Author Topic: Good Camping in Alberta?  (Read 10552 times)

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
Good Camping in Alberta?
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:13:33 pm »
A few friends and I are looking at going camping somewhere in Central/Southern Alberta but really can't think of anywhere to go.  The criteria is:
- Preferably backwoods
- No restrictions on noise/intoxication
- Near a lake/river
- trees!
- accessible by car
- No more than a 4 hour drive from Edmonton and even closer to Calgary

Any ideas folks?

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
Re: Good Camping in Alberta?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:20:38 pm »
There's a good spot a short distance north of Cadomin that fits exactly what you're after. We used to go out there with a group of dirt biking dudes back in the day. Head west on HWY 16 from Edmonton (Yellowhead) and turn south just after Edson at secondary highway 47 south. Follow the signs towards Cadomin (it'll become secondary hwy 40 at Coalspar). The spot is an empty field immediately after a small bridge over a creek on your right-hand side. If you get to Cadomin, you went too far.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:24:47 pm »
Great suggestion, it sounds like it's exactly what we're looking for but also a 6+ hour drive from Calgary.

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:29:55 pm »
For the Calgary dudes, it'll be a lot shorter to just head west from Red Deer on HWY 11 and go north just after Nordegg on secondary HWY 40. Would probably be another ~1.5-2hrs from Red Deer.

Offline Towona

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 02 Forester S Sport / 98 Forester S
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 04:35:10 pm »
I like Ram Falls Provincial Park. Very backwoods and runs on the "honour system" for payment. i.e. no warden or whatever telling you what to do. Right next to the Ram River and the falls. I think there are places to swim near the falls.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=calgary&daddr=51.086273,-114.395142+to:HWY+40+to:Ram+Falls+Provincial+Park+%4052.088842,-115.837440&geocode=%3B%3BFTKgDgMd5Bcm-Q%3BFQrQGgMdAHYY-Q&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1,2&sll=51.337476,-114.724731&sspn=1.043262,3.622742&ie=UTF8&ll=52.217704,-114.290771&spn=1.023108,3.622742&z=9

Google says 260km from Calgary... also says 5+ hours but that is ullbayitshay. I would say just 3 or so depending on how comfortable you are driving on gravel roads.
Runamuck Rally/Racing
91 VW GTi (The Rally Car)
02 Subaru Forester S Sport (The TSDer)

Offline Towona

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 02 Forester S Sport / 98 Forester S
Runamuck Rally/Racing
91 VW GTi (The Rally Car)
02 Subaru Forester S Sport (The TSDer)

Offline OCEANSUBARU

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Proud Daddy
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:44:44 pm »
RAM FALLS!
What's Green and says " I'm a Frog "?

A talking Frog......

:-/

Sean

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 05:49:49 pm »
I'll definitely add a +1 for Ram Falls, and if it's not a long weekend, it's usually dead.

Favorite place in Alberta.

Lots and lots and lots of great random camping spots on and just off the trunk road all the way from Nordegg to Hwy 1.

Offline ScubaruSteve

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • OH Yeah!
  • Ride: 02 Wag0wn
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 10:04:22 pm »
one of my favourites is waiporious off road park. can drive in and you can camp within feet from the bow / ghost river. you may see someone from forestry but they dont bother you. and i got in there with a fwd saturn and my subie. and a fun road there too!

Offline SoulShock

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 05 WRB STi
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 10:49:32 pm »
West of Sundre, Bearberry has some awesome camping.  Stay away from the actual camp site, and most spots are accessible via car, some need something a little meatier, but its awesome and right on the river

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:34 am »
Ram falls is awsome, but it is a fairly quiet camground.  If intoxication and the rowdiness that accompanys it is mandatory you may want to try the dam at Abraham lake.  Its maybe 15 min past crescent falls, huge lake and you won't upset anybody with drunken escapades. 

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »
There's also a ninja camp spot along HWY 11 right beside Abraham Lake, southern side of the road. You'll see it as you're approaching from the East, it's a small gravel road leading up and away from the main highway right before a place the highway has been blasted through a large rock.

The campsite is generally empty, very large and has a nice view of the lake. The downside is that there is little to no tree cover in the area, and the ground is pretty rocky for people attempting to tent it.

Offline Madhouse

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 02:16:53 am »
I'll be at Ram Falls this weekend with my girlfriend in my subie but we're not going for partying so if you see my car by all means stop by and say hi but please don't camp beside us if you plan to get rowdy because she's got a bit of a temper when it comes to drunk guys and isn't afraid to speak her mind bahahaha.

