Poll

Is snackers a douche?

Yes
No

Author Topic: WSC Super Summer Meet - Postponed  (Read 30879 times)

Offline BlackArcher101

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '03 WRX, '16 Outback
Re: WSC Super Summer Meet - Taking Suggestions
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »
There's a great group camp at Pigeon Lake?

Offline Tabibito

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
  • Ride: 2012 2.0i Sport Wagon, and big white box with blinky lights.
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
Jasper or Banff would be cool. I drove the Icefields Parkway last winter with Snackers and RS, and it seemed like it would make a nice summer cruise as well.
===========
A filthy Subaru is a happy Subaru.

Offline THE EDJ

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
Jasper or Banff would be cool. I drove the Icefields Parkway last winter with Snackers and RS, and it seemed like it would make a nice summer cruise as well.

It is :) did it two weeks ago.  Biggest issue is wildlife so you have to take it pretty easy (saw 2 black bear, 1 grizzly, deer galore...), also loads of traffic to deal with.  The view is worth it though.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 03:07:46 PM »
The problem with the camping idea is that most campsites are booked into Sept by now, so we would have to get first come first serve sites.  Those are filling up quickly every weekend also....damn camping Albertans :)

Offline Tabibito

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »
Site? Why do we need a site? We all drive Subarus ;)
===========

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »
Jasper could use the tourists as its been decimated by the US recession.  Moreover, there are lots of trails to hike or bike around Jasper.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline saar

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
Jasper could use the tourists as its been decimated by the US recession.  Moreover, there are lots of trails to hike or bike around Jasper.

Valley of the Five, Saturday Night Lake, Overlander, etc etc....

I went from Rocky --> Icefields last weekend (13/14 June) and also saw a whack of wildlife. It was mostly due to the forest fires smoking them out onto the roads, but still it was neat.

There is also a nice/hidden ninja camping spot along HWY 11 alongside Abraham Lake. It's tucked away up on top of some rocks near the highway, and is free/large. The only downside is the lack of amenities for those not willing to rough it for a few days.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline GlennC

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »
Do we have any more Vancouver people to really speak of?

I'd say Edmonton, but only if it involves Sypher, Amby and Karaokee.

Jasper! horseshoe lake cliff jumpin is a good way to blow a day

Done it!

Kurtis doesn't do karaokee...  astardbay!
Mr. Installer

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: TL SHHHHAWD // 18’ X1
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »

Not everyone can fit a king sized mattress in the back of their car.

Before we go any further with this, what dates would work for people? I believe that August 1,2,3 is a long weekend. Perhaps something during then?

Here is a suggestion. Have a convoy for the Edmonton/North alberta people and a seperate one for the Calgary/South people. The edmonton peeps go through Jasper while the Calgary members go through Banff. We meet in the middle and drive through RMH into Red Deer. Camping/Hotels, etc can be arranged during the trip.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
I'm in Fernie for that weekend, but I look forward to the Youtube of various drunken happenings is seedy bars.

Offline saar

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »

Before we go any further with this, what dates would work for people? I believe that August 1,2,3 is a long weekend. Perhaps something during then?

Here is a suggestion. Have a convoy for the Edmonton/North alberta people and a seperate one for the Calgary/South people. The edmonton peeps go through Jasper while the Calgary members go through Banff. We meet in the middle and drive through RMH into Red Deer. Camping/Hotels, etc can be arranged during the trip.

+1
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRB Impreza Ltd wagon
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »
now that I've got the Subaru camper (mattress in the back of the Fozzy) I'm up for a mountain trip off the beaten path. I know I've still got more clearance than most of the STi's out there so I won't have to worry about that, but it would be nice to get away from the city to some place that can be reached as a day trip for most (Calgary, Edmonton, North+South peeps) but can also be an overnight spot. That being said, I've got no real suggestion so I'm not sure how much that counts for... I heard Pigeon Lake though, and that's a good place to be at.

'06 2.5i Wagon: 60KM->sold
'01 Forester S: 217KM->sold
'10 2.5i Wagon: gone...
'07 WRX Wagon: 167,xxx really fun kms!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

M-e-X-x

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

Ok, I'll bite.  So this is assuming we do a multi-day trip meet?  If not, why the heck would you go in a big circle to get to Red Deer (for the Calgary/Edmonton members?)

Offline Tabibito

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2009, 09:49:54 AM »

I like this idea. Also, I didn't mean sleep in the car. I meant our cars can handle a little off-roading to find 'unmarked' camp sites ;)

But yes, I also understand that some of you actually have show cars and don't take them barreling down trails ;)
===========

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
I don't quite get the long, long, long drive.

Does anyone live on a farm?  Ideally one that isn't a slew and has a field with enough room for everyone to pitch a tent.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »

Ok, I'll bite.  So this is assuming we do a multi-day trip meet?  If not, why the heck would you go in a big circle to get to Red Deer (for the Calgary/Edmonton members?)

Yes it would be a multi-day trip. If people want to go camping it would be multi-day anyways, but like Perfect Dark said, most camp sites are booked solid in the summer.

Offline 07WRX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Limited, RM Slayer 50, Specialized Tarmac Comp
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
I think a multi-day trip especially on a long weekend really wont get "super meet"  turn out. I vote Cold Lake (I know it's far for the southern Albertans) and we do a photo shoot.

Remember this thread:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=3703.0

*cough*F-18*cough*jutes*cough*cough*
Havoc The Cold Lake WRX Undertaking

Offline BlackArcher101

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '03 WRX, '16 Outback
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »
Ya, if there's CF-18's involved, I'll go anywhere. 

But I'm confused as to what the plan is now?

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
Ya, if there's CF-18's involved, I'll go anywhere.  

But I'm confused as to what the plan is now?

We are extremely busy right now training with the Army for the sandbox and preparation for the upcoming Olympics, so getting something organized within our squadron will be next to impossible.

I think we should keep this low-key and simple. Lets remember here, not everyone is into camping or hiking or other outdoor activities in the woods. This is why I believe that we should do something like the meet in September, meet/cruise in the day time and have something for the night folk (no minors  ;) ). Remember to keep this a central location i.e. Edmonton/Red Deer area to accommodate the northern people like ft.mac/cl and people from Calgary. I know I don't want to drive anymore than 3 hours just to get to a meet.

Poll incoming.

Offline Sypher

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 15' STi CWP
Re: WSC Super Summer Meet - Poll
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »
I voted for sylvan since it's a bit more central but since I am from Calgary that is a no brainier choice for me as well ;)

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
What about a trip to here? ;D

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/24/guinness-attempt-biggest-ever-subaru-gathering-planned-for-illi/

But seriously I would be down for a day trip somewhere around so Edmonton or Calgary or the parks.

Offline Mase-19

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »
Sylvan Is not a good idea for a large cruise with 35+ cars. Just trying to find one parking spot in that town on a weekend during the summer is a pain. Trying to find enough places for 35+ would be difficult.

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline ExHonda

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
I agree, Sylvan lake is always super busy.

Offline impreza_ts

• Patchy Faced
  • Golf Ball Roof...
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
the new wal-mart in Sylvan has a way oversized parking lot, it's usually half empty.  also, since the wal mart, the parking lot at the no frills and hewlett park landing is usually pretty empty as well...not really much of a scenic location, but there should be enough room...I agree that it's not a good place for a cruise though...
has anyone thought about Gull Lake?  Namely the day use area at Brewer's campground?

Offline THE EDJ

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »
haha we could see far out you could drive before the water hit the underside of the bumper.  I bet you could get half way across the lake haha. 
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr