Author Topic: Official WSC Olympics Thread  (Read 21783 times)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Official WSC Olympics Thread
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:21:54 am »
So, since it's starting tonight with the Opening Ceremonies, what are everyone's thoughts on the Olympics. This thread is for predictions, thoughts, complaints about the Olympics.

Here are my thoughts:

a) I think Wayne Gretzky should be the final torch bearer. Despite the fact that he never actually played in the Olympics, he has been involved in them for the past few and was a big supporter of getting the games to Vancouver. The rumour was that Walter Gretzky would be the second-to-last torch bearer and he would hand it off to his son, but they have come out and said that it wont be him, which I can respect. It would be good to have someone from BC light the flame, but Im not sure who. Steve Nash? Arguably one of BC's most famous Athletes, but not a winter sport type of guy.

b) On the idea that we shouldn't have hosted the Olympics. On one hand, I understand that sentiment. The olympics have become more about the sponsorship and marketing than about the athletics. Its sad to see that happen to what was once a very noble tradition. However, I think that there is still a lot of good that comes from the Olympics. Who in this country isn't hoping for the Men's (or Women's) Hockey Team to win gold? Think about how united the country would be and how crazy it would be if we won. Athletes like Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes, moments like winning Hockey gold in Salt Lake City.. those are things that young kids can aspire to. Yes, there are scandals that occur during the games, and, the media being who they are, issues like that will get a lot of air time, but I think it's up to us as a population to focus on the positives from the games and not the negatives.

Another point regarding hosting the games is that they cost a lot and that money would be better spent going toward social programs, education and health care. A lot of the money that is spent on the games simply didn't exist prior to the decision to host them in Vancouver. Yes, the provincial government spent a lot of money on the games but they did so with the expectation that the province will get a lot of money as a result of all the sponsorship dollars and tourists coming to Vancouver. Social programs may not have received as much as they wanted, but its not like every dollar that was spent on the Olympics could have been spent on those programs instead. Without the Olympics, there would be no hope of making that investment back, and therefore, a large proportion of that wouldn't have been spent at all. I do, however, agree that the only cities that will see any benefit from the Olympics are Vancouver and to a lesser extent, Victoria. The rest of the province has been made to suffer so that those cities could prosper. Im not sure of the solution to that.

c) Men's Hockey.

I think Canada is fielding a really strong team and I like the approach they've taken of choosing a core group of players and then choosing the rest of the team to complement them. I think they learned from Turin where they tried to choose all superstars. Im looking forward to seeing the San Jose line together because I think the chemistry they've demonstrated this season will be an advantage over players who've never played together before. I think that Brodeur should get the start but Luongo will play in game 2. We shouldn't have a problem with either of those teams and that gives both goalies a chance to show their stuff. Whomever plays better should have the start vs the US next Sunday.

Im worried about Team Sweden and Russia. I dont think the US is fielding a very strong team, but they have a lot of gritty players and a goalie who can play spectacularly and has proven himself, so anything can happen. I think that Russia is going to be ridiculous. They have so much firepower and their defence isn't anything to sneeze at. Sweden is a team full of snipers. They might not be as physical as any of the other top teams, but they'll be great on the rush and their superb passing will be difficult to deal with. To be honest, those are the only teams I am seriously worried about.

Those are my thoughts on the games for now. I've got my jersey on, my mittens sitting next to me and Im ready to drink some beer and shout myself hoarse. Go CANADA!
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Dano

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A few
Re: Official WSC Olympics Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:55 am »
Take off your cute little red mittens and go work on your car!!

J/k I like watching the olympics, its a bummer that Cypress has no snow, but hopefully they get it set for the freestyle events to happen anyways!
'93 Prelude SI H23VTEC 11.6:1 M2B4, 12.93 @ 108.21 MPH.
'02 Subaru WRX HKS, Invidia, Volk CE-28N, lots of Sti parts. Great winter beater.
'06 RSX Type-S Bone stock - for now
'11 GMC Sierra 4X4 - pulls stuff

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:23:31 pm »
Uggh they just showed that luge accident on all the tvs in the +15 on my building (Suncor Energy Centre) at lunch. What a horrific crash. I can't believe they showed it. I hope the guy is okay, but I really doubt he is.

I am super psyched for the Olympics though. Go Canada and boo to those people that are against them.  :D

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 01:34:22 pm »
I am *so* looking forward to my commute home tonight :P
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:45:36 pm »
I don' t think Vancouver was a great choice to host the winter games.  Not because it's not an awesome city, but just because of the weather!!  I've had my fingers crossed for months hoping that it would work out for the city.  It's going to be such an awesome event, and I wish I could go!!  That speed skating oval (that's my fave sport to watch at the Olympics... or maybe hockey) looks really really cool.  I'm glad Vancouver gets a turn at this, I think it's awesome.

