Author Topic: CanehdianJs STi - Fin  (Read 118467 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Re: LUU the Blue Subaru
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 08:04:49 am »
Ya, I am going to go complain.  I have determined that if I center the steering wheel the car turns right. 

I told them to get the camber even but they said it would pull in a direction.....   

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 08:07:05 am »
Most shops put a little more camber in the passenger side to account for road crown so that it tracks straight on the highway.

I would have liked to see more camber up front but from the looks of it you don't have anything adjustable up there.  Did you ask them to max it out up front? Where did you take it?
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:16 am »
Fountain tire, and no.  I asked for about -1 in the rear and -1.5 up front.  They couldnt even find the front factory camber bolts.

Now yes I agree because of road camber its a bit better to have the passenger side slightly higher. 

But not 0.6 degrees.  Like I said, i feel a pull to the right if I center the steering wheel.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 08:11:05 am »
I get a shop called "Wheels Plus" to do my alignments for me, they are really good.  If it's possible to get that spec you want, they will do it.

http://www.wheels-plus.com/

Might want to check them out.  Tell em I sent you.  ;)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:08 am »
Honestly, book with Country Hills toyota, and get JasonMorrow to do it.. It's a trip to CGY, but honestly, well worth it IMO. I was in/out in 30 mins, and it was a great alignment.

If you book tuning with Sunny, he usually meets right outside Country Hills Toyota anyways.. So double the fun!
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 12:23:20 pm »
I am too busy until sept to get it all done but ya, thats my most likely plan :)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:17 pm »
My thoughts on the Ohlins/Blacks/Whiteline KCA335 and group Ns.

Wow.  It feels like a car where each wheel does its own thing not a boat.  No more rocking from the front suspension to the rear, no more jolting, no more bobble head.  The blacks give a mild but noticable drop and perfect ride height, low but not too low and its offset by the V-limited lip.  And when winter shows up, off comes the lip and up goes the ground clearance.  As far as I am concerned this is a giagantic win.  So far I have only tried 2 settings and both were on the relatively stiff end of the spectrum.   10 and 8 from full stiff and right now I am set to 12 and 11(rear) from full stiff.  I am going to crank it to 14-13 tonight and see what kind of difference this makes on the highway but it seems like the effective adjustment range for the blacks is 15-15 to 8-8 while still making full use of the suspension potential.   Plus the alignment has been fixed and its made a big difference.  As much as the cost of this setup was, i feel like It has solved almost all of the things I disliked about the car.

My thoughts on the Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings.

Not much to say here if you have read the other reviews.  This mod is a MUST DO.  Cheap and very effective

Photos to come. 

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:59 pm »
little update

I also have these still kicking around in my garage.  Not gonna use em, so ill repost them in the for sale later

I am working with Cory at interior flair to rid myself of the ugly green interior lighting and plan on having the driver seat re-upholstered.  Also, got dibs on a cobb down pipe with a cat, so it looks like stage 2 for the spring.  All i need now is some sways and I can call this done. (minus stuff like a spec c roof vent and odds and ends) 

Compression and leak down yesterday along with the spark plug change for 96000km came back pretty much flawless.  I am ready to take this thing fully off warranty and giver. 

Any advice on sways is appreciated.  I have already been looking into two solutions and thats the 25.5mm RCEs and the 24mm Whitelines.  I hear that the RCEs are better build quality and what not but I also here they are more suited for track driving.  Since my car is a DD first, and a toy second, i would love to hear input on this.

Cheers everyone. 

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »
FWIW I love my Whiteline 22mm sways/endlinks, front is at the stiff setting, rear at the mid setting, so this is equivalent to "24mm" IIRC.  They've been on for 8 or 9 months and still look brand new.  My car is also a DD, driven spiritedly on occasion. 

Don't bother using the WL grease however, it does not last.  My front bar is getting noisy, planning on temporarily fixing it with some spray silicone lube until I can take them off and add some Energy Suspension grease which holds up much better according to the intarwebz.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:16 am »
who has new RCE 25.5 mm sways on the way from dales?
<--------------This guy.

Also, semperit speed grip winters are on, how nice it is to not have bald winters anymore!  (Thanks WSC member... you know who you are)

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 12:03:47 pm »
Im responding late but:

I would have voted for the whitelines because they are of solid construction.  RCE's are hollow if i remember correctly, and one of the biggest drawbacks i hear is that they can dent from debris running under the car. It was explained to me that once the tube is dented it becomes structurally weaker and thus doesnt do its job as well.  also, the dents can lead to premature failure and accelerated corrosion. 

It could have been total BS, but i liked the idea of Solid metal bars (even if they are a bit heavy) so i went whiteline.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 12:31:17 pm »
^ I've heard of Whitelines rusting badly but not RCE's.

I also bought RCE's, mainly becuase Dale's had a good sale on and they have washer tabs.

They are also HUGE!  :o

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2011, 01:46:45 pm »
^ I've heard of Whitelines rusting badly but not RCE's.

I also bought RCE's, mainly becuase Dale's had a good sale on and they have washer tabs.

They are also HUGE!  :o

When spring hits i imagine i'll be swapping out the endlinks, so i'll have to take a look at the swaybar.  After 1 year, im hoping to see minimal elemental damage.  We'll see!

