Author Topic: CanehdianJs STi - Fin  (Read 118484 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Re: Jeffs STi
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 08:17:16 pm »
Update time. 

So much for keeping it stock

Being up here and not having access to any real form of car, and especially after seeing those photos from those of you who were rally crossing your cars, I have decided that it is stupid for me to have a car like an STi and let it be a garage queen so to speak.  I hate the fact that I cant open it up legally on the roads so I guess its time for me to start getting my butt out to events now isn't it.   It ll be a better substitute for Richard burns rally, GT5P and my G25 that's for sure.

The plot thickens.

I am VERY excited to come home and start using my car properly, and look forward to improving my completely nonexistent driving skills with those of you who make it out.  Thank you so much to those of you who have advised me and those of you who sold me your used parts.  So excited to get out there!!

PS.  Saw a Subaru Justy in the town of Resolute!  Gonna try and get photos.  I am willing to bet its the most northern subaru in Canada.

Offline skylineguv

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Forum turncoat
  • Ride: '15 Macan Turbo - Jet Black
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 04:29:54 pm »
So are the RCE yellows or the RCE blacks going on the car?......you've listed both :)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »
So are the RCE yellows or the RCE blacks going on the car?......you've listed both :)

Blacks :)

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 11:19:33 am »
Blacks :)

Do yellows and some rear strut spacers.  You won't regret it.

Looking good BTW - I like the mesh 18's.
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline STIFoRLiFe

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 STI
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »
Nice Subie!!! I couldn't help to notice you have a Black shift knob! I have a silver one if you wanted to trade? if not i understand black is sweet... 

delete when you want thanx

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »
Do yellows and some rear strut spacers.  You won't regret it.

Looking good BTW - I like the mesh 18's.

Reason I am going with blacks is to increase the front end ground clearance in the winter, the spring rates only change by 10lbs anyway.  Mesh's were actually just sold to a friend in favor of Saar's old BBS wheels with RE-01R's.  The biggest reason to do that was when i switched to my bbs winters, i found a HUGE difference in the way the car handled because the wheels were so much lighter.  I actually couldn't believe the difference when i switched over. 

Come to think of it, most of those parts on that list i posted are used.  Well.  All the major ones at least.  I even have the Ohlins WSC town hookers.  4th owner of that setup hahahah.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 06:32:06 pm »
Nice Subie!!! I couldn't help to notice you have a Black shift knob! I have a silver one if you wanted to trade? if not i understand black is sweet... 

delete when you want thanx

Sure dont!  Mine was bought from killer bee motorsports, a vendor i found on IWSTI.  I LOVE IT.  its not really weighted, thats its only downfall but it doesnt get cold or hot and is the perfect size :)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Project blue
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »
 >:D

Figured ide add, that if anyone actually reads this, the whiteline gold camber plates will be up for sale august 1st, as well as the RCE yellows.  The powder coating is a bit trashed but the springs seem to still be in good condish. 

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:49 pm »

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »
like i said earlier.  This setup is like the WSC town bike.  Everyones had a ride.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:48 pm »
Yup. Not really impressed with Ohlins corrosion proofing methods. Atleast they still work the same.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
Re: Project LUU
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:15 pm »
Could get them blasted and powdercoated.  Then again, the looks/finish of the parts under the car only matter to some :P

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Project LUU
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:24 pm »
Im not to concerned with how they look.  but if it starts having an effect structurally then ill do something about it.  I am just going to check it periodically to keep an eye on it.  It all looks like only surface corrosion.  I eventually want to get my summer wheels powdercoated in some form of gunmetal metallic so when that happens ill pull the struts and do them too.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: LUU the Blue Subaru
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
So.  2 good days followed my one bad one.

Maddad Gauges went well, minus the headache of short wires. 
Avic 920bt was a breeze

However, today I attempted to put on the SPT exhaust I bought.  No joy.  the midpipe bolts on the stock exhaust are not going to come off without a  a torch or grinder.  Neither of which I have.  And it would be a 30 min job on a lift.   Still green with mechanics, but electronics are my friend.  I nearly stripped one of the bolts (pb was used of course, 3 times.  for 2 hours) 

Better to just pay a shops labor for 30 min. 

Stupid rusty heat seized bolts.

