Author Topic: husky 90 octane instead of shell 87??  (Read 4206 times)

Offline crunchiespg

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 purple STI
husky 90 octane instead of shell 87??
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:39:42 AM »
right now i have exclusively used Shell regular fuel in my 2009 2.5 sport. no problems  with it. and i get on average 8L/100km (more recently with more highway im getting 7.2L/100km)

but, im hearing more and more bad things about shell Gas.. would there be any benefit to changing to husky because they give 90 octane for the same price?

esso isnt an option, no station in my town..

i did a search and found loads of topics on husky 94, but none about the regular stuff...
thanks

Offline Wally

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 03 Cavalier
Re: husky 90 octane instead of shell 87??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
Are you modded?

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:43:47 AM »
but, im hearing more and more bad things about shell Gas..

Such as?

"Bad things" like, "everybody has their own preference"?
Or facts and numbers to prove it?

Offline AdamMc

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »
the only thing ive found is that husky fuel doesnt agree w/ my car for fuel mileage.  The more and more numbers i write down, the more my findings conclude that husky fuel (specifically 94 though) causes my fuel mileage to tank.

Offline crunchiespg

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »
Are you modded?

no totally stock..

and bad things ive heard are reports of water in the fuel. and that quite often you are not getting shell gas at the pump.. did also see some numbers backing up that shell isnt the best fuel anymore, and to counter this shell are pushing their advertising hard.

Offline crunchiespg

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
the only thing ive found is that husky fuel doesnt agree w/ my car for fuel mileage.  The more and more numbers i write down, the more my findings conclude that husky fuel (specifically 94 though) causes my fuel mileage to tank.

but the 94 is a different fuel altogether because that has an ethanol blend which will always give worse fuel economy.

the 90 is just regular gas, so i need people running that rather than peeps using the 94 to get a true comparison.
thanks guys.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
Your gas mileage will suffer when you switch over to Husky.  Unless you are getting the dreaded fuel level not displaying correctly problem with the Shell, I see no reason why you would need to change.

Offline AdamMc

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »

but the 94 is a different fuel altogether because that has an ethanol blend which will always give worse fuel economy.

the 90 is just regular gas, so i need people running that rather than peeps using the 94 to get a true comparison.
thanks guys.

Isnt ALL husky fuel ethanol blended?  If not, i may get into some husky 92! and try that out..

Offline crunchiespg

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

thanks guys.

Isnt ALL husky fuel ethanol blended?  If not, i may get into some husky 92! and try that out..

dunno, i thought only the 94 was ethanol. but i might be wrong.

Offline Scout255

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
all of their octane levels are now blended with ethanol.

Their old 87 octane stuff was *sometimes*.

Most of the shell gas stations out their will sell shell gas.  Exceptions would be when the refinery is on a shutdown or unplanned outage and they run out of reserves.  Then they have agreements in place with other producers (such as Petro, Husky, Esso, etc.) to get supply from them.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
All of the Husky fuels are blended, just check their website for confirmation. I have been running H90 for a while now. I have said it before and I will say it again; I get better results from H90 then any of the premium fuels from other major companies ... period. These results are from daily logs and pushing my tune to the edge and back. I've tried all the major brands premium on a conservative H90 tune and ended up with knock and a reduction of IAM. This is with and without ADI.

I also get 24 MPG in the city, and that was on H90, H92, and H94. When running the other brands I saw no appreciable difference in gas mileage.

These are my own results with my own car and tune. You can check out my threads in the "Engine Management and Tuning" area to see some of my tuning results.

Take this info as you will.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline AdamMc

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »
All of the Husky fuels are blended, just check their website for confirmation. I have been running H90 for a while now. I have said it before and I will say it again; I get better results from H90 then any of the premium fuels from other major companies ... period. These results are from daily logs and pushing my tune to the edge and back. I've tried all the major brands premium on a conservative H90 tune and ended up with knock and a reduction of IAM. This is with and without ADI.

I also get 24 MPG in the city, and that was on H90, H92, and H94. When running the other brands I saw no appreciable difference in gas mileage.

These are my own results with my own car and tune. You can check out my threads in the "Engine Management and Tuning" area to see some of my tuning results.

I'd really like to get a tactrix cable and do some logging over a long period of time, to figure out what my engine is doing with husky 94 and then shell 91.
Every time i write the numbers down after a fill up, its always consistent.  Husky usually gives me ~13-15L/100km   Shell usually gives me 9-11L/100km

When reduced to those numbers, it doesnt look like much.  But it translates into huge KM differences at the end of a tank of gas.  13L/100km is 30% off a tank at 10L/100km.
Ive been making sure to keep exact numbers too, so its not all in my head and/or guestimations.