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »
More news.  I spent 20 min today installing some air pump lumbar supports for the awesome  ::)  sti seats.  More then worth the 70$ and they are remotely adjustable.  Looking into some future mods.....

-Tomei expreme UEL headers
-Cobb catted DP to mate up to my SPT exhaust
-Cobb Crank pully

and then various bushings to remove all the driveline slack.  My warranty is over.  Let play time begin.

Anyone have experience with the headers above?  Please chime on on fitment and thoughts!

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »
I would do the train bushings before anything else.
If I had to do it all over again?
stg1 -> Bushings (all) -> sways+endlinks -> struts+springs/coils -> stg2 -> stg eleventy

I know what I use my car for is different from your purposes and goals, but just the bushings makes driving the car much more "fun" due to the precision and tightness it brings.
IBqotd+twss

But, it does also bring more of that "race" factor into the car. Noisy, clunky, stiff.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 10:43:35 am »
Was looking through your build thread nice car!

I also heard that you pulled back the springs in your seat to give them more bolster? is this true? if so can you show how it is done?

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 12:11:17 pm »
I would do the train bushings before anything else.
If I had to do it all over again?
stg1 -> Bushings (all) -> sways+endlinks -> struts+springs/coils -> stg2 -> stg eleventy

I know what I use my car for is different from your purposes and goals, but just the bushings makes driving the car much more "fun" due to the precision and tightness it brings.
IBqotd+twss

But, it does also bring more of that "race" factor into the car. Noisy, clunky, stiff.

Well i already have the springs and struts done, i have sways and endlinks in the basement and I am already stage 1 tuned with a catback.  I have rear diff bushings in the basement and have already done the shifter bushings and short shift.  so that leaves transmission mount?  I already have so many noises, whats a few more.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2011, 12:13:53 pm »
Was looking through your build thread nice car!

I also heard that you pulled back the springs in your seat to give them more bolster? is this true? if so can you show how it is done?

yes.  did that, planning on removing the seat and playing with the upholstery foam in the spring.  essentially open the back of the seat, sit in it, yank the springs back with some big pliers, sit in it, etc and adjust.  With the ones on the butt, yank em down an inch and then shove some foam between them and the factory foam.  I felt the seat springs when i sat in it so i needed more foam. 

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2011, 12:55:36 pm »
I have rear diff bushings in the basement and have already done the shifter bushings and short shift.  so that leaves transmission mount?  I already have so many noises, whats a few more.

Now you've opened yourself up.  >:D

Engine mounts.
Dogbone.
Trans mount.
Trans crossmember.
Steering rack.
Diff support locks.
Subframe lock.
Outrigger.
Clunk killer.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »
Now you've opened yourself up.  >:D

Engine mounts.
Dogbone.
Trans mount.
Trans crossmember.
Steering rack.   - Have it
Diff support locks.
Subframe lock.
Outrigger. - Think i have it, cant remember, too lazy to check
Clunk killer. - Have it - soft version, not race

Waiting to get into my alley, as i cannot reach my garage to install  ::)

ill start a collection though.  I am hoping to stay within the bounds of STU so that I can still come out and play.  It also puts limits on the mount of money i can potentially spend which is a VERY good thing.   

thanks snax.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »
STU does limit the stuff you can do.
ALK and diff/subframe lock bolts aren't allowed.
I think you're alright with the other stuff, but I don't know for sure. You'll have to read the book. I stick with rules of SP, since that's where I play.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2011, 04:45:24 pm »
Found this.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/206293-bushings-rubber-vs-polyurethane.html

Cool info, and may or may not change your mind on some of the bushings.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
LUU the Blue Subaru
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »
Found this.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/206293-bushings-rubber-vs-polyurethane.html

Cool info, and may or may not change your mind on some of the bushings.

I already have read that. Thanks though, I'll be avoiding poly where ever I can in favor of group n.  I am curious on one thing though.  I may buy a prova d wheel and am trying to work out the rules on it as stu says the steering wheel must remain unmodified if it has an airbag but the Prova keeps the airbag....

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2011, 10:13:53 pm »
I havent had much sleep lately but a little update.  Bought all the driveline bushings i can under the STU rules tonight and registered for ASA and the school.  Gonna need to get a down pipe and tune before hand to stay in STU like i plan to.  Damd wheel is in but one tooth to the right off, I am aware that it says no modifications to the steering wheel in the rules but am hoping nobody will bring up the issue as it does not modify the airbag in any way and was a direct swap.  It also meets the requirement of the stock rules being less then an inch smaller outside diameter.   Pics to come of said interior mods later.  I also put in a red lighting kit from Interior flair.  Green is now a thing of the past, and just one less thing to bug me with this car.  Sways are in the basement awaiting my garage and some time to install them.  Oil change tomorrow and off comes the skid plate and on goes the plastic one (ugh) and barring no issues the adapter from maddad should shut my oil pressure gauge up.  it bounces around at 120kph.  Ill be staying on my winters until I am sure it wont snow again or until autocross starts :)  Been busy lately. 

:)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »
Wheel? What wheel? That uber expensive really nice one?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.