Author Topic: Anyone been to Japan?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline bolt

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 WRX + 1999 Forester S
Anyone been to Japan?
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:44 pm »
The wife and I are heading over to Tokyo at the end of June (we got tickets for for $400CDN and that is return and after taxes! check out nwa.com if you are interested, super good deal). I'm wondering if anyone has been to Japan and has some advice for some white kids who can't speak a word of japanese...

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Anyone been to Japan?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »
tabehodai = all you can eat
nomihodai - all you can drink.

Everything work seeing is often within walking distance of a train station.

Yokohama is cool, and Kawasaki has a pretty interesting temple (its on the way).

If you can swing it try and see Nikko (World Heritage Site).
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • I'm not negative, I'm realistic!
  • Ride: 2016 CWP STi
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:52:47 pm »
Just got back a month ago. How long are you going for?  We particularly enjoyed Nikko, Kyoto and Nara. I really wish we had more time for Kyoto-when we go back we will be visiting there again. Be prepared for it to be hot! Was getting warm at the end of April already. Travelling within Japan was fairly expensive, hotels were okay(business hotel-about $80 a night) but the Shikansen tickets were expensive (bullet train) I think we spent a few hundred each on those. We also went to Koyasan which was neat as it was small and not too touristy (is the birth place of buddhism in Japan) but it is sort of out of the way.

Buy a Pasmo-will make your life much easier, it is a reloadable card for the train, you just wave it in front of the gates and it deducts however much it needs to-way easier than tickets all the time.

If you go to Nikko stay in a Ryokan (traditional Japanese hotel) we stayed there and in a temple and it was some of the best food I have ever eaten-amazing. We had a lot of fun in Nikko, lots to see and small enough you can walk around. Stuff there though closes early. Ryokan for one night and the train tickets to Nikko were about $700 for the two of us but was amazing. Glad I went there.  There is lake on the top of the moutain too that is kind of neat to walk around, big waterfall.

Lots to do in Tokyo too. I did get a little templed out though, temples and shrines are everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

Food is either hit or miss too, either really really good or very bad. I personally did not find food that expensive there but eat lots of beef before you go because there is not much of it there and what is there is not very good.

Oh, we also went to Enoshima, which is a day trip from Tokyo and really not too far, it was really neat also. It is out by the ocean and had a bunch of temples and eagles flying around. Was pretty neat being on the Ocean I though, I really liked it.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:22:55 am »
I forgot to mention Kamakura.  It has an awesome beach, tonnes fo fantastic Ryokans (a must do) and Japan's oldest temple (8th Century).

It isn't as huge but if you can try to get to a hot spring or traditional japanese bath.  I reccomend a split male/female, unless you have a thing for old grannies.  Its an extremely Japanese experience, but not for the faint of heart.

Offline Mr. Wheeler

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon Airboy tuned Stage 0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:01:24 am »
Been there as well!  I was in Tokyo staying in the Shinjuku prefecture.  It's near one of the main train stations so my brother and I were able to get around to all sorts of places.  Harajuku, Roppongi (watch yourself there!), Yokohama, Shibuya (just outside this station is a plaza with a bunch of shopping areas and the famous 109 building.  You see this plaza/square frequently used in movies)...

There are so many places to check out and see.  All the malls are located in high rise buildings.  They don't have room for the two storey mall complexes we have at home and check out the plinko gambling dens! 

Just be sure to buy a guide book before you go so that you can really schedule out where you want to go and see.  There's so much and you can nail a lot of stuff if you plan your train stations right. 

Japanese people are very polite; even if they don't speak English they'll still try to help you.  I noticed that girls tend to be more approachable then the men.  Shyness is prevalent in their society and many that can speak English, are embarrassed about how well they speak it.  So communication can be difficult.  On the other hand some just want an excuse to practice so it can go both ways if you approach someone.  Some will actually come over and help you even if you don't ask if they see you looking at a map.  The one guy that helped me and my bro ended up being a bum in need of some money.  He was helpful and I gave him 5 bucks.  Another time a cute girl wondered over to us while were were checking out our map of the subway to see what station we wanted to get to and what line it was on.   