If you go a little bit north of the provincial campground on the trunk road you'll see a road leading to the left that says "Equestrian Area" or something similar. Drive up there and you'll find all kinds of unofficial camping spots with no rules or regulations but you will find lots of people up there with their horses for trail-riding. There's also a great little stream that's called the Hummingbird that's sickeningly filled with Cutthroat trout that love to bite any fly you throw at them. We'll probably be camping up there.

Offline Dronz93

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: DGM STI 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 06:56:04 am »
For the Calgary dudes, it'll be a lot shorter to just head west from Red Deer on HWY 11 and go north just after Nordegg on secondary HWY 40. Would probably be another ~1.5-2hrs from Red Deer.

Ah I used to work down that road. (Nordegg Elk river coal valley)  If its the sameone I think your talking about that road is hell. Its a Logging road mostly with some oil field, you'd have to be Nuts or not give a damn about your car to take it on that one.   Thats if its the same road.

Offline Klautt

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 05 STi -> Volvo V70R -> 09 WRX Hatchback.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 07:39:26 am »
60km West of Nordegg in the Kutani plains and the rocky mountians there is a campsite called 2 O'Clock creek. Get into the group campin area and against the cliff is the best spot I've ever had. Big open field, lots of room and privacy of large groups, decent group rate, decent wood price. there is a small hike to some indian stuff and a small glacier. Lake with sand bars near by, a river, waterfalls. Basically awesome.

I was there for maylong and it was a blast. The spots against the cliffs though are hard to get, the same people reserve them for years in advance.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856354&l=ff8326a50a&id=539295245
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856360&l=0a121c61d3&id=539295245
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856332&l=4b486cd923&id=539295245
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856337&l=ed9205f546&id=539295245
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856347&l=ce4cdc350a&id=539295245
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856349&l=703f9d71ae&id=539295245

emphasis on against the cliff... kinda windy sometimes
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856350&l=c24364d1ae&id=539295245

Sean

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 12:10:06 am »
Bumping this up.

Spent a night at Ram Falls this weekend, second time out there this year. Much busier this time - the caretakers were actually around. Last time we were there we had loop 3 all to ourselves!

This picture generally sums up the campground...

For anyone that hasn't been, this is a short walk from the campground (10 mins) and there is also a day use area. A few stairs down to a nice viewing platform with a great view of the falls and river valley.

If you go a little bit north of the provincial campground on the trunk road you'll see a road leading to the left that says "Equestrian Area" or something similar. Drive up there and you'll find all kinds of unofficial camping spots with no rules or regulations but you will find lots of people up there with their horses for trail-riding. There's also a great little stream that's called the Hummingbird that's sickeningly filled with Cutthroat trout that love to bite any fly you throw at them. We'll probably be camping up there.

Madhouse, I dunno if you'll read this, but if you are talking about Cutoff Creek Equestrian Staging Area - there is a big blue bridge over the clearwater river on this road; I am very familiar with that area too. Great camping spots there. That would be south about an hour down the trunk road from Ram Falls if we're talking about the same place.

I've also heard good things about Limestone Mountain, has anyone been out there?

Also, does anyone know of any nice campgrounds like Ram Falls that are in the trunk area or slightly more west? Quiet, self-register, preferably near water and good hiking.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:30:15 am »
My favourite place in Alberta is the Waterton Lakes area.  Last month I went down for two weekends in a row.  It's not unrestricted camping,  but there is so much to do there,  you'll be asleep before the campground curfew anyway.  Waterton is like a small charming Banff.  (Before Banff sold it's soul)  I strongly suggest that folks check it out. 

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 08:38:18 am »
Bumping this up.

Spent a night at Ram Falls this weekend, second time out there this year. Much busier this time - the caretakers were actually around. Last time we were there we had loop 3 all to ourselves!

This picture generally sums up the campground...

For anyone that hasn't been, this is a short walk from the campground (10 mins) and there is also a day use area. A few stairs down to a nice viewing platform with a great view of the falls and river valley.

Dunno if you'll read this, but if you are talking about Cutoff Creek Equestrian Staging Area - there is a big blue bridge over the clearwater river on this road; I am very familiar with that area too. Great camping spots there. That would be south about an hour down the trunk road from Ram Falls if we're talking about the same place.

I've also heard good things about Limestone Mountain, has anyone been out there?

Also, does anyone know of any nice campgrounds like Ram Falls that are in the trunk area or slightly more west? Quiet, self-register, preferably near water and good hiking.

mec wanderer 4.  i has teh same tent and love it.

Sean

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:40:30 am »
Apollo 3, actually. :)

Love it. So much.