Offline Mr. Wheeler

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon Airboy tuned Stage 0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »
I'll second Adam's conclusion.  Every time I put Husky 94 in my tank my milage drops around 30%!!  I thought I was just seeing things but this confirms this for me. 

I also get the weird tank level issues when I run Shell which I run all the time.  So far I've had best results with Petro-Can or Esso brand gasoline. I still fill with Shell since they're always the closest to me at my regular fill locations.  I use Gas Plus as well and I think they get their fuel from Petro-Can. 

Offline echofx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: DGM 09 Impreza 2.5i Hatch
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »
As I also have an NA 09, I can say I've been happy enough with Shell 87. I've certainly had no issues with it, and empirically, I'd say I get slightly better fuel economy than gassing up with Safeway (anybody know who they use as a supplier in Edmonton?) and Esso. I've also had good results with Hugh's. Those are the two places I hit most often as they are convenient.

That all being said, there definitely isn't the variances the turbo guys will see, especially modded guys. If there's nothing new under the hood it realistically shouldn't matter where you go.

Offline Wally

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
If you're bone stock, it really doesn't matter where you get your fuel from. The differences won't be significant, and there's very little proof that shell is better or worse than other brands. Unless someone locally desides to take a lotta grab samples and run them through GC-MS, there won't be much proof.

For day to day, I run shell 91 and that's what my car is tuned on. I don't actually believe that shell 91 is better than other 91's, but I can rack up the airmiles at shell!! Whenever it gets really hot out or if I'm planning to go to the track, I'll start running a few tanks of husky94 for safety. Eventually I'll want to do an aggressive 94 octane tune for my car.

As for fuel consumption, when i was on stock injectors, I've noticed the IDCs to be quite a bit hight when I run husky 94 comapred to shell 91. I assume that due to the reduced combustive energy per volume unit of fuel, the car was probably seeing positive fuel trims. But people claiming a 30% reduction in fuel economy seems to be a bit exagerated. I've switched between husky 94 and shell 91 many times, and the fuel consumption difference is often negligible.

Maybe people are feeling the benefits of husky 94 and the increased timing advance; possible a case of the lead foot??

Offline Scout255

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »

Always wondered if someone would ever try running straight 90 from husky instead of 94.  Did you lose much power by having to retune less agressively because of the 4 less octane points?

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
Always wondered if someone would ever try running straight 90 from husky instead of 94.  Did you lose much power by having to retune less agressively because of the 4 less octane points?

You can look here for my H90 results and here for my H94 and H92 results.

Offline CRooKeDCoP

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2010 Mitsu Ralliart.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
I will give you this tid-bit my car is an '05 Impreza RS and every other gas but Shell gas makes my mileage tank , Shell gas easily gets me 50 to 75km's per tank more in town and over 100km's per tank on the highway.  I have heard this from a few other ppl and a few other types of vehicles.

Offline Shanty

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
^ Hmm I have the same car and may have to give this a try. Doing a long trip from Edmonton to Chilliwack in July so would be great to get the extra KMs from the tank.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline CRooKeDCoP

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2010 Mitsu Ralliart.
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:17 PM »
My car seems to hate anything with Ethanol blend , Mohawk was the worst.  Went from 425 in town km's to 300 in town km's.  So now it's either Esso which is ok in my car and Shell which I have found best.  Give it a go and let us know the numbers.

Offline WhiteRex

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: Widebody 03.5 strx
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »
I run husky 94 in my car. It runs the best I do get better milage on the high way and some one said about water in shell fuel well some ppl might not know but if u don't run ur car till the empty light comes on sumtimes the time u need to there's humidity which builds water in ur tank. So in that time u need to run it that low ur car could try to run on water but it prolly won't last long Haha just a little info there but my buddy swears by shell v power runs it in everything he owns

Offline Scout255

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »
Always wondered if someone would ever try running straight 90 from husky instead of 94.  Did you lose much power by having to retune less agressively because of the 4 less octane points?

Interesting.  I suppose the meth/water mixture is helping with the lower octane then?

Offline Wally

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
Just to clarify and avoid confusion for some people who may be reading this:
Using the ethanol blended fuels (ie. Husky 94) DOES NOT make the car run any worse. The decreased fuel economy does not mean reduced performance.

I just don't want people to read some posts and thinking husky 94 is bad for their car or anything.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 05:58:52 AM »

Interesting.  I suppose the meth/water mixture is helping with the lower octane then?

Currently I'm running no meth on H90 and seeing ~250TQ and ~220HP on Sunny's spreadsheet. I am running an STi TMIC now though. Oh, and DW750's at maximum 50% DC   ::)