Author Topic: Exhaust Choices - JDM WRX same as USDM 2.5 RS?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline doubtless

• Patchy Faced
Exhaust Choices - JDM WRX same as USDM 2.5 RS?
« on: June 27, 2009, 05:07:28 pm »
So question is in the topic... but it's a 2 parter!

We know that to be interested in a new downpipe and exhaust combo we need some form of tuning for the car. We also that the JDM downpipes will only fit with JDM exhausts, and that a US downpipe will mate up, and needs a US exhaust... With this in mind if we're shopping, we SHOULD be looking at what's available for the 2.5rs, am I right? I assume these are different between the old GC chassis and the GD's?

Second part! IF one were looking for a new catback, what manufacturers should a person be looking through?

I'll edit this post with links to manufacturer pages for information based on responses, and then SubieRoo or a mod, could you tack this into the JDM FAQ thread in the Tech Discussion forum?

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
Re: Exhaust Choices - JDM WRX same as USDM 2.5 RS?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:22:58 pm »
I posted this elsewhere but you need a full JDM TBE or a full USDM TBE.  No mixing and matching.  One of the hangers doesn't line up on the USDM TBE so you can get it moved, use a USDM rear crossmember or do nothing at all.  It's not important.

Don't look at 2.5RS exhausts, look at WRX/STI exhausts.  If you search, you'll find a million other threads for exhaust recommendations so I recommend doing that first.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 05:39:38 pm »
2.5RS exhausts are for N/A cars, so they are meeting up to where the headers end, not where the end of the up-pipe, turbo, downpipe detour in a turbo Subaru ends up.

Clear?

Offline doubtless

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »
Don't look at 2.5RS exhausts, look at WRX/STI exhausts.  If you search, you'll find a million other threads for exhaust recommendations so I recommend doing that first.

So by looking at WRX/STI exhausts, are you saying the GD's bits will fit onto the GC's without issue?

2.5RS exhausts are for N/A cars, so they are meeting up to where the headers end, not where the end of the up-pipe, turbo, downpipe detour in a turbo Subaru ends up.

Clear?

Right, I feel silly now for asking that one. :)

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »
Don't look at 2.5RS exhausts, look at WRX/STI exhausts.  If you search, you'll find a million other threads for exhaust recommendations so I recommend doing that first.

So by looking at WRX/STI exhausts, are you saying the GD's bits will fit onto the GC's without issue?
I have a complete stock STI TBE on my 1999 RS.  One of the rear hangers won't line up for you unless you use a USDM rear crossmember (and I did) but that hanger isn't important.

Offline doubtless

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 05:49:18 pm »
I have a complete stock STI TBE on my 1999 RS.  One of the rear hangers won't line up for you unless you use a USDM rear crossmember (and I did) but that hanger isn't important.

Perfect, thanks for answering! Knew you'd be one of the first with an answer ;)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:50:00 pm »
Right, I feel silly now for asking that one. :)

No need to feel silly, just answer it for the next person. ;)