Author Topic: F1 this year  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Flelford

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
F1 this year
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:55:52 am »
I usually don't follow F1 too in-depth but I still try keep track of who won what. This year has been unreal, the usual top contenders in Massa, Raikkonen, Alonso, and Hamilton are no where to be seen. Brawn GP then comes out of no where and dominates the sport, and I do have to say their cars have to be the best looking ones on the grid.
And how can you not feel happy for Jenson Button, suffering thru 9 years with 5 separate F1 teams and managing 1 win in that time. Then this year he absolutely cleans up, 6 wins in 7 races and still gettin on the podium in the one race he didn't win this year.

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
Re: F1 this year
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:46:24 am »
I wouldn't really say Brawn came out of nowhere -- Ross Brawn was with Ferrari during the Schumacher years, and was a big factor behind their success. He's not exactly a rookie, and he's also the beneficiary of the ~$400 million Honda spent on the team last year. I do think it's pretty telling that he was the team's principal for years under the Honda name and had dismal results... but the first year he's out on his own and able to call the shots, the team dominates. Sort of looks like whomever was Ross's boss before was quite the turd.

That said though, it's great to see Jenson finally live up to all the hype that surrounded him when he was a rookie in the sport. It must have been so brutal for him to slog through those years losing so badly so regularly.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not F1 even exists in 2010 though -- FOTA have said they're not even going to be back if the current two-tiered regulations remain in place. Sounding sort of like Indy vs. Champ Car on a much larger scale.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline mtn05

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:32 am »

That said though, it's great to see Jenson finally live up to all the hype that surrounded him when he was a rookie in the sport. It must have been so brutal for him to slog through those years losing so badly so regularly.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not F1 even exists in 2010 though -- FOTA have said they're not even going to be back if the current two-tiered regulations remain in place. Sounding sort of like Indy vs. Champ Car on a much larger scale.

Great job Jenson Button! Such a bad run with Mugen/ Honda, i think he deserves some wins. Brawn has the proper Mercedes engine as well!

I can't see F1 closing... the Euros just have to settle. IMO.

-M.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:20:52 am »
I've been enjoying the race quite a bit this year.  I feel bad for Hamilton because his car is so slow, but the rear diffuser rules seem to be helping a bit.  I think there's still a bit too much dirty air behind the cars, but if the FIA can sort it out for next year I think we'll see a lot more passing on a lot more tracks.

You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline Sypher

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 15' STi CWP
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:34:50 pm »
I have been trying to watch this years F1 season but I always seem to miss or forget when it is on  :(

By chance does anyone know of a good site that has this years season up that I could watch via streaming?
(I could DL it but my home internet = the sux)

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:31:15 pm »
Downloading is the only way, it's illegal to watch streaming Bernievision. The Bernie will not allow it.

F1 only have small video clips with lame music on their official site.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline Sypher

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 15' STi CWP
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:39:47 am »
Downloading is the only way, it's illegal to watch streaming Bernievision. The Bernie will not allow it.

F1 only have small video clips with lame music on their official site.

Yeah that's what I figured... Oh well, just have to pvr it when it comes on next time.