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:04 am »
Man Plinko is a like a plague on Japan there. It was ridiculous, people lined up outside in the morning waiting to open and the noise that would spew forth when those doors opened, man, I don't know how people sit in there for hours and hours. I asked my brother if we should play a round just to say we did it and he said in 9 years of living there he had never set foot in one of those places.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:02:54 am »
nwa..  blocked from work.

maybe they think it's "n*ggaz with attitude."

boo :(
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
  • Ride: 2012 2.0i Sport Wagon, and big white box with blinky lights.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 11:13:11 am »
Sumimasen, wakarimasen. Eigo-o hanashimasu-ka?

Translation: I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you speak English?
===========
A filthy Subaru is a happy Subaru.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 11:18:22 am »
Or in Tokyo area...

e-to... zen zen wakkattanai yo.  Eigo o hanashitte-ka?

Darn, its tough to write the small "tsu" in romaji.

Don't forget

Canada-jin, america-jin da nai yo! (while emphatically pointing at one's chest)

Offline bolt

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 01:09:43 pm »
Awesome, thanks guys. Yah we are going for 12 days and don't have anything planned yet. We just booked our tickets and are stoked. I'm definitely going to look more into everything mentioned above and pick up a travel book as well. Thanks also for telling me how to say "I only speak english". I'm sure as soon as i try to stutter out any word in japanese, they will get the idea. But it's always a lot more respectful to at least attempt to try and speak their language

Offline Mr. Wheeler

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon Airboy tuned Stage 0
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 07:34:37 pm »
Like the food? Say: go-she so sama!
Loosely translated:

"The food was vey good sir"

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:25 am »
Or in Tokyo area...

e-to... zen zen wakkattanai yo.  Eigo o hanashitte-ka?

Darn, its tough to write the small "tsu" in romaji.

Don't forget

Canada-jin, america-jin da nai yo! (while emphatically pointing at one's chest)

ROFL!

translation, for those who're curious:

"Uhm, I don't understand a thing! Do you speak English?"

and

"I'm Canadian, *NOT* American!!"
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:06:58 pm »
It was my experience that that Japanese didn't really care where you were from? I really didn't get the impression that they would treat you any different if they were to find out you were American. We certainly didn't have to go around and be "proud to be Canadian" in order to get help or assistance, in fact I think where we were from only came up in one conversation.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 08:55:33 am »
We certainly didn't have to go around and be "proud to be Canadian" in order to get help or assistance, in fact I think where we were from only came up in one conversation.

Things are a wee bit different around the US Naval bases ;)

Offline bionicbadger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 12:36:22 pm »
Go to Kyoto for at least a few days.  There is far more to see there than in Tokyo.

When in Tokyo, make sure you go to Tsukiji fish market if you like sea food (if you go early in the morning 5-5:30am, you can see the tuna auction)
If you plan on travelling outside of tokyo, you might want to get a JR (train) pass.  You can use it in tokyo on the JR lines too, but its not worth it just for traveling around the city.

Aside from Kyoto which is a must see.  Other interesting places to visit:
Kamakura, Nara, Hiroshima, you may like to experience a Japanese hot spring in Atami, Hakone, Izu area

Don't worry that much about language.  Tourist places have pamphlets/signs in English, so do train stations and bus stops.

Offline texasnick

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 11:26:09 am »
I lived in Yokohama for 4 years.  How long are you going for?  What do you like to do/see on vacation? Party? Sights? Temples? Food?

And remember to stay away from the American soldiers while you're there.  Most of them are dicks.

If you have any questions about Tokyo/Yokohama PM me, or ask me in this thread.  I'll check it every once in a while.

I will say, however, no car enthusiast should leave Japan without going to a cafe/tunershop called Mooneyes.  I think there are a few of them in Tokyo, but there are some seriously cool cars there usually...and not what you would expect either.

have fun!  I wish I was going.  I have to finish the car first though.

edit:  Don't worry a bit about the language thing.  You'll be fine.  Especially in the cities.

I DEFINITELY recommend staying in a Japanese style hotel at least once while you are there.  They're called Ryokans, and they kick assay compared to western hotels IMO.
Steve McQueen

Offline bolt

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 06:14:15 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice/thoughts/ideas for Japan. Right now I am planning on staying in Tokyo the whole time and then do a few day trips to Kyoto, Hiroshima, Izu, and maybe a few other places. Not sure if day trips are the smartest way to do it so we'll see.

