Author Topic: Soutwest Airlines commitment to safety  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Soutwest Airlines commitment to safety
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:24:46 am »
Upon a football sized hole opening up on a plane mid flight they grounded all their planes and performed "walk-around visual inspection(s) just to check for structural integrity".

I didn't realize you could tell if a fuselage is about to give way by walking around a plane. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/southwest-checks-planes-after-incident/article1217526/
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Soutwest Airlines commitment to safety
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:28:41 am »
Sounds like a CYA move to me...

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:13 am »
A maintenance engineer who knows what they're doing can spot problems in the fuselage via a walk-around inspection, for the most part. Of course, without x-raying the entire structure, you're not going to find everything.

We had a prof in our Engineering Failures class who used to work for a major airline as a maintenance engineer. He said we wouldn't believe how many planes are certified flight-worthy with hairline cracks on the wings. Scary stuff.

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Sean

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:32 am »
I guess I'll be driving out west lol.