I think Canada's going to have an awesome showing there.  For hockey, we're gonna have a pretty tough run, there is some stiff competition on the mens side.  I'm really interested to see how we do in alpine skiing.  We've been steadily climbing the ranks in the world (well, a lot higher than we have been for years!) and I think we could do some surprises on home turf.  The nordic skiing will also be really interesting.  We have this awesome training facility from the '88 games in Canmore, but haven't been really strong at it for a long time.  I guess it just always comes down to money, eh?

The Olympics are awesome.  Just for the fact that it turns a city into a global melting pot for a while.  I could do without the sponsorship and the advertising, but the games have become so expensive that it's what it takes to get them going.  I get to watch olympic short-track speed skating though, so dynamite.  The legacy they leave is also amazing; I want to go to Beijing just to see that aquatic center.  The Calgary games were 22 years ago, but countries still come here to train their Olympic speed skaters.  What a boon for the Kines faculty at the U of C!  The Nordic Center in Canmore is also a world-class facility that hosts world cup events in the winter, and has amazing mountain biking in the summer.  I think Vancouver will be reaping the benefits of this for years to come.  Come on, the sky train goes to the airport now; ain't no way that woulda happened without the Olympics coming.  If it'd been there when I was living in Richmond, I coulda walked to 3 road to take the train to the airport, instead of dealing with an angry cabbie because I wanted such a short ride.
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »
I don' t think Vancouver was a great choice to host the winter games.  Not because it's not an awesome city, but just because of the weather!!  I've had my fingers crossed for months hoping that it would work out for the city.  It's going to be such an awesome event, and I wish I could go!!  That speed skating oval (that's my fave sport to watch at the Olympics... or maybe hockey) looks really really cool.  I'm glad Vancouver gets a turn at this, I think it's awesome.

The geotechnical engineering firm behind the speed skating oval made some mistakes. Its sinking (because its in richmond, built on silt) and at the current rate will lose its international accreditation in two years. Pretty huge mistake, not much they can do now. I think the tried to sink pilings but the bedrock is too deep.

Uggh they just showed that luge accident on all the tvs in the +15 on my building (Suncor Energy Centre) at lunch. What a horrific crash. I can't believe they showed it. I hope the guy is okay, but I really doubt he is.

I am super psyched for the Olympics though. Go Canada and boo to those people that are against them.  :D

Also really not impressed by that. I think, fine, they want to show a crash where the person lives, thats fine. It might not be a happy ending but at least you can walk away thinking, well, they're lucky to be alive. That's really poor taste to show a video where someone dies, especially so soon after.

That track seems really dangerous. Thats the 3rd crash since yesterday. The one yesterday, the Romanian athlete had to be airlifted out. This morning an Italian crashed but was ok. Now this. So far, more than a dozen athletes have crashed on the course during training.

Its been called the most challenging track in the world. 1.45km long. Drops over 150m for an average grade of 11%... two drops are 20% grade... the final corner... the fastest one... is taken at over 140km/h
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:13 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/12/nodar-kumaritashvili-cras_n_460474l

Not for the faint at heart. Oh and don't scroll down.

Edit: Sorry Zaider. Did not read your views on this one.

"That's really poor taste to show a video where someone dies, especially so soon after.
"

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »
^^On the part about the challenging track, didn't the Olympic officials that approved the track know it was going to be this difficult initially? Seems odd, and is too late now, to be determining it may be too dangerous or hard.

Hopefully the rest of the games are incident free, or at least tragidy free.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »
^^On the part about the challenging track, didn't the Olympic officials that approved the track know it was going to be this difficult initially? Seems odd, and is too late now, to be determining it may be too dangerous or hard.

Hopefully the rest of the games are incident free, or at least tragidy free.

You'd think so... but... there's a fine line between challenging and too dangerous.

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:58:06 pm »
Is this any different then super G on skis? In terms of dangerous and hard

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »
Is this any different then super G on skis? In terms of dangerous and hard

Im sure that there are similarities, but it all comes down to course design.. its not that one sport is more dangerous than the other, its that every place you go, the course is different. They built this one specifically for the olympics and a lot of athletes have said its the most challenging one in the world.

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 STi base
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 04:35:58 pm »
I don't understand why they didn't put some kind of safety net in that area where ALL of those damn steel poles are.

