Author Topic: Anniversary Vancouver area suggestions please  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Chad

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ford Flex "AWD", Miss my Subie
Anniversary Vancouver area suggestions please
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:20:55 pm »
Flying out to see my family in Vancouver/Gibson’s for 7 days late September will have a rental Car.  While we are out there it will be our 1 year anniversary.  I would like to surprise her and do something special.   
Looking for something very low key and relaxing, Thinking a Water front hotel in Victoria/ Nanaimo or possibly in Vancouver.  I have no idea other then picking something that looks nice on expedia  :)  I would really appreciation any suggestions

Thank you
Old Nick: Takemetoothemoon

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: Anniversary Vancouver area suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »
Well. I grew up in Victoria and then lived in Vancouver for 6 years... so it depends where you want to go.

In Victoria, I would suggest Cafe Brio (http://www.cafe-brio.com) for dinner. Its probably the nicest restaurant in the city. Small, classy and extremely good food.

In Vancouver. Watermark, on Kits beach is a great restaurant with a fantastic view of the sunset over the ocean. The food is spectacular as well. Lumiere is a famous restaurant in kits that always gets rave reviews, but is quite expensive.

As far as hotels in Victoria, there's always the Empress Hotel, but in my opinion, its overrated. I would try for one of the smaller bed and breakfasts in the James Bay area. There's a few on Dallas Rd with views overlooking the ocean. If you're willing to go upisland a bit, then try a bed and breakfast in Brentwood Bay. I've heard really good things about a couple places there, and you can always come into Victoria (30 min drive) to go out for dinner.

Where you stay and eat kind of depends on your price range....
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »

Depends on how quiet you want... Ucluelet/Tofino is gorgeous, but it's a bit of a drive...

'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:41:43 pm »
Depends on how quiet you want... Ucluelet/Tofino is gorgeous, but it's a bit of a drive...

Agreed. A nice secluded A-frame cabin on Long Beach...
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Chad

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »
Thank you, I will look into these places.

Tofino might be worth another try, we went there on a 1 day trip.   Did not see any whales, worest of all the fish and chips where crap.

Looking forward to stoping in steveston for fish and chips.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »
If you're interested in Fish and Chips in Victoria, check out Willows Galley at 2559 Estevan Avenue. Its in Oak Bay and is a block from Willows Beach... great fresh fish... and a huge newspaper bag of chips.

Offline Chad

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »
If you're interested in Fish and Chips in Victoria, check out Willows Galley at 2559 Estevan Avenue. Its in Oak Bay and is a block from Willows Beach... great fresh fish... and a huge newspaper bag of chips.

This will be on my list to do for sure,  In a newspaper bag the way they all should be.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:02 pm »
Some other places that I can suggest in Victoria:

For the best all-day breakfast: Floyd's Diner is incredible. John's Place and the Blue Fox are amazing places as well. They all have lineups on the weekend though.

Another great restaurant: Superior on Superior. Its in James Bay. Owned by an artist, who's father is the chef, its a great place to enjoy a nice light meal, some cheese and wine. It closes for a bit every 3 months so the artist can redo the decor.