Author Topic: Reuse stock flywheel or go for aftermarket lightweight?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Kachow

• Patchy Faced
Reuse stock flywheel or go for aftermarket lightweight?
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:50:49 am »
The clutch is going on my car right now, I have an exedy stage 1 clutch at my house at the moment so im just looking for some extra feedback on the decision im facing right now.. Get a new lighter flywheel (when ive heard that lighter flywheels arent so great for boxer engines) OR the safe alternative; use my old flywheel.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys have to offer!

Offline Speed Stick

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: SG5, JZX100
Re: Reuse stock flywheel or go for aftermarket lightweight?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:40:06 pm »
I am wondering the samething for when I change my clutch out within the next six months. You could also buy a factory replacement one as well. I'm going to stick with the stock flywheel for sure and most likely get the same clutch that you have right now.
1993 GC8 WRX(SOLD)
2004 5spd FXT
1997 5Spd JZX100 Chaser

Offline Scout255

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:52:50 pm »
Probably depends a lot on the condition of your flywheel as well.  If your flywheel is not in serviceable condition, obviously an aftermarket lighter, or stock replacement one (if you can get them here) would be better.

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:41:36 pm »
Well after doing a bunch of research on my clutch and regarding the issues I have now after it was installed a few things I read is that it is recommended {by Subaru(from NASIOC)} that you do not resurface your flywheel and that you get a new one when you replace your clutch. It may be part of the issue that I have with mine, but it may have been the install. Either way my clutch is horrible and when it comes time to replace it or I can't stand it anymore I will get a new flywheel just in-case. Couldn't hurt anyways.

Offline dub c

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:29:07 pm »
^I can also confirm this.
The oem flywheel cannot be machined. Buy a new one!

Offline Speed Stick

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:04:33 pm »
That's good information to know!  Thx.  I'll make sure to buy a flywheel when I order the clutch.
1993 GC8 WRX(SOLD)
2004 5spd FXT
1997 5Spd JZX100 Chaser

Offline ScubaruSteve

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • OH Yeah!
  • Ride: 02 Wag0wn
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:04:47 pm »
depends what you want, if you like launching hard and getting out of the hole, keep stock weight. if you get a light one revs bounce easier, as in rev matching and it just seems free. the only downside is that you need to ride the clutch a lot more to get moving or to launch. cant dump clutch on 2 liter anymore to break the tires free.

Sean

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:06:57 am »
Can't dump clutch on 2 liter anymore to break the tires free.

eek. I have more than enough torque to do this, and launch control, and a stock clutch, and I still can't bring myself to try even once LOL

Offline Scout255

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 08:11:10 am »
Hehe, yea, don't think i've ever clutch dumped on my STI either.  I'm sure it'd be okay but its more of a "Can you emagine having to spend a couple grand to repair something stupid you did"

Offline Speed Stick

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:28:42 pm »
Haha yeah I've only dumped in snow and on gravel and I still didn't feel good about doing that.
1993 GC8 WRX(SOLD)
2004 5spd FXT
1997 5Spd JZX100 Chaser

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:06 pm »
This is what I did recently: Since I needed a new clutch I started researching what to do about the flywheel. Most things I read pertaining specifically to the WRX said replace the flywheel. Some have had good results with resurfacing, but most regretted their decision due to poor engagement or other issues. In the end I figured since I was doing the clutch myself (with Stu's help) I really couldn't afford the time to figure out if the flywheel was even in good enough shape to be resurfaced.

So I started researching lightweight flywheels. After getting past the "My lightweight flywheel is the shiznit I gained 60HP with it" crap most recommended NOT going with a aluminum flywheel due to the issues described by ScubaruSteve, as well as the fact that the teeth ring and sometimes the center section is pressed on.

I ended up going with a chromoly flywheel due to increased strength and a smaller weight reduction. It is 12lbs, 10lbs lighter than stock where most others are 12-14lbs lighter. It seems to be a good balance between stock and aluminum. It is definitely freer revving, but I also have no problems taking off from lights spiritedly. Idle smoothness is slightly reduced, but it makes the car feel 300lbs lighter due to increased responsiveness.

My .02
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline Speed Stick

• WSC Supporter
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »
I've honestly never looked into those chromoly flywheels. Might be an alright replacement by the sounds of it.
1993 GC8 WRX(SOLD)
2004 5spd FXT
1997 5Spd JZX100 Chaser

Offline ScubaruSteve

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • OH Yeah!
  • Ride: 02 Wag0wn
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »
Hehe, yea, don't think i've ever clutch dumped on my STI either.  I'm sure it'd be okay but its more of a "Can you emagine having to spend a couple grand to repair something stupid you did"

i have spent lots on stupidity, don't you worry!

Offline Kachow

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 05:40:42 pm »
Hmmm thanks for all the feedback guys! I think i will most likely go with an oem replacement flywheel just to be safe  :)

Offline bejamin

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Forester, 2002 Outback Wagon
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »
This is what I did recently: Since I needed a new clutch I started researching what to do about the flywheel. Most things I read pertaining specifically to the WRX said replace the flywheel. Some have had good results with resurfacing, but most regretted their decision due to poor engagement or other issues. In the end I figured since I was doing the clutch myself (with Stu's help) I really couldn't afford the time to figure out if the flywheel was even in good enough shape to be resurfaced.

So I started researching lightweight flywheels. After getting past the "My lightweight flywheel is the shiznit I gained 60HP with it" crap most recommended NOT going with a aluminum flywheel due to the issues described by ScubaruSteve, as well as the fact that the teeth ring and sometimes the center section is pressed on.

I ended up going with a chromoly flywheel due to increased strength and a smaller weight reduction. It is 12lbs, 10lbs lighter than stock where most others are 12-14lbs lighter. It seems to be a good balance between stock and aluminum. It is definitely freer revving, but I also have no problems taking off from lights spiritedly. Idle smoothness is slightly reduced, but it makes the car feel 300lbs lighter due to increased responsiveness.

My .02

What make of flywheel did you end up using, did you use the matching clutch or did you use the OEM clutch?
"It's a rally car. And we were bored with chess"

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 06:51:52 pm »

My .02

What make of flywheel did you end up using, did you use the matching clutch or did you use the OEM clutch?

I purchased an OEM replacement clutch and F1 flywheel from Grip Force on eBay. The same combination as this one. Great seller and quick shipping via USPS.

Offline bejamin

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Forester, 2002 Outback Wagon
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 11:06:41 pm »

My .02

I purchased an OEM replacement clutch and F1 flywheel from Grip Force on eBay. The same combination as this one. Great seller and quick shipping via USPS.

Thank you,

i think you just saved me hours of research. Now to work out how to install it. Any hints?
"It's a rally car. And we were bored with chess"

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 07:51:14 am »
Thank you,

i think you just saved me hours of research. Now to work out how to install it. Any hints?

There are lots of DIY install guides on the 'net (for some reason I don't have any links, but Google is your friend). There is nothing really tricky about the whole thing other than splitting the tranny from the engine. We tried several different methods to get them to separate and it probably took about half the install time just to get them apart. After that it was smooth sailing. I would recommend having a transmission jack as well, it sure made it easier to position the tranny to mate back up with the engine. Also this is not a one man job, I was very glad that Stu offered to help.

In the end it just takes time to get it done. With one person who had done several clutches, and one pretty handy guy it took us about ~6hrs IIRC, with almost half of that splitting the engine/tranny.