It's a sad thing to happen, and it could have been prevented if they put more safety measures in.
"It even smells of man...Burnt clutch, just splash it on before you go out for a curry and a fight." -Jeremy Clarkson on the STi

Offline soulvaccination

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '09 stg 2 non-flared fail-wagon
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:24:16 pm »
Good opening ceremony.  They lied through their teeth about Gretzky not lighting the torch.  Wankers! ::)

I can't believe the indoor torch "malfunctioned" but it's almost fitting for Canada's big show to not be perfectly polished and that we're able to laugh a bit at our own misfortune sometimes. 

If that happened in Russia someone would be shot for their failure by now.... :sarcasm:
"Throttle fixes everything.  Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem.  Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer."

-Sam Smith (Jalopnik writer)

Offline Chad

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ford Flex "AWD", Miss my Subie
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:34:29 pm »
It is disgusted how CTV continues to show the Luger crash.  I would have hoped are media would have a little respect there is no need to show him hitting the pole on the news over and over again..

The track isn't safe after the death, they should fly them all to Calgary to compete

Old Nick: Takemetoothemoon

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 02:00:09 am »
I think Wayne Gretzky should be the final torch bearer. Despite the fact that he never actually played in the Olympics, he has been involved in them for the past few and was a big supporter of getting the games to Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure Gretzky played at the 98 Nagano Olympics. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also thought he should have been the one to lite the behemoth of a torch.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:17 am »
A friend of mine shared this link with me: amazing photos of the torch relay in various parts of Canada:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/olympic_torch_relay_heads_to_v.html

It's a bit confusing as the images appear not to be in chronological order, but the photos are impressive:

Members of the Canadian men's eights rowing team carry the Olympic Torch in Saanich, British Columbia, October 30, 2009.
(REUTERS/Andy Clark)

Surfer Raph Bruhwiler carries the Olympic Torch while coming ashore along Pacific Rim National Park just outside Tofino, British Columbia November 1, 2009.
(REUTERS/Andy Clark)

A polar bear is seen walking along the road as the Olympic flame arrives in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, Sunday, Nov. 8, 2009.
(AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Jonathan Hayward)

Torchbearer Brenda Eckalook is seen carrying the Olympic flame across the frozen bay by dogsled in Resolute Bay, Nunavut, Canada, on Monday, Nov. 9, 2009.

Torchbearer Donna O'Grady holds up the Olympic flame as the sun rises over the ocean in Cape Spear, Canada, Friday, Nov. 13, 2009.
Cape Spear is the most easternly point in Canada and North America.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »
You guys do realize that we have a local WSC member who is an Olympian?

Good luck goldrush!

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/athletes/740730#bio

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 12:59:47 pm »
~ Calvin ~

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 07:23:14 pm »
Alexandre Bilodeau brings home Canada's first gold medal in Men's Moguls

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »
Yeah! Such a great run.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Flelford

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:50 pm »
His brother's reaction was priceless, could ask for any better of a story.
Brian Williams interviewed the family and Darren Dutchyshen came in with a bottle of champagne and had them do a toast. His brother doesn't drink alcohol but didn't hesitate to drink to toast his brother, and his underage sister downed her glass pretty fast as well haha

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:55 am »
His brother's reaction was priceless, could ask for any better of a story.
Brian Williams interviewed the family and Darren Dutchyshen came in with a bottle of champagne and had them do a toast. His brother doesn't drink alcohol but didn't hesitate to drink to toast his brother, and his underage sister downed her glass pretty fast as well haha

Haha, I saw that. I was like "did they just give that underage girl alcohol on national TV??" Sweet.

It was a very special moment in Canadian history that I shant soon forget.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:19 am »
Im super pumped for our hockey teams. 

Ive been glued to the screen for both of the Woman's hockey games thus far.  Actually ive been relatively glued to the screen since Saturday.  I have CTV on the TV and im streaming TSN and/or SportsNet on the PC's.

Saturday morning my gf wakes up and comes out to me watching all 3 channels at once w/ a beer in my hand:  This is what the olympics is to me.

I cant wait for the mens game tonight

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:26 am »
SWEEET. My gf and I just booked super cheap tickets to Vancouver. Saturday night to Tuesday night... $209 return via Air Canada. Have friend's places to crash... now i just need to stomach the ticket cost for some events.... but even if i dont see anything, im freaking stoked!!

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »
SWEEET. My gf and I just booked super cheap tickets to Vancouver. Saturday night to Tuesday night... $209 return via Air Canada. Have friend's places to crash... now i just need to stomach the ticket cost for some events.... but even if i dont see anything, im freaking stoked!!

It's a zoo over here right now.

No really, there are giraffes and elephants walking down Robson.