I am primarily going to check out the urban vibe, technology and sushi. With 12 days there, i think i do want to get out of Tokyo a bit and see the rest of Japan and some smaller places. Plus someone just posted that they opened up an STi museum  :)

I think we are going try and stay at a Ryokan for at least a portion of the time and hit up some hot springs as well.

Thanks again for all your input, i might bug a few of you with more questions once i am a little more planned and prepared.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 11:10:50 pm »
You should really plan a night over at a Kamakura Ryokan and a Nikko Ryokan.  I think you'll find that rush "hour" will cause you to quickly rethink your day trip plans.

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 12:31:16 am »
We did not find rush hour to be that different from Calgary?? I really thought the trains were going to be much worse-and I have issues with public transit.

I would think you would be better to plan a week of trips rather then doing day trips or you will be spending a lot on train tickets. You need to figure a path and go around to the places you want based on direction or you will find once you get somewhere you will not have a lot of time to spend there.

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 11:27:28 pm »
Oh another tip is to take some medicine with you-stuff for headaches, allergies and maybe some cold medicine. I caught a cold while I was in Japan and the cold medicine there sucks big time!  We were at a pharmacy and the guy gives me a bottle with 90 pills in it, I was like "Um do you have anything smaller?"  It had 90 pills in it because you had to take 12 pills a day-4 pills 3 X per day!! That bottle was only enough for 8 days!
Man what I wouldn't of given for a Sinutab or two. The over the counter meds are totally weak assay. I had a sore throat and stuffed up sinuses and the pharmicist told me "that I should really go see a doctor". Right.

Offline texasnick

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 11:21:20 am »
Oh another tip is to take some medicine with you-stuff for headaches, allergies and maybe some cold medicine. I caught a cold while I was in Japan and the cold medicine there sucks big time!  We were at a pharmacy and the guy gives me a bottle with 90 pills in it, I was like "Um do you have anything smaller?"  It had 90 pills in it because you had to take 12 pills a day-4 pills 3 X per day!! That bottle was only enough for 8 days!
Man what I wouldn't of given for a Sinutab or two. The over the counter meds are totally weak assay. I had a sore throat and stuffed up sinuses and the pharmicist told me "that I should really go see a doctor". Right.

haha so true.  They're a bit smaller than most North Americans on average over there.  I chipped my tooth when I lived there and had to get it ground down.  When he gave me a novacaine shot in my mouth, I guess he gave me the Japanese doseage b/c it hurt more than anything has ever hurt me in my life.  I almost punched him in the face based on pure instinct.

I'm not so sure about day trips to places like Kyoto and Hiroshima.  They will be really long days for you guys.  I would definitely check out Kyoto out of all the other cities in Japan.  It's the only city that wasn't carpet / fire bombed into oblivion during WWII. Lots of really old wooden buildings....and the Golden Pavillion is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Most Ryokans' will have Onsens (hot springs) for you to use.  Very cool experience to stay in one of those.

One more thing......the BEST food is in the little hole in the wall bar style restaurants that you wouldn't expect to have good food.
Steve McQueen

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »
see if you can hire a guide i am sure it would cost you something but nothing is in english or romanized ( writen with letters) everything is in characters. even the damn subway is in japanese they do have some english after you get in the train station but it can be confusing. personally i loved the pancake thing with the vegtable and bacon i don't remember what it was called but they have a lot of places that have it and it is great. the Ramen is amazing as well so simple but so good.

when i was there we got hooked on the Claw arcade where you win prized. first off the prizes are awesome second they are actually easy to win and the machine have instruction on how to win. it was so damn fun. we came home with 4 stuffed animals. i agree witht he meds they are weak in Japan and you can never be 2 careful. the other thing i thought was awesome was the hot drink machines. i lived of the warm tea it is good and the perfect temperature.

If you have a nintendo DS we brought Learn to speak Japanese and it actually helped. i was able to ask for some Wasabi, but the sushi chef was little shocked that is for sure.

Offline Mokori

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 07 CGM GDB
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 02:23:37 pm »
Tokyo bay Super Autobacs is a must stop for me!

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 09:02:25 pm »
Wow... 367 days later! I guess the red warning didn't register, eh?

... mind you, I do think that bumping an old topic (ie, if you have the same question) is better than starting a new one, but still... ::)

For the curious, a few scanned photos from a trip back in 2000, shot in Takasaki, Nagoya, and mostly Kyoto:

click photo for slideshow
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~