I also found out that even though I rented the spring compressors I forgot to buy a open ended 17mm socket wrench, so no joy there either.  DRAT.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 07:52:15 am »
However, today I attempted to put on the SPT exhaust I bought.  No joy.  the midpipe bolts on the stock exhaust are not going to come off without a  a torch or grinder.  Neither of which I have.  And it would be a 30 min job on a lift.   Still green with mechanics, but electronics are my friend.  I nearly stripped one of the bolts (pb was used of course, 3 times.  for 2 hours) 

Better to just pay a shops labor for 30 min. 

Stupid rusty heat seized bolts.

I also found out that even though I rented the spring compressors I forgot to buy a open ended 17mm socket wrench, so no joy there either.  DRAT.

Two suggestions...

1. Take a butane torch to the bolts and nuts, hit them with a hammer and then try the wrenches.

2. If that doesn't work, find an impact wrench and a long/wobbly extension. I managed to get 8 year old seized bolts (mid-pipe/down-pipe connection) off that way.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 10:37:40 am »

You don't need spring compressors for the rear, there is hardly any preload, I removed the springs on my own. The fronts you might need a buddy, but again, compressors aren't necessary.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:22 pm »
So.  Over the past week or so, I have managed by myself to install the maddad gauges, the new nav system, and a few other odds and ends and then today, Stu and I blew through Kartboy SS bushings (still waiting for my new boot before i install the shifter itself), Ohlins, Blacks, KCA335s and the hood struts in under 3 hours.  We had to take apart the front factory struts for the washer, and remove the yellows and adjustable camber plates from the ohlins as well. 

Stu I cant thank you enough for the help.  It was really appreciated!!  BIG BIG thanks.  Ill drop by later this week after an alignment and we'll see whats what. 

Right now the alignment is WAY off.  Not sure about tow yet but camber is slightly positive in the front, so ill have that fixed on an alignment rack shortly. 

I can only post a short review of how i found them on the ride home.  I set the ohlins to 10 clicks from full stiff in the front and 8 in the rear.  It was really much more predictable then the factory struts.  I think i can probably set them 11 or 12 clicks from full stiff up front an 10 in the rear to get the best results for long trips but it seems pretty good the way it is now.  Bobble head is almost completely gone.  I cant really say much more until they are aligned and I have had a chance to play around.

....Thanks again Stu!

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 12:43:56 am »
Pics. Pics. PICS!
Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:35 am »
once the alignment is done ill post some.  :) Although you wont really see a lot.  blacks dont really lower the car much. (exactly what i wanted)

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 08:42:11 am »
Pics of gauges?

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 01:42:17 pm »

From my review in the review section.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 01:44:04 pm »
ah, sorry, must have missed that post....my bad.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »
Bit of worrying news,

Upon downshifts after letting of the throttle my car is making a hiss.  I am positive it is coming from the transmission/center diff.  I think I am overdue for a fluid change so I hope that solves my problem but thankfully I still have warranty for the moment.  I know ive heard most subarus do it but its gotten a bit louder then last summer.  Hopefully Motul tranny and diff fluid make this go away. 

EDIT:  after more playing around, I have determined with the help of my oil temp gauge, that it DOES NOT produce this noise unless the car is up to operating temperature.  It seems perfect under about 160 degrees F.  This sound is only audible in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear and only when I let off the throttle and let the tranny slow the car down.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »
Alignment numbers. 

Not decided yet if I am happy with them, in fact I dont think I am.  (Would REALLY appreciate Jasons input here, as to if i should bring it back to the shop and demand they adjust it)

Front
Caster - left  5.52
Caster - right  5.67

Camber - left  -1.07
Camber - right -1.67

toe - left  0.00
toe - right  0.01
toe - total  0.01

Rear

Camber - left  -1.30
Camber - right  -1.73

Toe - left  0.05
Toe - right  -0.05
Toe - total - 0.00

To me, right now, at least the Toe is pretty much zero, but unless I am going crazy, they didnt do a great job. 

Appreciate some input on this one, as I am no suspension guru.

I suppose i should also mention what this is on.

RCE blacks
Ohlins FPS
Whiteline KCA335
Group N rear top hats

There are no aftermarket camber bolts here.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 01:32:47 am »
Why is the left so different from the right on both the front AND back?

I know with nothing adj, I went max neg all the way around (rear's not really adj at all).

Because of my accident, I ended up w/ a .8 diff in the rear, but both fronts were -1.4
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.