30 for a hour or two to shred the pavement... or my knees.

I'd be in, but I have to be home at 10am tomorrow due to old guy family responsibilities. Normally I wouldn't have to. I'd go earlier if anyone wants to get up a bit early. I could get there by 8. I know 8 is pretty crappy on a Saturday but 1. nobody will be there, and 2. I'll get home on time.

Offline dekay

• Patchy Faced
  • 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, Cosworth EJ257
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »
I am there from 8:00am tomorrow!

The earlier the better as you get the whole park for yourself.

Neonboy

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 06:54:00 pm »
Mullen is the skateboarding god as far as I'm concerned.  I used to skate once upon a time as well, now I'm too old for that, plus I mountain bike now mostly.  Mullen has been my favorite since the original Plan B.  He doesn't get nearly enough credit for his accomplishments.

Stedenko

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:08 pm »
I am there from 8:00am tomorrow!

The earlier the better as you get the whole park for yourself.

Ok cool, I'll be there too at 8am. I'll be wearing a white helmet with a sticker of a fat guy doing a bellyflop. My real name is Dustin.

Offline betterstolen

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2012 SWP WRX
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »
man brings back memories although you guys would make fun of me saying that as I'm 21 ha ha. i use to skate back in like grade 8 had a blast but was never really good at it watching that Mullen video made me wish i still had a board.
 when i get a new tire on my bike after the crescent hill destroyed it last summer ill come out with you guys one morning!

Offline icenemesis

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
    • Black Atlas Creative
  • Ride: '04 WRB STi
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 08:25:31 pm »
I still do, well when I have time... unfortunately that is less and less as of late. But if anyone in Saskatoon is up for it, I wanna go!
Brandon Mack
Black Atlas Creative
blackatlascreative.com
www.twitter.com/blackatlas
www.instagram.com/blackatlascreative

Stedenko

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 08:26:26 pm »
So Wingless, are you going to suck it up and get up early and join us?  :D